You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My Micro Grind - Liftmans Diary!

edited October 2015 in Poker Chat

good luck man.

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Hello all, welcome to my diary.

I'm going to be detailing my progress in this diary, mostly as a means to keep me focused and on track (hopefully!).

About me

I have recently returned to Sky Poker after a long hiatus playing elsewhere. I've had some success on other sites but have grown tired of them and fancied a change. Plus, as an Englishman it is nice to play in Pounds instead of Monopoly money all the time!

My original flurry on Sky Poker was not great. Ran up about 4k playing games I shouldn't, and then lost the 4k, again playing games I shouldn't. We've all done it!

I'm a different player these days though and that's why I am here. To challenge myself, both for entertainment, and for future prospects of a nice steady side income.

I deposited £10 the other day, just to get a feel for a few of the game types, with a view to depositing £50 later and starting proper. Played a bit of cash but mostly DYM's. The games are quite soft I feel at the micro/low stakes and certainly beatable long term. Anyway after some nice victories and a bit of gambling on Bingo(we won't be playing any more), it's time to start the grind. I started yesterday evening actually which I will update in post 2.

What are we playing?

I'm going to be playing cash only for the foreseeable future. I'm playing 4 tables of 4NL 6 max, and will be playing a 4 hour or so session most evenings. I think I'm a fairly decent player at these levels and should be able to make something happen. I have my flaws though at times, usually when I get bored and it comes in the form of spew and the occasional tilt. I hope that keeping this diary helps me to remain focused, and keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Long term goals

The current goal will be to move up to 10NL at around a £200 bankroll. Long term I hope to move up further and create myself a nice steady side income.

See you all at the tables and good luck!

Starting Bankroll

£50.50
  • edited October 2015
    Session 01

Had a great start to my 'challenge'. A pretty average run of cards but made the most of them. Some healthy donations from a tilting player late in the session gave me a real boost. I don't expect to do this well very often, but it sure is a very welcome beginning.

Notable Hands

Starting Banroll - £50.50

Ending Bankroll - £79.05

Session profit    - £28.55
  • edited October 2015
    Good luck Liftman.
  • edited October 2015
    Can anyone point me in the direction on how to post hands?

Also is it possible to do spoiler brackets etc so the post isn't too long?

Thanks!

Edit - It seems you just have to drag copy paste the entire thing. I thought there would be some clever forum programming where you just insert the hand number and the software does the rest. That sucks.

Still, is there spoiler tags, anyone!?
  • edited October 2015
    Good luck with this venture.

how to post a hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRzIDCgyQ9E

*edit , I sometimes have difficulty posting hands, you can edit the post to delete cards/ edit names etc...
  • edited October 2015
    ^^^^^ this but make sure you are using firefox - for some reason doesnt seem to work properly with IE or Chrome
  • edited October 2015
    Blegh, made a mess of the hand posting and now can't get rid of it :(
  • edited October 2015
    Session 02

A tough session tonight and a game of two halves really. The first half with me being completely card dead for the first couple of hours. I stayed focused though and battled with the few cards I did get. Overplayed a few of the hands which cost me when beat, but live and learn. The second half of the session things picked up and I ran into some playable cards. Sadly, so did my opponents most of the time and I had a very swingy last couple of hours. Sets over sets busted me a couple of times. Stacked off twice with KK into AA, lost them both, one of them I should have avoided.

It was a bad session overall, however I still managed to grind away and eke out a very small profit, which given the run of cards I have to consider it a nice little victory really. Got a nice £1 bonus from the 1K freeroll too!

Starting Bankroll - £79.05

Ending Bankroll   - £84.60

Session Profit      - £5.55
  • edited October 2015
    Looking back on last nights session, there's at least a couple of pots for stacks that I should have gotten away from. If I had, my end session profit could have been 7 or 8 quid healthier, that's a lot at these stakes.

I don't knock myself too much though, because I was largely card dead and my mistakes came mostly from frustration of getting no action. Plus, I was never completely dead when the money went in so there's that!

Tonight's session though, I am going to try my best not to give anything cheap away.
  • edited October 2015
    Session 03

Another fairly average session. Started out two BI's down in as many minutes. Was back on even terms within half an hour though thanks to two lots of AA against some questionable cards of my opponents. Chipped up a little from then on but ran dry mostly for the last hour and just payed the rake for the privilege. Did get a few top pair hands, KK, QQ etc that I lost with calling it off. Some of these fish it's really tough to put them on a hand, I mean a lot of them are literally playing any two cards!

Anyway, another small win is a victory nonetheless. Oh, I also binked another quid in the freeroll, a much welcome addition to the kitty!

Starting Bankroll - £84.60

Ending Bankroll   - £91.57

Session Profit      - £6.97
  • edited October 2015
    Session 04

Played some more cash today but was mostly focused on the DYM ladder challenge. Busted level 8 on my first attempt which isn't too shabby. Onwards and upwards!

That's enough poker for me for one day I think.

Starting Bankroll - £91.57

Ending Bankroll   - £101.72

Session Profit      - £10.15
  • edited October 2015
    Gl with the micro grind Liftman.
    You seem to be heading in the right direction.

Regards Alan (plo8 champ)

• edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: My Micro Grind - Liftmans Diary!:
    Gl with the micro grind Liftman. You seem to be heading in the right direction. Regards Alan (plo8 champ)
    Posted by ajmilton
    Thank you Sir. Yes, I'm off to an okay start.

My stakes are normally 25/30NL ($), so it's a bit of a slog down here. I was going to deposit a couple of hunded quid and start at 10NL but I've kind of gone with this now. The build a bankroll from nothing challenge is kinda rewarding though, but I will be glad to get out of the basement :)

Thanks again!
  • edited October 2015
    Gl sir
    From small acorns are great oaks grown.
  • edited October 2015
    No updates the last few days as sadly my back has gone, with a suspected bulging disc. I just wasn't in the mood for it. :(

I think I might start doing weekly updates on a Monday anyway. Had an almost great start on Friday, hitting level 10 on the DYM ladder challenge, only to fail at the final hurdle. Nevermind, I will have another crack at it soon enough. Playing the DYM's gave me the bug and with it being the weekend, I decided to have a bit of a gamble on the £3.30's and some £5.50's. Ran like junk and couldn't win a flip anywhere. After some alcohol I had a crack at some of the bigger ones, at one point I put the roll in jeopardy but managed to heal. That was enough of them.

Back on to the cash tables I went for the remainder of Saturday and all Sunday. My bad form followed and I was getting crushed all over the place. I haven't ran this bad in a while, it was quite amusing actually. Luckily a few 5 minute spells here and there with some big pots got me back to around break even.

This week I will be sticking to cash and am going to up the tables to six. With the extra reward points available this week I hope to comfortably hit the £12.50 tier.

Hopefully the doom switch has been turned off this week and I can push on a bit!

Good luck at the tables everyone!

Bankroll - £106.91
  • edited October 2015
    Good luck for the week Liftman
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: My Micro Grind - Liftmans Diary!:
    Good luck for the week Liftman
    Posted by TimmyRaRa
    Thanks mate.

Just had an hour on the tables and off to a bad start again, that's my weekly bonus gone!

Fishy types calling down my huge bombs with my top 2 and hitting their miracle river. Better luck tonight I hope!

Good luck to you too.