You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Horrendous Lag

edited October 2015 in Poker Chat
Is there any way to cure the horrific lag I'm experiencing when running multiple tables?

I somehow managed to click an accidental all in last night because of it, and of course lost!

I know the Sky Poker client is an Adobe Air App, which is known for being slow. Things start off okay but then the longer I play, the laggier it gets, almost like there's a memory leak, or the app isn't doing sufficient garbage collection.

Any technical boffs out there? Like maybe there's a hidden ini / config file where the memory allocation settings can be adjusted or something?

Help!

Comments

• edited October 2015

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

• edited October 2015
    Didnt phantom66 mention a memort leak once upon a time ?
  • edited October 2015
    Does everyone else get lag when multi tabling?

I'm presuming yes. It can't be my computer, i'm on an I7 with 8GB ram.
  • edited October 2015
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Horrendous Lag:
    Posted by mumsie
    nope
  • edited October 2015
    I had huge problems with this, but I did 2 things changed my ISP from EE to Sky and also stopped using the download client and started using the web one, its not perfect, like when you FT the Reward freeroll, for sh*ts and giggles it will let you think you shoving ai when in fact your calling ai, because the other guys cards and chips have disappeared, thanks for that one :(
  • edited October 2015
    Posted by mumsie
    NoseyBonk?

• edited October 2015
    Yeah I suffer with this too. I have recently changed my broadband provider from talktalk to BT and things have improved, but not by much.

You are right when you say that the longer you play the laggier it gets, this happens to me as well, I don't know the reason for this though. If the lag becomes too severe then I restart my laptop during the next 5 min break and the tables run smoothly again.
  • edited October 2015
    If I had to take a guess (being an Engineer and somewhat amateur programmer), I would say it has to do with two things.

First - Adobe Air is (currently) only a 32bit app with max ram allocation of 1GB. Upgrading to 64bit, when they get around to it, may 'automagically' solve the problems.

Second - Garbage collection is not happening anywhere sufficient or often enough, due to poor programming of the Application.

Third - There's MAYBE a memory leak problem, but that would be really shoddy work on the software teams part.

EDIT - From looking at Task Manager, it seems that the client does get upwards of 500MB of Ram usage, at which point the problems begin. There's no way that the software should be getting anywhere close to that for a few simple card games.

*Disclaimer - All the above could be complete nonsense and I have no idea what I'm talking about!
  • edited October 2015
    Posted by mumsie
    GELDY did

when i played i kept task manager on in the background and nuked the browser whenever the memory usage doubled