You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What's my best way to learn

edited October 2015 in Poker Chat
Hi only second day ever playing still buzzing set a limit of 5 pound a day I played a few bounty hunters and some cash 02 04 pence managed one bounty twice felt like I had took the tournament down I must have done something daft in one hand by calling for a chop only for the chat box to fill up with ??????  My question is what's my best way of learning without tilting everybody else

Comments

• edited October 2015
    In Response to What's my best way to learn:
    Hi only second day ever playing still buzzing set a limit of 5 pound a day I played a few bounty hunters and some cash 02 04 pence managed one bounty twice felt like I had took the tournament down I must have done something daft in one hand by calling for a chop only for the chat box to fill up with ??????  My question is what's my best way of learning without tilting everybody else
    Posted by weecheez1
    First of all welcome and good luck in your games. Am sure someone will be along and point you in the right direction of where to start learning. They are a great bunch on here with a wealth of knowledge regarding poker. As for not tilting the table, don't bother about it as long as you don't tilt, don't worry about anyone else. 
  • edited October 2015
    Hi Weecheeze

Yes welcome to sky and the forum.

If you scroll up to the top of the page there is an academy tab which has strategy videos, hand rankings and the like.

There is also a tournament strategy section under forum topics which you will find Usefull.

Good luck

kags
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: What's my best way to learn:
    In Response to What's my best way to learn : First of all welcome and good luck in your games. Am sure someone will be along and point you in the right direction of where to start learning. They are a great bunch on here with a wealth of knowledge regarding poker. As for not tilting the table, don't bother about it as long as you don't tilt, don't worry about anyone else. 
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Thanks for that I am just going through old posts and threads and I can see a good mix of serious and sarcastic it feels like I belong here can't wait till I know enough to tilt ha ha
  • edited October 2015
    Hi Weecheeze Yes welcome to sky and the forum. If you scroll up to the top of the page there is an academy tab which has strategy videos, hand rankings and the like. There is also a tournament strategy section under forum topics which you will find Usefull. Good luck kags
    Posted by _kagawa_
    Thanks will check it out 
  • edited October 2015

Good luck Bud, & if you have any questions, just fire away.

Geezer dissed you with "????"

Just ignore.

First up, it's clear he can't write. We only need ONE question mark, not a whole squadron of them. Anyone who uses multi question marks or multi exclamation marks has their own problems. Do they think we won't see one? 

Next, YOU pay your buy-ins, not him, so it's YOUR money, & YOU can play the game any way YOU like. Unless he wants to pay for your poker, it's none of his chuffing business how you play.

Generally, they only cry when you win a hand off them.

My advice is to ignore them completely - which, as it happens, only serves to make them even more annoyed.

Enjoy.
  • edited October 2015
    Good luck Bud, & if you have any questions, just fire away. Geezer dissed you with "????" Just ignore. First up, it's clear he can't write. We only need ONE question mark, not a whole squadron of them. Anyone who uses multi question marks or multi exclamation marks has their own problems. Do they think we won't see one?    Next, YOU pay your buy-ins, not him, so it's YOUR money, & YOU can play the game any way YOU like. Unless he wants to pay for your poker, it's none of his chuffing business how you play.   Generally, they only cry when you win a hand off them. My advice is to ignore them completely - which, as it happens, only serves to make them even more annoyed. Enjoy.
    Posted by Tikay10
     +1
  • edited October 2015
    I would say learn how to post hands.

This is what i did, alot of good players will give there views and help on how to play.

My tips would be: -

bet sizing
    position
    notes

If you have time play a couple of the deepstacks 1 or 2 quid for plenty of play if not dyms are a good place to learn.
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: What's my best way to learn :  +1
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    Thanks for the advice friends I have been jumping all over the site I was looking for somewhere to ask the daft questions like poker etiquette when you bust out do you just shut the table down press the sit out button start crying (it was 3 pound) does such a place exist
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: What's my best way to learn : Thanks for the advice friends I have been jumping all over the site I was looking for somewhere to ask the daft questions like poker etiquette when you bust out do you just shut the table down press the sit out button start crying (it was 3 pound) does such a place exist
    Posted by weecheez1
    Depends if your playing cash or not. Not got a clue regarding cash as never really play it only MTT's. I always say gg, nh etc. No point in going out on a bad note. You live, you learn. For those that hurl abuse in the chat box about fix, and other types of language it just sets them up for a tilt in their other games. You don't want to learn to tilt, it's not good for you. Just enjoy your games and have fun.
  • edited October 2015

If you are new to poker, I'd say DYM's or SNG's are easily the best way to learn the game.

In a DYM, 6 play, & 3 get paid, so you won't win much, but you'll not lose much, either. They only take 35 minutes or so, & are good fun.  

• edited October 2015
    Good afternoon Weecheez1.
    Welcome wee good luck and enjoy, try the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack, 99% of players are friendly and helpful.
    All the best.
    Rainman397.
  • edited October 2015
    Good afternoon Weecheez1. Welcome wee good luck and enjoy, try the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack, 99% of players are friendly and helpful. All the best. Rainman397.
    Posted by rainman397
    Missed the 2.20 at 2.20 but tried the deepstack  at 19.15 enjoyed it a lot seemed to lose all confidence after about quarter of an hour but stuck with it done some things OK and some even I didn't know what I was doing cracked aa with jt oops giggled like a girl finished 44th when I went with tt  on an 888 board beat by quads giggled even more thanks had a blast
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: What's my best way to learn : Missed the 2.20 at 2.20 but tried the deepstack  at 19.15 enjoyed it a lot seemed to lose all confidence after about quarter of an hour but stuck with it done some things OK and some even I didn't know what I was doing cracked aa with jt oops giggled like a girl finished 44th when I went with tt  on an 888 board beat by quads giggled even more thanks had a blast
    Posted by weecheez1
    If you can enjoy the thrill of improbable run-outs and the ups and downs of each street then you already know more than most regs.

Enjoying the game is the biggest victory imo.

When you enjoy playing, learning and improving you'll find poker an incredibly rewarding and deep hobby. 

Looks like you are well on your way.

Glgl
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: What's my best way to learn : Missed the 2.20 at 2.20 but tried the deepstack  at 19.15 enjoyed it a lot seemed to lose all confidence after about quarter of an hour but stuck with it done some things OK and some even I didn't know what I was doing cracked aa with jt oops giggled like a girl finished 44th when I went with tt  on an 888 board beat by quads giggled even more thanks had a blast
    Posted by weecheez1
    Im not  so sure the 2.20 at 2.20 actually exists.Rainman maybe has tourettes.
  • edited October 2015
    Don't worry about tilting others, it's what you want to do if anything! It makes them make incorrect plays and not play their A game when on tilt.