You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Be The Suit

edited October 2015 in Poker Chat

Assume you are Sidney Suit, & you have this choice to make.

Assume a 4 day "Live" Main Event, 1,000 runners, Guaranteed at £1 milly.

Would you prefer the Day Ones (A & B) on Thu/Fri, with the Final on Sunday?

Or, 1A & 1B on Fri/Sat, with the Final on Monday?

The angle here is that recreational players with Monday to Friday jobs would not have to take Friday off, & IF they needed to return on Monday to play the Final, (1% would), they at least know they are in for a 5 or 6 figure chunk of change.

What do you think, & most importantly, why? 

Comments

• edited October 2015

does tuesday become, "i'm sorry, boss, i didn't really mean what i said" day?

• edited October 2015
    Run it on a bank holiday weekend - two birds one stone - sorted
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Be The Suit:
    Assume you are Sidney Suit, & you have this choice to make. Assume a 4 day "Live" Main Event, 1,000 runners, Guaranteed at £1 milly. Would you prefer the Day Ones (A & B) on Thu/Fri, with the Final on Sunday? Or, 1A & 1B on Fri/Sat, with the Final on Monday? The angle here is that recreational players with Monday to Friday jobs would not have to take Friday off, & IF they needed to return on Monday to play the Final, (1% would), they at least know they are in for a 5 or 6 figure chunk of change.   What do you think, & most importantly, why? 
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay.

"Would you prefer the Day Ones (A & B) on Thu/Fri, with the Final on Sunday?"

This would be my preferred option, it is much easier to organise my weekend & get time off on a Friday because Friday's for most is usually "Half Day" working.

If the Final was on a Monday, I would still have book the Monday off anyway just incase - "Taking time off without permission is an actionable offence" so the 5 or 6 figure chunk of change would not cover the risk of someone losing their job (it would be a nice chunk of change though :) but as an employer I could never recommend it to anyone.

There is also the problem of arranging with the hotel to book you in for an extra night if you did make it to the final on the Monday - what if they don't have the room available?

I think most of us make plans in anticipation of reaching the final & that's probably the best mind set to have going into these things, so if the final was on a Monday, then I would have to book the Monday off work instead of the Friday. But Friday off work is my proffered option.

• edited October 2015

I have to say that's a great question Tikay. I think it's years now since it was a regular tradition that people would take a full week off work to go to a "festival" and play a side event on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night where 25% of the 200ish players then came back the following afternoon and played to a winner while those that busted played a satellite for the main event which always started on Thursday and Friday if there were two day ones or Friday if there was one.

Whether it's because people simply have busier lives, people have the flexibility to play online, people simply can't afford the time off in this economy or whether it's a combination of things it's hard to tell.

I personally think it's great when tournament organisers try to make their events as flexible as possible to fit around the working lives of people that have jobs and a family as I find playing events with those people are just way more interesting and fun than playing events where there are so many more professional poker players...who can easily play in the daytime midweek.

I also really like it when organisers think about costs of travel and hotels which are basically the main enemy of the players when they are thinking about making a profit. If you spend as much on the hotel and travel as you do on playing the tournaments you simply can't win in the long run however good you are...it's as simple as that.

I like the Friday 1a, Saturday 1b, Sunday day 2 and Monday final as I think people can always quietly have a day off (take a sickie) if it looks like £10,000 to £100,000 might be coming their way unexpectedly. I do think it's important that you don't ask a lot of people to come back though. Taking a late day off and finding you only mincashed or even bubbled would not be great for anyone. On that subject, I think it's terrible when organisers try to bring too many players back for day 2. I think that 25% of the field is a lot better number than 40% and anytime it's 50% or more it's ridiculous. People do lead busy lives and I think if you do have to travel back to the venue or book a hotel for day two then you should feel like you are maybe 50/50 to cash and both the time and the extra expense feels like it's worth it. If you are one of a 100 coming back and 25 get paid then you are most likely going to be disappointed and over a dozen events a year that extra expense is going to add up to one or two extra buy-ins.

An alternative to the Saturday/Sunday/Monday is the excellent Friday Night Day 1a, Saturday afternoon Day 1b, Saturday Night day 1c and Sunday day 2. If you can play to a finish on that Sunday then so much the better.
  • edited October 2015
    Thursday/Friday for me
  • edited October 2015
    Fri eve 1a, Sat am/early pm 1b, late Sat day 2, Sun finish.

Should also be compulsory for sites to show finishing times-lost count of the times that hotels see me at 3am as a walking cash machine....
  • edited October 2015
    What Channing say's Friday 1a, Saturday 1b, Sunday day 2 and Monday final
  • edited October 2015
    I've thought long and hard about both the question and the various work related implications that either answer could throw our way, such as time-off, hotel fees and the like. After much consideration I've decided that, as I am my own boss, the question is not really relevant to me. Ask me another...
  • edited October 2015

Hi Tony "The Suit"  - If only you were around in 30's Chicago or 50's London you would have had a great time..

Like lots of things in life it depends on how often this sort of thing happens; twice a year or once a quarter then yeah "losing" a working day (Friday only) is doable. Having a final day/table with just the players isn't the spectacle it should be, that's one of the reasons the WSOP main event doesn't run to a finish in an empty Amazon room.

Sunday finish for me.

Cheers

Dave

• edited October 2015
    Not that I'd expect to get to many final days - but if I did I'd hope it would be a final on the Sunday rather than the Monday.  Even when tourneys finish on Sundays usually it's late night Sunday or early hours of Monday morning.  How much worse would it be to finish late Monday night/early hours of Tuesday morning - especially if the tourneys are held somewhere a few hours travel from home.
  • edited October 2015
    Recreational players are a different species to the poker players I've met: recreational players are not willing to sit at a table for marathon 48-hour stretches; they have families who expect them to be home at least occasionally; they have a boss to answer to; they actually eat breakfast (for the professional poker players amongst you, breakfast is a meal you eat about 7-8 am that does not consist of a burger or kebab); and they often find it difficult to take time off work (or wife) at short notice.

To cater for recs in a 4-day tournament, would it be possible to have days 1-3 running on one weekend and day 4 on the following Saturday?
    Only two nights hotel accommodation needed, and on the off-chance they make it to the final day they won't get fired for playing it.

• edited October 2015

Free parking on Sunday