You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How would you play this hand post flop?

edited September 2015 in The Poker Clinic

Hopefully the cut and paste job has worked, essentially I had pocket K's against 5's. I flat called as I was confident I could get the player to bet off his chips on most flops rather than potentially either chase him away pre-flop with a 3-bet or get a call and then a scared check fold if he missed the flop. Obviously at this stage I have no idea what he is holding but I want all his chips not just the pre-flop bet as I was at the business end of the tourney and would end up shipping with a lot worse as the blinds whizz round.

As below he ended up flopping an open end straight, I could have had 2 over cards and he has outs so not against his play.

Here's my questions (you'll see lower on the page my question on set vs set, or as I wrongly called it trips, I just wanted to say a quick thank you for all your help with that one):

1. If you were him, would you have played the hand differently? (I'm interested as I thought it was a reasonable play on his part however he is a losing player overall)

2. I know I could have 3 bet pf, in your experience should I be doing that here or trying to reel him in to pay me off for my premium hand?

3. How would you have played the flop, had I checked the flop and jammed the turn he may have still called believing his hand was good but if he was calling on the flop with his outs, that becomes a lot scarier with only one card to come, would that be a play? 

4. Leading on from 3, how scared should I be of an open ended straight when I'm holding pocket K's? (at the time I was scared of a set but wouldn't have folded my K's) 

5. If we played that exact hand the same way, would I be profiting hugely in the long run? 

6. Are you ever folding pocket K's on a low flop?

7. My last question, are you ever jamming or betting to scare an opponent off or are you calculating the overall profit/loss in the long run from the odds of the outcome against your bet?

Ok, one more if you have the time, flopped 2 cards to give you a flush draw, would you happily check jam your flush draw, would you ever check 3 bet and then price yourself into a call if they come over the top taking away your fold equity?

All your help is greatly appreciated, I do love this game but sometimes feel as though it doesn't love me back. ;)

Hand History #948816719 (00:09 21/09/2015)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Wacko90 Small blind  800.00 800.00 25119.00
JCordy Big blind  1600.00 2400.00 48106.25
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

WOMBAT2011 Raise  3200.00 5600.00 28812.00
deJoka Fold     
flyrod Fold     
Marcusb169 Call  3200.00 8800.00 42150.00
Wacko90 Fold     
JCordy Fold     
Flop

WOMBAT2011 Bet  3887.00 12687.00 24925.00
Marcusb169 Raise  7774.00 20461.00 34376.00
WOMBAT2011 All-in  24925.00 45386.00 0.00
Marcusb169 Call  21038.00 66424.00 13338.00
WOMBAT2011 Show

Marcusb169 Show
  • K
  • K

Turn

• Q

River

WOMBAT2011 Win Straight to the 7 66424.00  66424.00

Comments

• edited September 2015
    You were a 60.51% favourite on the flop - keep getting it in there and you'll win in the long run. He can show up with lots of overpairs that you beat and he probably plays them the same way.

I'm by no means an expert but I didn't mind how you played it.
  • edited September 2015
    1) possibly, but depends on previous dynamics

2) I prefer a small 3bet, the later we get in the tournament we should be upping our pre-flop aggression anyway so 3 betting shouldnt mean we must have a premium hand

3) definitely be raising, but probably slightly bigger as min raising always comes across as very fishy

4) you should definitely be looking to get it in as you get value from 55-QQ and yes a small percentage of the time you are crushed but its about the long term

5) that purely depends how good you are at playing post flop. 

6) unlikely against one opponent, but lets say its 3/4 ways on a 567 3 club flop then very possibly dependng on the action

7) generally you are only ever betting to get value, to bluff or to semi bluff. Just to scare someone off probably isnt a good enough reason. but you are always looking to get it in ahead or with big equity for long term profitability

8) if i had under 30bbs and i have a nut flush draw then im likely 3 betting to get it in or jamming if i can make it look like a jam for value, if im over 30 bbs then if you start jamming or putting in commiting 3 bets on a board like that you often give away your hand to an opponent plus with 40+ big blinds you can afford to see a turn card and wait for better spots to get in