You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New show starts tonight- The Sky Poker Grudge Match 10pm, Sky Sports 4

edited October 2015 in Poker Chat

Here's the new rules...

Round 1:

A 40 minute session on a 6-handed Mastercash table. The player who finishes with the most money receives 1 point.

Round 2:

Players compete side by side to build the tallest single chip tower in 30 seconds. The person with the tallest gets 2 points.

Round 3:

Heads up! 1-on-1 in a 40 minute heads up sit and go. The player with the most chips at the end of the round receives 3 points.

If scores are tied at 3-3, a tiebreaker question will decide the winner.

And here's Anna putting all that a lot better...

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Morning all,

So a new format for our weekly Sky Sports show starts tonight!
    We're calling it the...

It still starts at 10pm on Sky Sports 4 in the same studio and everything. But...we're changing the rules. (See the post below for more details.)
    Each week will see one of our roster of pros take on a recreational player.  And here's tonight's first ever fight card! -----------------------------------------------------Ladieeeeeees and gentlemennnnnnnnnn!
    Tonight- it's... 
    THE BLAZE ON THE BAIZE!
    Your host...

Richard Orffffffford!
    @richard_orford
    In the pro corner...

Irish Open Winner....Ian Simpppppson! 
    @IanSimpsonPoker
    Versus... in the celebrity corner...

The fella off Soccer AM and Fantasy Football Club...
    Max Rushhhhhdennnnn! 
    @maxrushden
    And your referee? The Ancient One himself...

Tony 'Tikay' Ken-dallllllllllllllllll!

Tweet those messages to #skypokertv 

and see you ringside at 10pm!
  • edited October 2015
    Hmmm. Celebrity grudge match?

Sounds suspiciously like "Headz up 4 Rollz"

I am instructing my lawyer as I type this...

PS Have Max Rushden and Ian Simpson actually got a "grudge"?

PPS I am still waiting for the call back re Monkey Poker
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: New show starts tonight- The Sky Poker Grudge Match 10pm, Sky Sports 4:
    Hmmm. Celebrity grudge match? Sounds suspiciously like "Headz up 4 Rollz" https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3aa29d6e06-e617-4a65-a584-8beee3bcdea9&plckCurrentPage=1 I am instructing my lawyer as I type this... PS Have Max Rushden and Ian Simpson actually got a "grudge"? PPS I am still waiting for the call back re Monkey Poker
    Posted by Phantom66
    Lol! Wow, you called it Phantom. I think you have a strong case to sue our producer. His name is Dan, I'll be happy to forward on his contact details. ;-)

Seriously though, I think our two guests playing heads up was kind of inevitable on this show at some point.

As for grudges, no I don't think so, but I'm sure they will have one by midnight tonight.

PS- Monkey tennis?
  • edited October 2015

Im amazed that people would PAY A SUBSCRIPTION to watch poker
     Sky is big enough and has the expertise to put this out on their u-tube channel
     Their pitch ? oh its a grudge match
    They lost all credibility with me when they only allowed you to watch poker, onn a PAY FOR VIEW channel
    They allowed the BEST poker pundits " to go "
    IE lolufold and others, even looking at their viewing numbers on u-tube, the interest factor is low.
    So for me, no thanks i will NOT be paying
  • edited October 2015
    Very much doubt I'd pay a subscription to watch poker, but that's not really the question, it's a nice addition to the subscription I pay for sports movies Atlantic etc etc.

Nice to see the format getting a refresh after the master cash challenge, gl on the show. Hope there is some filler for when the heads up SnG finishes after 5 hands :)
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: New show starts tonight- The Sky Poker Grudge Match 10pm, Sky Sports 4:
    Very much doubt I'd pay a subscription to watch poker, but that's not really the question, it's a nice addition to the subscription I pay for sports movies Atlantic etc etc. Nice to see the format getting a refresh after the master cash challenge, gl on the show. Hope there is some filler for when the heads up SnG finishes after 5 hands :)
    Posted by bbMike
    Well it might, but I doubt it - it has been specially structured to last longer than a normal HU game. But, you know, if it Aces v Kings, it's going in. 
  • edited October 2015
    Sounds like a good opportunity to remind Neil that Richard and Tikay both lasted longer in the community heads up competition.

PPS Not serious about the law suit (although if you do want to settle out of court I'm open to offers)
  • edited October 2015
     Im amazed that people would PAY A SUBSCRIPTION to watch poker  Sky is big enough and has the expertise to put this out on their u-tube channel  Their pitch ? oh its a grudge match They lost all credibility with me when they only allowed you to watch poker, onn a PAY FOR VIEW channel They allowed the BEST poker pundits " to go " IE lolufold and others, even looking at their viewing numbers on u-tube, the interest factor is low. So for me, no thanks i will NOT be paying
    Posted by bludreid11
    Hello Bludreid,

I think I tried replying to a similar post of your's once before but you gave up on me. If I remember the general thrust was you would prefer things to go back to how they were. I'll have a go at replying again anyway...

I think you are correct. There is probably a good chance that very few people subscribe to Sky Sports solely to watch the two hour poker show. Many also probably don't pay just for speedway, "Tight Lines", the NFL, "Inside Sailing" or the WWF.

BskyB are a totally separate company to Sky Betting and Gaming and I know that SB & G are pretty pleased that SskyB give them a great two hour slot every week on Sky Sports. The show gets between 30,000 and 50,000 viewers each time and both parties seem very happy with this.

I'm a big fan of Redmond and I'm sure everyone was sad that he didn't want to do more shows. I'm not sure what cn be done about that. Should we kidnap him?

I've now read your post three times and it seems very clear that you don't like the show and you won't be watching (although if you don't subscribe and never have I wonder how you've seen it). That is perfectly fine though. If everyone loved it and watched then the viewing figures would be 50m+ but it's not possible to appeal to everyone.

My confusion is simply this...if you have zero intention of ever watching and you think it's "lost all credibility" then why do you care what channel it's on?

I gave up on watching Eastenders when Pauline Fowler died. At that stage my interest in how many shows they had a week and what time they were shown instantly ended.
  • edited October 2015
    Ladies and gentlemen, in a change to the scheduled programme and due to illness, the part of Neil Channing will tonight be played by his understudy Tony 'Tikay' Kendall.

I'm afraid a refund is not available on your ticket. Just try to make the best of it. ;-)

I think there was a similar situation in the Champions League last week when Ospina was put in goal for Arsenal instead of Cech. I think that worked out well enough...didn't it?
  • edited October 2015
    Ladies and gentlemen, in a change to the scheduled programme and due to illness, the part of Neil Channing will tonight be played by his understudy Tony 'Tikay' Kendall . I'm afraid a refund is not available on your ticket. Just try to make the best of it. ;-) I think there was a similar situation in the Champions League last week when Ospina was put in goal for Arsenal instead of Cech. I think that worked out well enough...didn't it?
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Too soon : (
  • edited October 2015
    Hope your feeling better soon Mr C
  • edited October 2015

i reckon the ambo is off for a meeting at anfield

• edited October 2015
    Neil is having some alone time with reruns of Eastenders featuring Pauline Fowler!
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: New show starts tonight- The Sky Poker Grudge Match 10pm, Sky Sports 4 : Well it might, but I doubt it - it has been specially structured to last longer than a normal HU game. But, you know, if it Aces v Kings, it's going in.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    wonder what the odds of that is? who knows it could come post flop as set over set or that quads against royal.
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: New show starts tonight- The Sky Poker Grudge Match 10pm, Sky Sports 4 : Too soon : (
    Posted by LmfaoAllin
    Ha! Soz mate. Bet it's not too soon to talk about your game against United at the weekend though, right? ;-)
  • edited October 2015
    Funny as he fulfilled his other filming commitment today.

• edited October 2015
    Ladies and gentlemen, in a change to the scheduled programme and due to illness, the part of Neil Channing will tonight be played by his understudy Tony 'Tikay' Kendall . I'm afraid a refund is not available on your ticket. Just try to make the best of it. ;-) I think there was a similar situation in the Champions League last week when Ospina was put in goal for Arsenal instead of Cech. I think that worked out well enough...didn't it?
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    I think likening Tikay/Channing to Ospina/Cech is very unfair to Mr Ospina.
  • edited October 2015
    Neil is having some alone time with reruns of Eastenders featuring Pauline Fowler!
    Posted by MattBates
    Or gone to kidnap Redmond Lee!
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: New show starts tonight- The Sky Poker Grudge Match 10pm, Sky Sports 4 : Or gone to kidnap Redmond Lee!
    Posted by GREGSTER
    He must have already kidnapped him, has to stay at home to feed him bread and water
  • edited October 2015

Feeling really rough now. Keen to see how the new format goes though. I once played Max Rushden in the Poker Million a few years ago. He played pretty well and certainly knew poker...he wasn't a total novice by any means.
  • edited October 2015
       Feeling really rough now. Keen to see how the new format goes though. I once played Max Rushden in the Poker Million a few years ago. He played pretty well and certainly knew poker...he wasn't a total novice by any means.
    Posted by NChanning

Unlucky

Get well soon Mr Ambo

• edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: New show starts tonight- The Sky Poker Grudge Match 10pm, Sky Sports 4 : Ha! Soz mate. Bet it's not too soon to talk about your game against United at the weekend though, right? ;-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Indeed, great game for us.

Although bragging rights were short lived, Sunday night at live game had a bit of banter with a mate about the result and before I knew it was watching highlights of the infamous 8-2 drumming, sigh fold!
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: New show starts tonight- The Sky Poker Grudge Match 10pm, Sky Sports 4 : Indeed, great game for us. Although bragging rights were short lived, Sunday night at live game had a bit of banter with a mate about the result and before I knew it was watching highlights of the infamous 8-2 drumming, sigh fold!
    Posted by LmfaoAllin
    Yeah, but your result was bang up-to-date, your mate was living in the past. Raise!
  • edited October 2015
    Hope you all enjoyed last night's format. I certainly did and I thought our two guests Max Rushden and Ian Simpson were top class.

All constructive feedback welcome. Bear in mind though that it was our first go at it and we'll no doubt iron out any creases as we go along.

:-)

Oh, and Tikay was there too.

• edited October 2015
    Hope you all enjoyed last night's format. I certainly did and I thought our two guests Max Rushden and Ian Simpson were top class. All constructive feedback welcome. Bear in mind though that it was our first go at it and we'll no doubt iron out any creases as we go along. :-) Oh, and Tikay was there too.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    I found it a very entertaining show.

Having watched all the Sky Sports shows - and this is only my opinion - regardless of 'the game at hand' the guests make all the difference. Humorous & generally chatty people are a must.
    I personally find shows with pure poker people (only talking about poker stuff) less enjoyable (same was true on #861/865)

• edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: New show starts tonight- The Sky Poker Grudge Match 10pm, Sky Sports 4 : I found it a very entertaining show. Having watched all the Sky Sports shows - and this is only my opinion - regardless of 'the game at hand' the guests make all the difference. Humorous & generally chatty people are a must. I personally find shows with pure poker people (only talking about poker stuff) less enjoyable (same was true on #861/865)
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    +1 to this. If anyone new a total novice wants to join poker might be daunted by all the poker chat. I remember when first went to dtd to see rose never played poker and everyone was in poker chat mode it was very confusing and very daunting.
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: New show starts tonight- The Sky Poker Grudge Match 10pm, Sky Sports 4 : Hello Bludreid,  I think I tried replying to a similar post of your's once before but you gave up on me. If I remember the general thrust was you would prefer things to go back to how they were. I'll have a go at replying again anyway...  I think you are correct. There is probably a good chance that very few people subscribe to Sky Sports solely to watch the two hour poker show. Many also probably don't pay just for speedway, "Tight Lines", the NFL, "Inside Sailing" or the WWF.  BskyB are a totally separate company to Sky Betting and Gaming and I know that SB & G are pretty pleased that SskyB give them a great two hour slot every week on Sky Sports. The show gets between 30,000 and 50,000 viewers each time and both parties seem very happy with this.  I'm a big fan of Redmond and I'm sure everyone was sad that he didn't want to do more shows. I'm not sure what cn be done about that. Should we kidnap him?  I've now read your post three times and it seems very clear that you don't like the show and you won't be watching (although if you don't subscribe and never have I wonder how you've seen it). That is perfectly fine though. If everyone loved it and watched then the viewing figures would be 50m+ but it's not possible to appeal to everyone.  My confusion is simply this...if you have zero intention of ever watching and you think it's "lost all credibility" then why do you care what channel it's on?  I gave up on watching Eastenders when Pauline Fowler died. At that stage my interest in how many shows they had a week and what time they were shown instantly ended.

Thanks for your reply.
    I may have worded my post better. I will try to explain my points a little better.
    When i first started playing poker, i looked at most sites and after a short period i chose Sky.
    I like the format, 6 seats. I enjoyed watching channel 861, that is where i gained all of my knowledge of the game.
    As a complete beginner, listening to TIKAY, ED GIDDENS, even ORFFORD i got tremenndous insight of the game and i think my game improved ( slightly )
    The other things that dissappointed me, and thats the best word to discribe how i feel
    Sky had a winning formula, 6 seats, the Banter, the Forum, channel 861, team Sky. All these made for a pleasurable experiance, win lose or draw, you had fun at the tables.
    I understand that its a business and has to make a profit but, many players have left and now play on other sites, this should be a cause for concern, if you take the FUN out of the site it just becomes another gambling site. Sky could still become that again with their  U-Tube channel. Its free, so they could have hours of play, FREE of charge.
    Its NOT the case that i wouldnt pay for view, i cant, i have a huge tree in front of my house, so i donnt get sky TV.
    I suppose if we get down to it, its all about customer satisfaction. I am all for change, but change for the better,
    1st rule of business, make sure your customers are happy
    Posted by NChanning

• edited October 2015
    Thanks guys for the feedback.

I'm sure the powers-that-be are taking it all on board.
  • edited October 2015
    Hope you all enjoyed last night's format. I certainly did and I thought our two guests Max Rushden and Ian Simpson were top class. All constructive feedback welcome. Bear in mind though that it was our first go at it and we'll no doubt iron out any creases as we go along. :-) Oh, and Tikay was there too.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Give it a rest, Orford, you are becoming more than a little tiresome. Next you'll be telling us you cashed in last night's Main Event.

• edited October 2015
    I'd just like to say I enjoyed the show and I like the fact there is more interaction between the guests with this format.

Max Rushden's Heads Up masterclass must have rubbed off on Rich who ran over RLT in the HUFA cup the next day.

I thought Neil Channing's understudy did ok although I look forward to Neil's return very much.