You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DevilFish, UKPC story by StayOrGo

edited September 2015 in Poker Chat

That's a great tale, Graham, & sums him up perfectly.

Many Dealers disliked dealing to him, as he could be very hard on them, & frequently demanded they be changed..

He was, of course, big mates with Simon Trumper, who was TD that very day.  

Comments

• edited October 2015

Had an interesting exchange with this fella playing live in Nottingham, just before he died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Ulliott

It was one of Sky Poker's UK Poker Championships, if I remember correctly, at Dusk Till Dawn in Nottingham.

He was on the Small Blind and Raised, I re-raised in the Big Blind with A7 suited, he called:

Flop came: 22Q

He bets, about half the pot and I re-raise.

He tanks for ages, asking me, "Were you re-raising me with KQ?"

I stay stum (probably best)

He folds and shows his cards, A8.

He asks if he can look at my cards, I say no. (I want him to think I'm a tight player, so not in my interests to show my bluffs :=))

He takes my cards, still face down, looking for my approval to turn them over. And asks again, can I see?

I say, "No". If he turns them over without my permission, the tournament director would/should invoke a strict penalty, even disqualification. (Needs to be a brave man though)

After the great man's intimidation attempt, Devil Fish then tries another ploy and adopts flattery saying, "Go on, I'll be impressed if you bluffed me"

I remain firm and still say "No"

The dealer, a young lad, looks absolutely terrified and hesitantly says, "Could I have the cards back please Mr Ulliott"

DevilFish reluctantly gives my cards back to the dealer face down calling me something beginning with C. This was probably the only occasion I'd managed to get one over on him, and I'm sure he bluffed me off plenty of pots too.

Anyway, shortly after he gets knocked out. He shakes everyone's hand at the table except mine. I put my hand out to shake his, and he says, "I'm not shaking your hand, you put me on tilt you ****

Then he leans over with a smile on his face, shakes my hand and says, "Well done mate", or words to that effect.

He died shortly after, I didn't even know he was ill. I wish I'd showed him my cards :=)

I didn't know him well at all, but whenever I did see him at DTD, he would give me a nod of acknowledgement and a wink. I always sensed that underneath the tough exterior there was a big heart. I will miss bumping into him at DTD. Like him or loath him, a true legend of the game, and I liked him. RIP Dave.

Cheers,

Grae

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: DevilFish, UKPC story by StayOrGo:
    That's a great tale, Graham, & sums him up perfectly. Many Dealers disliked dealing to him, as he could be very hard on them, & frequently demanded they be changed.. He was, of course, big mates with Simon Trumper, who was TD that very day.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Nice one TK!

So what do you think Simon would have done, if he had looked at my cards without my agreement? :=)

Good clip below, love the way DevilFish talk's Newhouse into folding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boD1cbSQQAw
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: DevilFish, UKPC story by StayOrGo : Nice one TK! So what do you think Simon would have done, if he had looked at my cards without my agreement? :=) Good clip below, love the way DevilFish talk's Newhouse into folding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boD1cbSQQAw
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Difficult question.

I'm a close personal friend of Mr Trumper, we got out on "4 Grumpy Old Men" days out with 2 other mates, but I doubt he'd ever give a "home" ruling in my favour, he's just not like that.

Think he would probably have just given Dave a telling off. Simon is not scared of anyone, or their reputation.  

• edited September 2015
    Love Devilfish and wish I had gotten the chance to meet him. He was easily my favourite poker personality.

My personal favourite videos of him are when he is being interviewed by a woman. He gets away with blue murder.
  • edited September 2015
    Love Devilfish and wish I had gotten the chance to meet him. He was easily my favourite poker personality. My personal favourite videos of him are when he is being interviewed by a woman. He gets away with blue murder.
    Posted by Sky_Dan
    +1 to that Dan, was mine too.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: DevilFish, UKPC story by StayOrGo : Difficult question. I'm a close personal friend of Mr Trumper, we got out on "4 Grumpy Old Men" days out with 2 other mates, but I doubt he'd ever give a "home" ruling in my favour, he's just not like that. Think he would probably have just given Dave a telling off. Simon is not scared of anyone, or their reputation.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Are the other two Victor Meldrew and Rigsby?

Just kidding, you guys are great!

I'm sure you have a blast when you go out :=)
  • edited September 2015
    I also had the pleasure of playing with him in that same UKPC in Februrary. 

I very nearly knocked him out too - I'd raised up with J7s in the HJ and he'd flatted in the BTN and the flop had come down a raggidity board with 2 of my suit. Possibly it was paired. He didn't have much behind him so I was never folding; we ended up all in only for him to show me the NFD. I spiked my 7 on the turn but then the river came and gave him a flush! He was the other side of the table from me and I didn't stay long so never got the chance to say much to him but it was still a pleasure to play with him. 
  • edited September 2015
    I also had the pleasure of playing with him in that same UKPC in Februrary.  I very nearly knocked him out too - I'd raised up with J7s in the HJ and he'd flatted in the BTN and the flop had come down a raggidity board with 2 of my suit. Possibly it was paired. He didn't have much behind him so I was never folding; we ended up all in only for him to show me the NFD. I spiked my 7 on the turn but then the river came and gave him a flush! He was the other side of the table from me and I didn't stay long so never got the chance to say much to him but it was still a pleasure to play with him. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Nice one mate! That's the great thing about Poker, it brings people from all walks of life together, and gives the opportunity of mere mortals like me to play against these legends of the game.

You'll always have that memory of how you nearly knocked out the man.

See you at the tables.

GL,

Graham