You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Flopped a set - did i shoot myself in the foot?

Hand History #228425592 (18:56 29/01/2010)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
jaywmac1 Small blind
£0.05 £0.05 £4.40
Deadluck Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £9.40
  Your hole cards

gaz_oafc Fold        
johnholyhe Fold        
oldgill Raise   £0.40 £0.55 £9.41
jaywmac1 Fold        
Deadluck Call   £0.30 £0.85 £9.10
Flop

• Q

Deadluck Check        
oldgill Bet   £0.55 £1.40 £8.86
Deadluck Raise   £2.01 £3.41 £7.09
oldgill Call   £1.46 £4.87 £7.40
Turn

Deadluck Check        
oldgill Bet   £0.80 £5.67 £6.60
Deadluck Call   £0.80 £6.47 £6.29
River

Deadluck Check        
oldgill Check        
Deadluck Show

oldgill Show

oldgill Win Flush to the Queen £6.15   £12.75

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Lead out the flop?

Bet the turn?

Fortunately got away fairly cheap but his call on the flop is such spew. Anything but the spade on the river and im potting it.
  • edited January 2010
    Good raise on the flop as the board is flushing, can't see how he calls here tbh. But good fish never fold you should know that at this level. Turn gives the flush so you check, but 80p into £4.87 doesn't make sense so call is ok with FH draw. River is just very unlucky, I can't see what else you could have done, maybe reraise his stupid bet on turn but he might be askin for that with a flush.
  • edited January 2010
    Check raise more on flop so you can pot all in shove turn no matter what comes.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Flopped a set - did i shoot myself in the foot?:
    Check raise more on flop so you can pot all in shove turn no matter what comes.
    Posted by zing
    This is the line I was considering after taking another look at the hand. This was a 3/4 pot raise, if i make it pot so that I am committed then shove the turn maybe he folds. But I'm not sure.

His 80p was one of two things "I'm an idiot" or "I want a call".
  • edited January 2010
    dont check turn, u reraise flop, stick it in on turn or pot it.
  • edited February 2010
    flop raise is good, yeah definately dont check turn and checking the flop is fine, as played when he bets 80p into a 5 something pot it doesnt look very strong so i dont think it would of been bad to ship it, i like it better than flatting.
  • edited February 2010
    flop raise is good, yeah definately dont check turn and checking the flop is fine, as played when he bets 80p into a 5 something pot it doesnt look very strong so i dont think it would of been bad to ship it, i like it better than flatting.
    Posted by boylebag

Bet turn, fold pre also.
  • edited February 2010
    Folding pre is the DUMBEST suggestion I've ever heard of.
  • edited February 2010
    Fortunately got away fairly cheap but his call on the flop is such spew. Anything but the spade on the river and im potting it.
    Posted by Deadluck
    Getting away cheap is not the right mentality; on the turn you are a massive favourite. You've cost yourself money rather than saving it. The spade doesn't hit the river that often and he may well call all in on the turn with his pair and picked up flush draw. Just fold the twos preflop.
  • edited February 2010
    Folding pre is the DUMBEST suggestion I've ever heard of.
    Posted by Deadluck

Why? 

Other than the fact when you flop gin you think backwardly and dont get any value?

Care to explain yourself or just happy to be stubborn and foolish?
  • edited February 2010
    I'm not folding 22 preflop when we are 100bb deep. Hitting sets and getting paid by a preflop raiser who refuses to lay their marginal hands down is where most of my money comes from.

I'm not a fool, nor stubborn. Folding pre is just a waste.
  • edited February 2010
    And raising nits from the c/o and button who fold pairs preflop LOL
  • edited February 2010
    I'm not folding 22 preflop when we are 100bb deep. Hitting sets and getting paid by a preflop raiser who refuses to lay their marginal hands down is where most of my money comes from. I'm not a fool, nor stubborn. Folding pre is just a waste.
    Posted by Deadluck

Explain rather than just saying im wrong.

How often do you flop a set?

How easy is it to get paid (esp when you check...)

How often do you stack AA. 

How often are you bluffing them off the best hand.

In the long run calling 22 from the sb to the btn and 'set mining' especially when you play it like this post flop with such conflicting reasons for doing stuff is going to be a losing play.
  • edited February 2010
    And raising nits from the c/o and button who fold pairs preflop LOL
    Posted by Deadluck

What does this even mean?
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Flopped a set - did i shoot myself in the foot? : Explain rather than just saying im wrong. How often do you flop a set? How easy is it to get paid (esp when you check...) How often do you stack AA.  How often are you bluffing them off the best hand. In the long run calling 22 from the sb to the btn and 'set mining' especially when you play it like this post flop with such conflicting reasons for doing stuff is going to be a losing play.
    Posted by beaneh
    Been thinking on these points and I have begun to agree with them. Should I only be calling them with more players in the pot? Or to a smaller button raise?
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Flopped a set - did i shoot myself in the foot? : What does this even mean?
    Posted by beaneh
    I make a fair bit from people who have really tight ranges in the blinds. Doesn't apply so much on Sky but certainly on other sites where people use the SSS.
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Flopped a set - did i shoot myself in the foot? : Been thinking on these points and I have begun to agree with them. Should I only be calling them with more players in the pot? Or to a smaller button raise?
    Posted by Deadluck
    Have a look in the merenovice thread about set mining, I put a slightly longer post in there.

Just list all the good flops for pocket twos and think how many other flops there are.
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks beaneh. Sorry for being so closed minded in my original responses. I do appreciate your help!
  • edited February 2010
    i think the check on the turn should have been all in. the check shows weakness too me. play your sets AGG

In Response to Flopped a set - did i shoot myself in the foot?:
    Hand History #228425592 (18:56 29/01/2010) Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance jaywmac1 Small blind £0.05 £0.05 £4.40 Deadluck Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £9.40   Your hole cards 2 2       gaz_oafc Fold         johnholyhe Fold         oldgill Raise   £0.40 £0.55 £9.41 jaywmac1 Fold         Deadluck Call   £0.30 £0.85 £9.10 Flop     Q 7 2       Deadluck Check         oldgill Bet   £0.55 £1.40 £8.86 Deadluck Raise   £2.01 £3.41 £7.09 oldgill Call   £1.46 £4.87 £7.40 Turn     10       Deadluck Check         oldgill Bet   £0.80 £5.67 £6.60 Deadluck Call   £0.80 £6.47 £6.29 River     9       Deadluck Check         oldgill Check         Deadluck Show 2 2       oldgill Show 8 8       oldgill Win Flush to the Queen £6.15   £12.75
    Posted by Deadluck
  • edited February 2010
    I like the way you played the hand.  I might raise more on the flop, but I'm nit picking.  Apart from that, I would have played it exactly the same.  But then again, I am a nit.
  • edited February 2010
    I like the way you played the hand.  I might raise more on the flop, but I'm nit picking.  Apart from that, I would have played it exactly the same.  But then again, I am a nit.
    Posted by Wilhelm

A nit implies you like playing tight and getting your money in ahead?

So why would you call preflop? And why would you check turn after check raising the flop it makes no sense.