You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Some light reading.....

edited September 2015 in Poker Chat

Just penned a bit of a blog on Sky Poker.

Fancy a read?

Here you go.

Hope you enjoy, & maybe comment as you see fit.

http://bit.ly/1MIx3mR

Comments

• edited September 2015
    best of luck with 15 days teeks!
    always enjoy your lookbacks

• edited September 2015
    meanwhile did you know arf appears in the urban dictionary as 
    Term meaning a person of African decent who cannot swim or swim well.
    are you adding subliminal references to current crises in all your commentary? first VW, now this!
  • edited September 2015

Nice blog post, good lunchtime reading.

Tony 'The Lizard' Bloom used to be quite visible in poker and sports tipping articles but don't see him any more, guess running a football club does that to a person.

The one thing I never understood was how the (successful) high rollers like him (and I guess Mr Channing as well) were ever able to keep making money from sports betting. All you hear these days are average Joe Punter getting restricted to penny bets as soon as he/she has a successful run. How do the high rollers keep getting bookies to take their bets and keep them coining it in?

Doesn't seem like 10 years since durrrrrr was tearing up the game. Time must have flown in the last decade :(

• edited September 2015
    Enjoyed that, always like the nostalgia stuff around old poker tournaments. Feels like there are nowhere near enough colourful characters these days.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Some light reading.....:
    Nice blog post, good lunchtime reading. Tony 'The Lizard' Bloom used to be quite visible in poker and sports tipping articles but don't see him any more, guess running a football club does that to a person. The one thing I never understood was how the (successful) high rollers like him (and I guess Mr Channing as well) were ever able to keep making money from sports betting. All you hear these days are average Joe Punter getting restricted to penny bets as soon as he/she has a successful run. How do the high rollers keep getting bookies to take their bets and keep them coining it in? Doesn't seem like 10 years since durrrrrr was tearing up the game. Time must have flown in the last decade :(
    Posted by shakinaces
    Now then, I could write a whole blog on Tony Bloom & betting, & still leave stuff out.

He was a huge punter on Asian Handicaps, 6 & 7 figure bets regularly. He moved global markets when he bet. He used to run syndicates, too, originally with poker player Martin de Knijff. At the time, Tony was a season ticket holder at Chelsea, but his family were always involved in Brighton FC. The story of how he took over the club is quite some a tale in itself. When it comes to money, Tony does not mess about.

He did have his own sports betting outfit at one time, but he sold it.

Tony is similar, in some ways, to Matthew Benham, the Brentford FC Owner and another monster punter who had his own punting business.  
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Some light reading.....:
    meanwhile did you know arf appears in the urban dictionary as  Term meaning a person of African decent who cannot swim or swim well. are you adding subliminal references to current crises in all your commentary? first VW, now this!
    Posted by GELDY
    Absolutely not Geldy, never heard of the term in that context.

Have to say, The Urban Dictionary throws up some interesting definitions. Orford knows em all, believe me. Meanwhile, I'm still struggling with the OED.