You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Whats your view.... chat abuse

edited August 2015 in Poker Chat

Ok so last night I was playing 100NL when a guy I have had a few battles with at 50NL comes to the table being abusive.... he then trys to persuade the guy I am playing to leave my game and play him instead.... the guy does not leave a plays but I report the incident to sky chat.

We continue playing and an hour later he starts again... this time full on abuse swearing the lot and again trys to persuade the player to leave.

I speak to the same agent and complain a second time and ask how at minimum he has not been chat banned. Chat inform me they cant discuss what will happen but it will be treated very seriously.

Fast forward to today and he is still playing and still abusing in the chat box????

Really tilts me how this has not been dealt with... or am i over reacting?

Surely trying to steal people from a HU table should be a major violation?

Comments

• edited August 2015
    hardly a major violation. perhaps bad etiquette but not any violation

chat abuse is just always going to be a part of any online platform, so just don't let it affect you and carry on playing as you normally would
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Whats your view.... chat abuse:
    Ok so last night I was playing 100NL when a guy I have had a few battles with at 50NL comes to the table being abusive.... he then trys to persuade the guy I am playing to leave my game and play him instead.... the guy does not leave a plays but I report the incident to sky chat. We continue playing and an hour later he starts again... this time full on abuse swearing the lot and again trys to persuade the player to leave. I speak to the same agent and complain a second time and ask how at minimum he has not been chat banned. Chat inform me they cant discuss what will happen but it will be treated very seriously. Fast forward to today and he is still playing and still abusing in the chat box???? Really tilts me how this has not been dealt with... or am i over reacting? Surely trying to steal people from a HU table should be a major violation?
    Posted by Itsover4u
    If anything, I'd imagine the ranting and raving in the CB is more likely to deter the opponent from leaving your game to play with him.

Maybe you worded it wrong but the last question comes across quite badly. You don't own the player, they are not a loaf of bread. If they want to play against you then they will, if they want to play the other guy then they will.
  • edited August 2015
    yes it is worded badly. I just cant imagine why someone would go to the lengths to try to steal opponents. 

Either way I do think sky should of chat banned him for x amount of time... what he was saying was nothing short of vile and would put new players off the site completely should he say the same stuff on a regular basis
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Whats your view.... chat abuse:
    Ok so last night I was playing 100NL when a guy I have had a few battles with at 50NL comes to the table being abusive.... he then trys to persuade the guy I am playing to leave my game and play him instead.... the guy does not leave a plays but I report the incident to sky chat. We continue playing and an hour later he starts again... this time full on abuse swearing the lot and again trys to persuade the player to leave. I speak to the same agent and complain a second time and ask how at minimum he has not been chat banned. Chat inform me they cant discuss what will happen but it will be treated very seriously. Fast forward to today and he is still playing and still abusing in the chat box???? Really tilts me how this has not been dealt with... or am i over reacting? Surely trying to steal people from a HU table should be a major violation?
    Posted by Itsover4u
    Unfortunately Customer Services cannot instantly chat ban a player, however, they will send your complaint across to the sky poker team who will then look at the chat logs and deal with it accordingly.

Why does it take so long?.................
    Well it's pretty simple.......
    The matter has to be fully investigated before any action can be taken. Lets say for instance a player reported YOU for something that wasn't true, maybe because he didn't like you or for whatever reason. if you were then instantly chat banned just on the other players say so, I think you would be pretty unhappy.

You are right to report abuse & abusive language, but don't expect an instant ban, but it will be dealt with in due course & in the proper manner.

In the meantime, there is a handy little tool in the chatbox which enables you to turn "Observer Chat" off whilst you are playing.

Best of luck
  • edited August 2015

There are 2 separate issues here.

Trying to "steal" your opponent is bad form, bad etiquette, but not really against any rules that I am aware of, other than, perhaps, playing the game in a reasonable manner.

"Chat abuse" & the like, however, is a different kettle of fish. The reply by PokerTrev is spot on, they try not to ban without a full investigation into their previous chat history. A first offence may result in a warning (as in a sort of Yellow Card) with the next offence being a red card. That's seems right & proper to me.  

However, this would normally be done by the Poker Team, not the Customer Care Team, & it's a Bank Holiday, so it may not get properly investigated until the Team return tomorrow. I believe Sam or Dan are the dynamic duo who sort these matters.  

I hope it gets properly looked at - I'm sure it will - & you don't suffer this unacceptable abuse again.

Here's a bonus for you - our Dynamic Duo, Dan & Sam at work. For a bonus point, which is which?

• edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Whats your view.... chat abuse:
    There are 2 separate issues here. Trying to "steal" your opponent is bad form, bad etiquette, but not really against any rules that I am aware of, other than, perhaps, playing the game in a reasonable manner.   "Chat abuse" & the like, however, is a different kettle of fish. The reply by PokerTrev is spot on, they try not to ban without a full investigation into their previous chat history. A first offence may result in a warning (as in a sort of Yellow Card) with the next offence being a red card. That's seems right & proper to me.   However, this would normally be done by the Poker Team, not the Customer Care Team, & it's a Bank Holiday, so it may not get properly investigated until the Team return tomorrow. I believe Sam or Dan are the dynamic duo who sort these matters.   I hope it gets properly looked at - I'm sure it will - & you don't suffer this unacceptable abuse again.   Here's a bonus for you - our Dynamic Duo, Dan & Sam at work. For a bonus point, which is which?    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Dan Robin, Sam Batman lol
  • edited August 2015

The worst chat box abuse I have seen comes in HU, I guess the format lends itself to such things, often people are more restrained when there are others able to see what is being typed (of course people forget that this, like twitter or facebook is visible to anyone railing etc. and can be copied via screenshot  but lets not credit these fuds with a brain).

I have to say compared with other sites chat box abuse on Sky is very tame (another good reason to play here), interestingly rather like real life the more subtle and cutting the comments the more you will think about them, someone ranting, namecalling and abusing in that manner actually doesn't bother me, although I do sometimes bite.....only human.

Trolling and stalking as described above is more disturbing, I did once have someone pop up in nearly all my games for a couple of days after busting him/her (very likely with some dubious play ;-))), at first i just thought sad b**** but then it started to become annoying, particularly as you can't perma ban someone, I know you can switch them off, but then you don't know what they are saying about you ;-)
  • edited August 2015
    Two days ago I got told , "I didnt realize you were that terrible a player"

That really hurt.
     From a reg i respect too.

Deeply cutting truths hurt more than random abuse.

• edited August 2015
    I'm in the office doing a few things, I will look at this for you.
  • edited August 2015
    Good afternoon everyone.
    I myself have been abused in the chatbox, normally after i have imposed a bad beat  on said player.
    And always in micro stakes and freerolls, have watched big buy in tournaments and havent noticed any abuse.
    This chat box abuse is far outweighed by the positive chat and well wishes from most players.
    My view on it  is dont take it seriously, and know the difference between banter and abuse.
    All the best.
    Rainman397.
    p.s has anyone mentioned Phantom's HU CHALLENGE.

• edited August 2015
    Itsover4u, agreee that the language used was completely out of order and shouldn't be brushed under the carpet.

I have taken action against the player in question.

Have a nice bank holiday
  • edited August 2015
    As I play classic view I could be getting a world of abuse in the chat boxes and never know :D
  • edited August 2015
    just turn the chat off simples if u get involved in the chat u will lose focus on the game thats what he wants dnt go to his level and take his money :)
  • edited August 2015
    Itsover4u , agreee that the language used was completely out of order and shouldn't be brushed under the carpet. I have taken action against the player in question. Have a nice bank holiday
    Posted by Sky_Dan
    Thanks Dan appreciated
  • edited August 2015
    As I play classic view I could be getting a world of abuse in the chat boxes and never know :D
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    I just thought you had been ignoring my comments!
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Whats your view.... chat abuse : I just thought you had been ignoring my comments!
    Posted by MattBates
    I would do that anyway even if I could see the chat :P