You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tikay10/sky_jp roles?

edited November 2015 in Poker Chat
no offence but what are your roles/jobs with sky poker guys? I'm very confused are you just forum mods and Normal players like us? Do you work for sky? If so are you allowed to play on the site, if you are how come you're allowed to? Sorry guys just curious as new on using sky's forum! Thanks

Comments

• edited November 2015

Hi Al,

JP is the Sky Poker Priority Manager.

That's a full time "staff" role, & he is directly employed by Sky Poker.

As such, he has full "back office" access, & so, like all directly employed SB&G Staff, he cannot play on Sky Poker.

Me? I'm not directly employed by them, & I'm freelance. I have zero "back office" access, none at all, & don't want it. I have all manner of silly job titles, but I act as a bridge on here & Social Media between the players & the Business, trying to speak in a language common to both so as to help explain things in poker players language. I know exactly who to speak to in the office to get answers to stuff, & use that facility all the time.

I also have "Moderation" rights on the Community. All the Community Moderators are regular players drawn from the player base. The Staff have Moderation Rights, too.

I suppose I'm in the same category as, say, Neil Channing, Richard Orford etc, & as used to be the case when Julian Thew was here. On other sites, "Site Pros" & "Ambassadors" all have similar roles, & are expected to play on the site, too, though I'd not exactly rank myself anything like "Site Pro" or "Ambo", just a wannabe really.

We used to have challenges back in the day., I had a team of players, so did Richard Orford, & The Business arranged "Challenges" for us to play. There used to be a weekly "Take on tikay" Tournament, too, ran for several years.

I play on my own "personal" account, which I fund myself.

I can't really list all my "jobs", as they are so varied, but in particular, as well as assistance on the Community, I help broker the UKPC Tournaments every 6 months, & before that, the SPT's. I liase with the cardroom or Venue, & send all that stuff up to the Office, who make the decisions. Occasionally the Business will counsel my opinion on stuff like payout structures etc.

I also get the little "dirty" jobs most years - helping host the players in Las Vegas for Viva Las Vegas, & last week, ditto in Punta Cana.

I keep an "Official" Sky Poker Blog here, too. Just stories, puff, that sort of thing.  

I organise (in the loosest sense of the word) little "fun" Community Competitions, too, & Sky allocate me a sum to give away as prizes.

I work for the TV Side in London, too, as an Analyst & Consultant & general dogsbody.    

My first ever job when I joined Sky Poker TV in October 2006 was to teach all the staff to play poker. FAIL.

Hope that answers your question.    
  • edited November 2015

PS - well done on your UKOPS runner up berth last night. And how do I know about your result? I use the same facilities as  as everyone else. I use two sources - GaryQQQ's "Results Thread", & Sharkscope. It's amazing what you can find just by looking around. ;)

• edited November 2015
    Thanks for clearing that up for me, sounds a very hectic job! How do you fit time to play poker in? lol

And thanks, abit annoyed i didn't finish the job hate not winning a final table 2nd is not good enough..Especially having a 2/1 chip lead HU and losing 3 flips. Oh well could be worse and been playing for a bracelet and bigger £... thats Turbos
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Tikay10/sky_jp roles?:
    Thanks for clearing that up for me, sounds a very hectic job! How do you fit time to play poker in? lol And thanks, abit annoyed i didn't finish the job hate not winning a final table. Especially having a 2/1 chip lead HU and losing 3 flips. Oh well thats Turbos
    Posted by ALTiltYou
    Ha, I'd like to do a lot more for The Business, as I really enjoy working (sad case, me...), but I can't really do much more than I do because I cannot get involved in anything even remotely "back office".

I felt a bit guilty trotting off to Punta Cana last week, when all the more deserving staff were stuck in the Office, dead busy, up to their necks in it, doing whatever, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

In truth, I probably got the trip because I was the least busy &, I suppose, the least important & so I was one of the few who could be spared.

I spend from 6am each morning keeping myself busy with my little basket of jobs, then mid afternoon, I go to the Gym for an hour, then around 5pm, it's poker time, & if I have no other obligations, I play around 4 hours most evenings. Love the game, love it to bits, though I only play small-ball DYM's these days. 

I also do a bit of one-to one coaching/mentoring, too, (only to complete newbies, Level One stuff), which I thoroughly enjoy.  I charge for it at fair-value - that is to say, no charge. ;)

• edited November 2015
    Nice, sounds a flexiable job,

Hahaha must be nice, bahamas while getting paid for it! I wouldn't moan. 

Anyways thankyou for introducing yourself and clearing that up for me. Its been a pleasure. See you around.

Back to the tables for me. GL!!
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Tikay10/sky_jp roles?:
    no offence but what are your roles/jobs with sky poker guys? I'm very confused are you just forum mods and Normal players like us? Do you work for sky? If so are you allowed to play on the site, if you are how come you're allowed to? Sorry guys just curious as new on using sky's forum! Thanks
    Posted by ALTiltYou
    I am glad somebody asked this question. I have wanted to know for years.
  • edited November 2015
    Nice, sounds a flexiable job, Hahaha must be nice, bahamas while getting paid for it! I wouldn't moan.  Anyways thankyou for introducing yourself and clearing that up for me. Its been a pleasure. See you around. Back to the tables for me. GL!!
    Posted by ALTiltYou
    Best job ever, & when the time to say goodbye comes along - & it can't be long, given my advanced years - I'll be very sad, as I love it to bits. Helping people - which is what most of it is - is tremendously satisfying.

I'm not much of a moaner, tbh, you only have to read the newspapers every day to realise that those of us lucky enough to play poker are blessed. You'd not think so, reading this Forum some days, mind.

And yea, being sent to Punta Cana & Las Vegas is not the worst job ever......

The downside - there's always a downside - is that, sometimes, the Community get a bit chuntery, & that needs to be dealt with tactfully. In those cases, I can't speak my mind, which is probably just as well. ;) 
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Tikay10/sky_jp roles? : Ha, I'd like to do a lot more for The Business, as I really enjoy working (sad case, me...), but I can't really do much more than I do because I cannot get involved in anything even remotely "back office". I felt a bit guilty trotting off to Punta Cana last week, when all the more deserving staff were stuck in the Office, dead busy, up to their necks in it, doing whatever, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. In truth, I probably got the trip because I was the least busy &, I suppose, the least important & so I was one of the few who could be spared. I spend from 6am each morning keeping myself busy with my little basket of jobs, then mid afternoon, I go to the Gym for an hour, then around 5pm, it's poker time, & if I have no other obligations, I play around 4 hours most evenings. Love the game, love it to bits, though I only play small-ball DYM's these days.  I also do a bit of one-to one coaching/mentoring, too, (only to complete newbies, Level One stuff), which I thoroughly enjoy.  I charge for it at fair-value - that is to say, no charge. ;)   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Cheers Tikay!
  • edited November 2015

Marv, now I've put my foot in it......
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Tikay10/sky_jp roles? : Cheers Tikay!
    Posted by Sky_JP
    HaHa...made me chuckle :)
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Tikay10/sky_jp roles? : Ha, I'd like to do a lot more for The Business, as I really enjoy working (sad case, me...), but I can't really do much more than I do because I cannot get involved in anything even remotely "back office". I felt a bit guilty trotting off to Punta Cana last week, when all the more deserving staff were stuck in the Office, dead busy, up to their necks in it, doing whatever, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. In truth, I probably got the trip because I was the least busy &, I suppose, the least important & so I was one of the few who could be spared. I spend from 6am each morning keeping myself busy with my little basket of jobs, then mid afternoon, I go to the Gym for an hour, then around 5pm, it's poker time, & if I have no other obligations, I play around 4 hours most evenings. Love the game, love it to bits, though I only play small-ball DYM's these days.  I also do a bit of one-to one coaching/mentoring, too, (only to complete newbies, Level One stuff), which I thoroughly enjoy.  I charge for it at fair-value - that is to say, no charge. ;)   
    Posted by Tikay10

Lets hope they don't start opening the gym in the afternoon, doesn't bear thinking about
  • edited November 2015
    You speak of two legends here Altiltyou.  Although, they can both get a little fiesty at times.  JP, after numerous alcoholic beverages and losing at beer pong.  Tikay, after 12 latte's before 7 am and logging into the forum to see a sky poker is rigged post.

As you sky Sam, just take a wide berth.  He's the kid at school your mother tells you to stay well clear of.  ;)
  • edited November 2015
    You speak of two legends here Altiltyou.  Although, they can both get a little fiesty at times.  JP, after numerous alcoholic beverages and losing at beer pong.  Tikay, after 12 latte's before 7 am and logging into the forum to see a sky poker is rigged post. As you sky Sam, just take a wide berth.  He's the kid at school your mother tells you to stay well clear of.  ;)
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Even went as far as to try poisoning us. 
    Fortunately it was only Timmy who was affected and he made a full recovery
  • edited November 2015
    Sky Sam's a good guy he helped me and Nutter lose $400 in Vegas at 4 card poker in 30mins!!
  • edited November 2015
    Sky Sam's a good guy he helped me and Nutter lose $400 in Vegas at 4 card poker in 30mins!!
    Posted by TimmyRaRa
    Hahahaha love it!
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Tikay10/sky_jp roles? : Even went as far as to try poisoning us.  Fortunately it was only Timmy who was affected and he made a full recovery
    Posted by Jac35
    To be fair to JP, he tried the same. We went for a meal at some foreign food place, 4 of us were subsequently sick - in some cases alcohol may have played a part - & I was immediately thereafter confined to my bed - well bed & bathroom - for 36 hours.  
  • edited November 2015
    You speak of two legends here Altiltyou.  Although, they can both get a little fiesty at times.  JP, after numerous alcoholic beverages and losing at beer pong.  Tikay, after 12 latte's before 7 am and logging into the forum to see a sky poker is rigged post. As you sky Sam, just take a wide berth.  He's the kid at school your mother tells you to stay well clear of.  ;)
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Guilty as charged, I can be a tad irritable pre my first latte in the morning. I can cope with all the "it's rigged" nonsense, it's all those multi exclamation marks that tip me over the edge. Do they think it better to use 6 in case we might not see the first one? 

I'm not a great fan of low level sarcasm, either. "Oh, good to see Sky Poker care". As in meaning the complete opposite. Oh how we all laugh.

Ugh, you've set me off now, I'll be simmering for hours.

Agree with you as to Sam though. Blokes a wrong 'un.
  • edited November 2015
    Tikay latte question for you. Do you like ordinary latte or flavoured? As a fellow latte fiend my new favourite is Gingerbread latte.
  • edited November 2015
    Tikay latte question for you. Do you like ordinary latte or flavoured? As a fellow latte fiend my new favourite is Gingerbread latte.
  • edited November 2015
    Posted by Darkangel7
    "Ordinary". Always.

Flavoured lattes are the work of the devil, might even be more evil than alcohol.

Gill loves all the nonsense flavours though - "Gingerbread", "Pumpkin Spice", etc.

What is it with "Pumpkin Spice" these days, they add it to everything? Yuk, the USA version of Brussels sprouts.  
  • edited November 2015
    Having had the pleasure of meeting TK on a couple of occasions when sky was touring - I  have to say (and mean it) that he is one of the nicest guys you could wish to meet. When i first turned up everyone was still of the thought that Imber was a woman and then at last i was "outed" as I had qualified for Luton.

I occasionally play/dabble against TK on the plo8 tables - I talk very little because I realised it got in the way of concentration - and I can only remember one game when I finished in a lower position than TK - (not including the times i have registered and forgotten to turn up!) 

I hope I have got better - i know i have got luckier but TK makes Sky Poker far more enjoyable and to actually play against the great man on a level playing field is a great feeling. Thank you sir.
  • edited November 2015
    He makes the tea.

He sleeps in the corridor.

We occasionally let him on the show as a charitable gesture.

Hope this clears the matter up for you.
  • edited November 2015
    Having had the pleasure of meeting TK on a couple of occasions when sky was touring - I  have to say (and mean it) that he is one of the nicest guys you could wish to meet. When i first turned up everyone was still of the thought that Imber was a woman and then at last i was "outed" as I had qualified for Luton. I occasionally play/dabble against TK on the plo8 tables - I talk very little because I realised it got in the way of concentration - and I can only remember one game when I finished in a lower position than TK - (not including the times i have registered and forgotten to turn up!)  I hope I have got better - i know i have got luckier but TK makes Sky Poker far more enjoyable and to actually play against the great man on a level playing field is a great feeling. Thank you sir.
    Posted by imber
    Wow, I'm blushing now, what a lovely post, thank you Mr Imber.

I vividly recall the first time we met - SPT Luton. You were wearing a scarf, & so was I. Kindred spirits.

I noticed you had stopped chatting recently in the PLO8 DYM's, & I don't blame you one bit - it definitely, without a shadow of doubt, affects the concentration. I won 12 from my first 15 last night, then started replying to questions - it seems so rude to ignore them - & only won 7 of the next 15. It is something I feel I ought to do though, so no complaints.

I'm full of admiration at how you have improved your game of late, you've certainly busted me way too many times - & I'll tell you why - I can't get a handle on what you are doing, you are, in the nicest way possible, an "awkward shaped parcel" to play against, as I just can't figure your strategy. There are lots of better players than me, but I know what they are doing. In your case - & just ONE other player in the whole PLO8 player pool - I've just got no idea of how to combat what you are doing. I'll figure you out eventually though. I will.....

It's easy to - unintentionally - make enemies when involved with a poker site, or on TV, & I've got my share, so I really do appreciate your comments, thank you very much.

• edited November 2015
    He makes the tea. He sleeps in the corridor. We occasionally let him on the show as a charitable gesture. Hope this clears the matter up for you.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Wow, what a horrible post.

I'd just like to add that I dislike you.

I dislike you.  
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Tikay10/sky_jp roles? : Wow, what a horrible post. I'd just like to add that I dislike you. I dislike you.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Oh tikay that's a bit harsh you should rise above this Richard has done OK since that whole blue Peter business cut him a bit of slack
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Tikay10/sky_jp roles? : Oh tikay that's a bit harsh you should rise above this Richard has done OK since that whole blue Peter business cut him a bit of slack
    Posted by weecheez1
    Very fair comment, very fair comment indeed.
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Tikay10/sky_jp roles? : Oh tikay that's a bit harsh you should rise above this Richard has done OK since that whole blue Peter business cut him a bit of slack
    Posted by weecheez1

Those days are such a blur that I can't even remember one moment of my Blue Peter years.

I must have been really out of it.
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Tikay10/sky_jp roles? : Those days are such a blur that I can't even remember one moment of my Blue Peter years. I must have been really out of it.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    I am just new to sky but they seem like a great bunch of people and I'm sure they will help you in any way they can keep yourself on the straight and narrow