You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Waffle & WABBA from the world of poker.

edited October 2015 in Poker Chat

Another little Blog here......

http://bit.ly/1G0iBED

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Great read there Tikay..
  • edited October 2015

Thanks FINS, appreciate that.

Love writing these little stories.
  • edited October 2015
    Never a dull read, written in true after dinner speech like style.
  • edited October 2015
    "Poker ain't half got some characters, eh?"

just a bit.

more citrone stories please, i get the feeling there is a rich well of interigue to be had there.

• edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Waffle & WABBA from the world of poker.:
    "Poker ain't half got some characters, eh?" just a bit. more citrone stories please, i get the feeling there is a rich well of interigue to be had there.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Ha, you are right, he is a fascinating character, & I know him very well, but there's no shortage of great stories from the poker world.

When I pen these pieces, I literally just choose a month & year, then go search the results from that month. For the period 2004 to around 2008, when I was playing the circuit a great deal, I can probably write a piece about the payers who cashed in any Festival Event in Great Britain & Ireland.

In the previous blog "Murder he wrote" or somesuch - I described two different poker players I had shared many tables with, both of whom were subsequently convicted for murder. One chopped a girl's body up & stuffed it in a suitcase, the other separated his wife's body from her head & dumped them - miles apart - in the desert.

When I went to write the latest blog, I selected, quite by chance, July 2007, so off I went to THM to see what I could find that may interest readers.

Lo & behold, the Newcastle GUKPT came up, which was won by a chap I knew very well, & shared many a table with - Mazhar Nawab. Now this chap did scare me a bit. For starters, he had two mobile phones. Quite normal now, 2 Moby's, but then it was something usually limited to individuals who sold chemical substances of various kinds. So I thought that would be a great event to write about, it had some other decent names I know very well, too - Rick Trigg, Simon Zach, Surinder, Steve Liu, Pete Singleton, Thewy etc.

However, google yielded two nasty surprises.......

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/wedding-party-gunman-jailed-for-six-years-1-4233519

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2931666/Husband-stabbed-wife-death-Bowie-knife-frenzied-attack-lay-bed-just-month-freed-early-jail.html

Whoops. As I had just written a blog about two poker players who committed murder, I thought maybe The Business might not approve of me suggesting the game was full of wrong 'uns........

And of course it's not. But there are some characters, some loveable rogues, & that's no bad thing.

One chap I know very well did 18 years, & his nick was "The Butcher". Go figure. He ran  a spieler in South London, & I won a £5,000 cash pot there one night. Access to this place was via a fire escape & over a roof - it was well dodgy - & now I was worried about how I could exit the place safely with all that cash. No worries - The Butcher offered me a lift to the station. In his big red Rolls Royce. Never been so scared in my life, if he had said "boo" I'd have given him the £5k, no questions asked.

I did eventually ask him what he did 18 years for. "Shoplifting" he said. Who am I to argue?......

I played a lot - still do from time to time - with a geezer who always appears on the results sheets as "Anon". Timeshare fraud, 22 years inside. 

An old mate of mine from Walsall was Peter. One day I met his son who addressed him as "Brian". I enquired why he called "Peter" Brian, & he explained that "Peter" was not his name, it was his trade - "a "Peter" or "Peterman" was a safebreaker. Oh, I seeeeeeee. 

Another old poker character is Mick "The Clock" Cook. His nick came from the suggestion that he used to be a lookout man on robberies - because these guys "clock" people.

Anyway, you've started me off now. 

Enough.     
  • edited October 2015

Fascinating stuff....including the above extra blog. 

I have known some characters in my time too. It sometimes gob smacks you when you find the real truth out about folk who you thought you knew. 

I think the 'poker scene' is generally cleaning its image up now though.
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Waffle & WABBA from the world of poker.:
    Fascinating stuff....including the above extra blog.  I have known some characters in my time too. It sometimes gob smacks you when you find the real truth out about folk who you thought you knew.  I think the 'poker scene' is generally cleaning its image up now though.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    yes, mr. pink, the poker scene is cleaning up its image.

mr white