You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Who Decides What We Can Discuss?

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat

Ok.... Now I normally agree with the threads that are closed off when getting a little too heated but today i was supprised to see that a thread with a forum members problem on it had completly dissapeared.

Now i know Sky Rich is going to enter the stock answer of how problems with the site today are being dealt with on a case by case basis (which is fine, i agree and all that) but why does that then require that the thread be wiped from existance????

Now i may have missed something and in the few short mins i hadn't checked that thread it may have suddenly become abusive and degrading to zebra's or whatever todays politicaly correct issue of importance is..... BUT i don't remeber it doing that??

Did this thread have something in it we are banned from disscusing or did SKY just decide were not allowed to read about a fellow members problems? It was interesting to see what had happened and peoples views on if it was real, what was the cause etc etc

Next a thread is started asking where the last thread has gone - Stock answer as to problems being dealt with is inserted and then the disscusion is closed so that i couldn't comment on that????

I post here a lot and would like to think that as long as were not abusive we can discuss what we want, is this no longer True???????

If my thread dissapears or is suddenly closed so no one can offer a view then please feel free to start the "Where did the Who Decides What We Can Discuss? Thread Go" Thread :)

Chris

Comments

• edited January 2010
    i give this thread 5 minutes...
  • edited January 2010
    I think that you make a very valid point.
  • edited January 2010
    yep i was reading that thread

and next i looked it was gone gone gone lol !

this seems a bit harsh .
  • edited January 2010
    very big brother style... censorship etc...
  • edited January 2010
    As with MOST forums we can discuss topics within what the owner of the forum decides. If something goes against what they find acceptable then something will happen. There's no 'freedom of speech' as such (as I've seen stated before, elsewhere). FoS isn't relevant on forum.
    However, normally if something is removed then the person who created it would be contacted privately (?)

• edited January 2010
    Yes but a discussion is between multiple people not just the initiator of the conversation and as to freedom of speach, your quite correct, thats why the set forum rules........ Did the threads mentioned break one?
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Who Decides What We Can Discuss?:
    Yes but a discussion is between multiple people not just the initiator of the conversation and as to freedom of speach, your quite correct, thats why the set forum rules........ Did the threads mentioned break one?
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    I could only assume so since it's gone...
  • edited January 2010

I know nothing........

• edited January 2010
    hey,

The thread related to a gameplay issue and really should have been communicated directly to the customer care team. the issue was dealt with and resolved directly with the customer (he was personally called by the team).

at Sky Poker/ Betting and Gaming we embrace the idea of community and all customers are encouraged to discuss and debate various topics. however, we also reserve the right to occasionally remove threads if they break the house rules or are just deemed unsuitable for the forum.

by unsuitable we don't instantly mean posts have to be offence, merely that certain threads may serve no use to the community or actually be better suited if they were communicated through the appropriate channel (e.g. collusion, table abuse, gameplay issues etc).

thanks for being understanding on this one guys,

Rich
  • edited January 2010
    I know nothing........
    Posted by Tikay10
                          k,

C,
  • edited January 2010
    I don't want to be too awkward here but surely making people aware of what can happen when there are technical problems is of benefit to the community?
  • edited January 2010
    i think skypoker would be best to put the thread back up,

if that's possible,

the thread showed 1 hand history that the wrong players got payed out,

this is of definite interest to the community,

skypoker payed the guy back his money,

if the thread was left up,

we would be discussing,

how well skypoker reacted and payed the player back so quickly .

over and out roborover !
  • edited January 2010

I think the thread broke no house rules at all.

It highlighted a problem with Sky's programming and a hand that CASH was paid out to the wrong people.

This, in my opinion, should not have been closed and vanished. But no doubt, Sky do not want people to know that the software is less than perfect and mistakes can happen.

Unfortunatley, by mentioning this, no doubt this thread will now be closed and I fully expect my warning for questioning Sky's reputation.

It was a really interesting hand and discussion was valid. The only reason it was closed was to prevent further embarrassment for Sky.

I bet they were happy this happened during the day when the forum flow is slow.

I'm now off to area 51, as suddenly, all those my aces cracked again threads seem more viable!!!!

If I do not return, then no doubt my warning became a ban.

• edited January 2010
    I don't want to be too awkward here but surely making people aware of what can happen when there are technical problems is of benefit to the community?
    Posted by MereNovice
    yes of course, and we encourage technical queries to be posted in the relevant area of the forum.

however, sometimes technical problems are best dealt with instantly and effectively behind the scenes especially during times of new sites releases/ problems.

of course when we remove a thread we communicate and contact customers involved and explain why, when, what etc

• edited January 2010
    I have no doubts that customer service team dealt effectivly with the problem, all bar 1 occasion i've always found them to be helpful (please see the "which is fine, i agree and all that " section of the OP which deals with the fact that i know it's being dealt with individualy)

My problem is more related to the wiping of the disscusion around it and then the closing of a disscusion asking why it had been wiped.

Deal with the problems directly... no problem with that

Wipe disscusions because they highlight a problem....Silence Discussions asking why they have been wiped....don't like that

Don't get me wrong, i don't want to become militant about it but i'm glad that the post was put up so i could see what to look out for..... those who haven't been on during the 5 mins it was allowed up will not have had that benefit
  • edited January 2010
    Wipe discussion, wipe thread about discussion. Soon to be wiped, this thread.

No evidence see.

CSI Miami would have trouble trying to prove things were amiss today.

The men is black will be round shortly to wipe all of our memories.
  • edited January 2010
    I missed this so don't really know what it's about. From what I can gather this is an apparent fault that I feel I should be aware of, as should everyone else. This could no doubt happen again and I for one would rather be in the know about it.

Removing the thread and brushing it under the carpet is not in the best interests of the community.
  • edited January 2010
    by unsuitable we don't instantly mean posts have to be offence, merely that certain threads may serve no use to the community or actually be better suited if they were communicated through the appropriate channel (e.g. collusion, table abuse, gameplay issues etc).

You mean threads that are detrimental to or make sky look bad don't you? You have a way with words lol.

If sky or the software made a genuine mistake, the community should be able to discuss it, it is our money after all.

Ps. This post will self distruct sometime soon. 
  • edited January 2010
    I missed this so don't really know what it's about. From what I can gather this is an apparent fault that I feel I should be aware of, as should everyone else. This could no doubt happen again and I for one would rather be in the know about it. Removing the thread and brushing it under the carpet is not in the best interests of the community.
    Posted by elsadog
    A hand was posted where the winner received a chunk of the pot, the loser also had a nice slice of the action and even the 2 hands that had folded preflop got a nice little return.

Ooops, thread closed.
  • edited January 2010
    I missed this so don't really know what it's about. From what I can gather this is an apparent fault that I feel I should be aware of, as should everyone else. This could no doubt happen again and I for one would rather be in the know about it. Removing the thread and brushing it under the carpet is not in the best interests of the community.
    Posted by elsadog
    i'll probably get slapped for this elsa but here goes

NLH table (can't remember stakes but i think prob 50nl Cash)

1 guy has QQ flop comes Q J 2 lots of betting (some very odd) and then a turn card which gives 1 guy house and the other 2 pair. All the money goes in the middle and then they system pays the pot to 4 different players. The chat box readout sttes that main pot was won by XXXX then As there was no Low the remainder split between 3 other players (2 of which had folded i think lol). Doesn't look sinister... looks like some software upgrade for the Hi/Lo launch had gone a bit nuts on the NLH Cash table which is just a glitch. Thats why i was annoyed at the wiping of the thread because it's not like the people thought sky were on the rob or anything... seems daft to erase it but there you go 

***** Edit***** The above info is fro mmemory only (as thats all that remains of it) so please don't quote verbatum
  • edited January 2010
    was thinking at one point that that post never existed,my sanity remains intact...for another day atleast..
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks for that. Not really a toxic situation. As long as the players were refunded or whatever it's not a problem to me, just a software glitch by the sound of it.

Why remove the post?

There is a similar post today regarding site problems and the reports coming in about the way Sky handled this does them credit not harm. Why this thread couldn't have been handled the same way is beyond me.
  • edited January 2010
    hey, The thread related to a gameplay issue and really should have been communicated directly to the customer care team. the issue was dealt with and resolved directly with the customer (he was personally called by the team)
    To be fair rich, i contacted Customer services first, the first time the chat ended without warning second time i was  told that they were very busy and could i start another chat in an hour.  I wasnt best pleased with that response to be honest, but what choice did i have.  Would i have been called had i not posted the thread? i thnk i would probably have had to do what was suggested and started another suppot chat after an hour.

Yes it has been dealt with now and i was called so all is good.  I hope i was given the right amount of money that i was owed, in the end i wasnt too sure how much i was due as it was all rather confusing.
  • edited January 2010
    o  ***** Edit***** The above info is fro mmemory only (as thats all that remains of it) so please don't quote verbatum
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    I still have the proper hand history window open, although i imagine posting it again will get this thread closed down too.
  • edited January 2010
    tbh ,sky would have looked a lot better if they hadnt removed the original post,these tech problems happen all the time,at all the online poker sites,some sites deal with them alot slower than others(no-names).sky were pretty quick to sort it and every1 was left fairly happy.there was no need 2 hide the fact that they have tech issues,we all know they happen,and speaking for myself,id rather know they get dealt with,in the right way...
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Who Decides What We Can Discuss? : +1 post it up
    Posted by IRISHROVER

Will leave it unless the powers that be say its ok to do so.