You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Are there bandits in poker?

edited October 2015 in Poker Chat

Another waffley Blog has just gone up. Reed & weep. Or should that be "sleep"?

http://bit.ly/1ZWTglA

Comments

• edited October 2015
    As one of the many players who first got introduced to NLH through Late Night Poker. Thank you once again for the revived memories.

That Orford chap must have done the nut worst out of the presenters, he is the only one not to have a link to their own wikepedia page from the list shown here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Night_Poker
  • edited October 2015
    Back in the early 90's the landlord of my local pub began to run Poker nights (all hush hush in a back room - he didnt' want to lose his license)
    Up until then, he had, had '3 card brag' and 'shoot' nights which invariably ended up with fighting. And I mean good old cowboy saloon fighting - furniture and stools flying everywhere.

The cause of a lot of these fights (apart from 'beer in wits out') was people going blind in brag (doubling the stakes to the other players) and someone accusing them of already seeing their cards.

So Poker was seen as a gentlemans game with no underhand tactics and less chance of cheating. You would laugh now but the card decks were old, sticky and filthy. The landlady used to be the dealer and she often had to peel cards apart before she could deal them to you.

Whereas on brag nights you could sit in with a tenner, suddenly the 'big boys' were appearing with a £1000+ bankroll. (that was more than 2 months wages)
    And where did it all end up again.... yep fighting again. Woe betide you if you slow played pocket rockets and took a big pot down. (very ungentlemanly)
    I have often wondered if any of these 'strangers' with massive bankrolls ever became famous pro players. There are one or two of the older end that I think I recognise but can't be sure.