You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Too much of a gutsy River Bluff?

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
20/40p Blinds

ChirpyChip: Pre flop - 6h 7d limp 20p
Hurst05: Raised Pre flop - Raised £1.20 ( Unknown hand)
ChirpyChip: Call £1.20

Flop: Ac Qh 7c

ChirpyChip: Check
Hurst05: Bet £2
ChirpyChip: Call

Turn: 5c

ChirpyChip: Check
Hurst05: Bet £3.60
ChirpyChip: Raise £13.77
Hurst: Call

River: Qs

ChirpyChip: Bet £24.77
Hurst05: Fold

Hi

I played this hand last week on Master Cash and wondered what you guys think.
I called pre flop to basically try and outplay him whatever the board came.

After hitting bottom pair which I clearly knew was no good, I floated the flop to re raise the turn if the flush hit to represent, but after calling a sizeable raise I either thought he had AK and was waiting to see what I did on the river or basically had a flush.

On the river however I decided to lead out with a big bet to take the pot after the board paired and pulled it off..... do you think it was an appropriate river card to bluff on considering the turn flat call and the flush and fh possibilites?

Cheers

Comments

• edited January 2010

He who dares, wins ;)
  • edited January 2010
    lol Dohhh no hard feelings bout the other night mate..... had tragic bad beat stories.... 1 after another... on major tilt..... hope you do well in Total Player! Gl
  • edited January 2010

NP! It was late, I'd had a few too many, which explains my play, not so much my reaction. Been out of bother for a while now but ur comments wound me up - especially the one about being out my depth at NL50, as its where I've played 85% of my cash poker on sky, and won consistantly over a 6/7 month period. 

Nevermind, onwards and upwards. 

Thanx 4 the gud wishes for tp, no doubt we'll meet at the tables that week, they're the hands I really wanna win. ;)

GL, DOHH

• edited January 2010
    It seems you are pre-deciding to bluff before hands are dealt which isn't a good strategy.  You should instead be picking good spots along the way.
    The preflop limp with 67o is not a good play but calling the 6x raise...when out of position.... is poor play.
    Check calling the flop is marginal at best with bottom pair taking into account the times opponent has an A or Q or both.  You should be assigning hand ranges for him taking into account his preflop raise.  Normally you should be assuming he has a mid or better pocket pair, A decent ace, or suited broadway cards... sometimes suited connectors. All said this is a bad flop for yr 67.
    Turn i presume yr repping the flush which is an option if you really dont want to give up but can be spewy against some opponents.  Yr now commited so the river shove is neither here nor there although you've met resistance 3 times with big bets so far and shouldn't be surprised when opponent calls quite often.....especially if he has notes on you.

Overall i don't like the hand an in the longrun you will lose money playing like this.  Better to just fold preflop imo...... altho i'm a nit so take my comments with a pinch lol
  • edited January 2010

it got all the signs that hurst05 was holding kk,

what do you think guys/gals ?

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Too much of a gutsy River Bluff?:
    It seems you are pre-deciding to bluff before hands are dealt which isn't a good strategy.  You should instead be picking good spots along the way. The preflop limp with 67o is not a good play but calling the 6x raise...when out of position.... is poor play. Check calling the flop is marginal at best with bottom pair taking into account the times opponent has an A or Q or both.  You should be assigning hand ranges for him taking into account his preflop raise.  Normally you should be assuming he has a mid or better pocket pair, A decent ace, or suited broadway cards... sometimes suited connectors. All said this is a bad flop for yr 67. Turn i presume yr repping the flush which is an option if you really dont want to give up but can be spewy against some opponents.  Yr now commited so the river shove is neither here nor there although you've met resistance 3 times with big bets so far and shouldn't be surprised when opponent calls quite often.....especially if he has notes on you. Overall i don't like the hand an in the longrun you will lose money playing like this.  Better to just fold preflop imo...... altho i'm a nit so take my comments with a pinch lol
    Posted by cottlad

Ye cheers Cottlad appreciate the feedback..... I dont normally make moves that spewy.. had a bad few days and was running wild.... just thought the river shove would throw him off and your right... more often than not I'd get called and look like a total mug... ah well 1 for the win column I spose :)