You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Shoving too thin?

edited September 2015 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all,

Played my first ever Mini Roller this evening, and [tiny brag], cashed in 24th. However, whilst I could put my exit hand down to bad luck, I'd like to ask the great and the good of Sky Poker whether I could have maybe lasted a little longer.

Basically, we've not long reached the money, blinds are 800/1600, and I'm UTG + 1. Guy in front of me folds, I limp with AJ off, it folds around to SB who raises to 5,600. BB folds, I call.

Flop comes down A 2 10, and my opponent immediately sticks in 19,000 or so. I jam, and am called by AQ, and obviously my Mini Roller pretty much ends here!

So basically my question is, was I too hasty, or do you think I made the right move? If it helps I figured that if I was actually going to do any better than min cash, I was going to have to make some moves at some point.

I eagerly await your opinions!

Many thanks,

Music_Matt

:)

Comments

• edited September 2015
    Stack sizes are important to know but either way I'd say stick to either minraising or folding at that stage.

Was there a flush draw on the flop? The more info the better.

Often, if you have 20big blinds or less and you flop an Ace high flop with AJ against 1 oppnent it's gonna be pretty hard not to go bust (if they have better). Although that doesn't mean jamming the flop is best, it's often better call and allow him to bluff shove/valuebet worst on the turn rather than force all his bluffs and some marginal hands to fold flop

Very hard to give any advice without knowing stack sizes and the full flop details.
  • edited September 2015
    I dont think you should ever really be limp/calling preflop with AJ, you just wont have a clue where you are post flop. There is still a chance you go broke if you raise pre but in the long term it will make your hand easier to play and you will have a decent idea whether you are ahead or behind. 
  • edited September 2015
    Calling the raise with A J is marginal. Once you have called, rest of hand plays itself.

Well done on cashing.