You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Registering late

edited November 2015 in Poker Chat
Is there any  benefit to be had by registering late in some sats and tourneys.Apart from the obvious of running well early on.

Comments

• edited November 2015
    In Response to Registering late:
    Is there any  benefit to be had by registering late in some sats and tourneys.Apart from the obvious of running well early on.
    Posted by chilling
    Depends on the tourney and depends how late you reg most of the all in players will have gone out but then there is the blinds to take into consideration.
  • edited November 2015
    This really does depend on several things. Let us just look at satallites for the moment.
    Why are you considering playing this sattalite ? Is it to play in the actual target event or is it for the money? 
    If it's for the money and there a lot of satellites running than it might be best to wait for the end of late reg and see if there is value in this satellite, this is usually when the blinds are fast, there are several places paid, a long late reg period, and preferably a couple of big stacks so you are not to far behind the stacks of people near the bubble. This means that a lot of satellites you will not enter and so no good if you wish to play in the target event for less money.

If you wish to play in the target event on the cheap then you need to play in this satellite and waiting could cause you to be entering at a disadvantage. If there is a slow blind structure and only a few levels of late reg it probably makes little difference when you enter as the chances of you being lucky or unlucky in this time probably cancel each other out. If the blind structure is slow and there is a long registration period then this is probably down to your temperament, and you need to ask yourself do I have the patience for the long grind early on, or do I prefer it when the action is hotting up because I like to play a bit short stacked. I tend in these to join when convenient, say I am playing 6 tournaments and that's what I feel comfortable with this evening, then I wait until the end of late reg or when I get knocked out/win a tournament to enter.

The fast blind structure ones I tend to enter approx half way through late reg, but this is to suit me and the way I play/ temperament etc. I wish to avoid the chaos early on, I.e. You go all in with AA get 5 callers and the odds are you will be knocked out, even if you win and now are chip leader there is a long way to go yet. If I enter too late I find I don't have enough effective stack to pressure.

This has hardly touched the subject, but as in many things do what keeps you happy and you won't be far wrong as there is a good reason for that
  • edited November 2015
    I personally like to be on time for SATs but not to bothered about Deep Stacks. I like as long as I can get to learn about competitors play and think you can pick up little hints around their methods quite early on.
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Registering late:
    In Response to Re: Registering late : Thanks angel and sir gary for the advice.Suppose sometimes it depends on being an opportunist as Misty4me and another player entered a two seat guaranteed sat and ended up the only two runners.SO KEEP EM PEELED MAYBE!!!
    Posted by chilling
    Wow thats amazing, never seen that happen before. Debating whether its worth my time trying to sat into the main tom, these sats are brutual didn't realise just how much variance is in them, thought well there a bit like dym's accept only 20% of people get paid so yeh will be a lil bit more variance to them.