You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Crushed : (

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Took a shot at 8NL today and lost about 4-5 BIs... this really crushed me i ran so bad and played quite poorly... completely knocked my confidence, I see poker as a nice little way to earn money and when i have days like this i feel like i have lost my job! so i was just wondering how other players dealt with bad days like this and how to get your confidence back up?

Comments

• edited January 2010

Chin up fella, its only a few quid, u go on a night out wi the lads, buy a new shirt, 40 quid, 30 quid for ale, 70 quid. Put it in perspective. Stay in on one  night n get 8 tinnies, play cards, ur bak even!

Dnt get so down about it, having played u I cnt believe u see NL8 as a step up, ur way below ur level!!!

DOHH
  • edited January 2010
    Hey Black,

I found this when I move up through the levels too! I then went up another level thinking just one good hand will turn it around...NEVER GOOD PLAY!!!

I almost lost my whole BR by chasing...looking for the flush past the turn, chasing inside/outside str and then when I got 'good' cards I'd be horribly outdrawn as people would call me with anything thinking I was on the take...

Moving up a level is almost like beginning again and you have to start off with small pot ABC poker...no fancy trying to outplay until you build your BR and win a session or few! Then, by all means resume 'crazy zxy' game :o)

Also, limit yourself to 2-3 BI's per session...limit your loses and leave alone for the night if you go bust...go watch Jack Bauer kick some bad guy ahem and grab a beer!

Not sure if helping or hindering...just some thoughts

Hope it helps & Good Luck on the tables

x

• edited January 2010
    Firstly you need to shake off that funky feeling.  Do whatever relaxes you.  In my case it's normally picking up a game controller and shooting Zombies.  It gets the blood pumping and gets out some of the aggression.

Now you have to turn your attention to the game.  Go through the hand histories and identify the hands where you were unlucky and the hands you played badly. Spend a little time analysing your game and learn from any mistakes.  Then get back into the game at either your previous level or if your BR allows it have another shot at that level armed with the knowledge you had on your previous session.
  • edited January 2010

i must admire your honesty m8y,

personally most i bring in is 2o/o of br ,

in to any game,

and 10o/o for a 1 day session,

i find this helps my br management ,

and stops me tilting on a bad run of luck ,

over and out roborover !

p.s i also have a punch bag for when i get a bb or bubble,

its quiet a worn one .
  • edited January 2010
    I echo DOHHHHH's words. I think your playing well below your level... the thinking level you have for the game is far superior than anyone else sat at 8nl... I know your a student and can't afford alot, but it may be worth the risk to put a bit more into the account, move up a couple of levels, both cash and STT (they are the games I believe you play). You have the level of thinking to play at least 40nl probs higher.... 40nl is a pretty good level to play at, the players are bad, and there is alot of spewwy money around, go up to 25/50 and there alot of good players multi tabling. I would give at least 15/30 a go to start with, I think you will be suprised how much you can make... you can win all that back and more in a night or 2
  • edited January 2010
    I echo Doh and FlashFlush comments.

20nl should be a level that suits you.  Set aside 100 for this 'shot'.  I'm certain that you will be glad of the outcome.
  • edited January 2010
    i think you just had a bad day i had one a few days ago.

i got so fed up i went for a 2 hour walk! that really sorted my head out.

when i came back i tried again and won 4/4 dym's

i think sometimes you just need to stop playing for a bit and refresh the brain!!
  • edited January 2010
    Definately skip 8nl imo, play 10nl or take an aggressive 20nl shot. I'll probably be doing it.
  • edited January 2010
    ive played a £2 and £5 dym today and lost both tilting badly in both losing with set vs straight and ak vs kq!

im off out for a long walk now lol!
  • edited January 2010
    losing 2 in a row is nothing.. really need to ramp up your volume for a decent sample size imo. £5 DYM ? What's your effective BR atm? I'd suggest grinding a little lower so when u lose it "doesn't matter" so much.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Crushed : (:
    Took a shot at 8NL today and lost about 4-5 BIs... this really crushed me i ran so bad and played quite poorly... completely knocked my confidence, I see poker as a nice little way to earn money and when i have days like this i feel like i have lost my job! so i was just wondering how other players dealt with bad days like this and how to get your confidence back up?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    I done the same thing, won a few and thought "this poker lark is easy" then 1 day lost £9. Not much and I can easily afford to lose it but I limited myself to only £25 BR while I learn how to play and it is a big confidence blow.

Just have to play a few DYM and build from the ground up. (back up to £23.33 now :D)
  • edited January 2010
    Same thing happened to me a few days ago stacked off once and lost, then put more money on the table which was a bad idea as I was in a losing frame of mind, I then lost another BI which felt pretty bad. Both times I played it badly and got punished.

To get it out my system I just did some excersise, fast cardio. Just gave me some time to run the situations through in my mind away from the table where my BR was safe. I really think it's important to know when to stop, you say you lost 4-5 BI's, surely after the 2nd or 3rd you must have been feeling pretty angry, when this happens just call it a day.
  • edited January 2010
    Same for me yesterday...couldn't do right for doing wrong. Spent a couple of hours on and just thought...this aint my night, try again tomorrow. Poss the one that typified it most ( although I didn't lose my whole stack in an £11 Double Up)

Me BB....all folded,SB called. Me K3 unsuited , checked.
    Flop 383....and I'm thinking ...I'm in here. Nice slow play to maximise.Turn and river 5 and Q. No flush chance no str8 chance. I'm putting Pot bets or 1/2 pot bets in and thinking ...gonna take this guy.

He turns over 38.....obviously he was slowplaying me whilst I'm slowplaying him...loool.

@dy things that only happen when the day is going bad.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Crushed : (:
    Same thing happened to me a few days ago stacked off once and lost, then put more money on the table which was a bad idea as I was in a losing frame of mind, I then lost another BI which felt pretty bad. Both times I played it badly and got punished. To get it out my system I just did some excersise, fast cardio. Just gave me some time to run the situations through in my mind away from the table where my BR was safe. I really think it's important to know when to stop, you say you lost 4-5 BI's, surely after the 2nd or 3rd you must have been feeling pretty angry, when this happens just call it a day.
    Posted by Dudeskin8

Yo are you dudeskin8 from SMforum?
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Crushed : ( : Yo are you dudeskin8 from SMforum?
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    Yh, LMAO you play SM too ?
  • edited January 2010
    not since I was 16 but i still go on the forums abit and tell people how it is done.
  • edited January 2010
    not since I was 16 but i still go on the forums abit and tell people how it is done.
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    Cool
  • edited January 2010
    losing 2 in a row is nothing.. really need to ramp up your volume for a decent sample size imo. £5 DYM ? What's your effective BR atm? I'd suggest grinding a little lower so when u lose it "doesn't matter" so much.
    Posted by Deadluck
    my bankroll was £105 so £5 buy in was ok.

i lost a bit when i first started as i entered the 12k bounty hunter twice when first starting and didnt cash in either! since then ive been grinding away on the low stakes dym's.

you are right though when i lost the £2 i shouldnt of jumped straight into the £5 one.

i have only ever deposited £40 so im doing ok i guess?
  • edited January 2010
    Yep well if you've deposited 40 and your BR is 105, then you're playing for free :)