You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

oioi, a £1,100 Sky Poker UKPC seat is on offer today.

edited November 2015 in Poker Chat

All you have to do is win the UKOPS Main Event, & you'll get the bonus of a £1,100 Sky Poker UKPC Seat.

Easy game. Ish.

Comments

• edited November 2015
    Is this added to the prize pool or taken from the prize pool?
  • edited November 2015

Good question, Matthew.

It is added to the guarantee.

So if the comp fails to hit the guarantee, it is added to the prize pool.

If the comp makes more than £41,100, it is part of the prize pool.

Does that make sense?

In effect, the guarantee has been increased from £40,000 to £41,100.
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: oioi, a £1,100 Sky Poker UKPC seat is on offer today.:
    Good question, Matthew. It is added to the guarantee. So if the comp fails to hit the guarantee, it is added to the prize pool. If the comp makes more than £41,100, it is part of the prize pool. Does that make sense? In effect, the guarantee has been increased from £40,000 to £41,100.
    Posted by Tikay10
    So it's taken from the prize pool! Thanks for answering
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: oioi, a £1,100 Sky Poker UKPC seat is on offer today. : So it's taken from the prize pool! Thanks for answering
    Posted by MattBates
    Should be taken from your bankroll imo :)

Good luck tonight.
  • ommomm
    edited November 2015
    Good question, Matthew. It is added to the guarantee. So if the comp fails to hit the guarantee, it is added to the prize pool. If the comp makes more than £41,100, it is part of the prize pool. Does that make sense? In effect, the guarantee has been increased from £40,000 to £41,100.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Is this a definite Tikay? Isn't it abit late in the day to potentially be taking £1100 from the prizepool and making it a seat? Wasn't all of the other seats on offer throughout UKOPS added to the prizepool? (Big chance I'm wrong on that)

Edit: based on the guarantee being smashed obviously. 

Edit edit: and your 1st post does say a bonus.
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: oioi, a £1,100 Sky Poker UKPC seat is on offer today. : Is this a definite Tikay? Isn't it abit late in the day to potentially be taking £1100 from the prizepool and making it a seat? Wasn't all of the other seats on offer throughout UKOPS added to the prizepool? (Big chance I'm wrong on that) Edit: based on the guarantee being smashed obviously.  Edit edit: and your 1st post does say a bonus.
    Posted by omm
    No, the other seats were in fact taken from the prizepool too!
  • ommomm
    edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: oioi, a £1,100 Sky Poker UKPC seat is on offer today. : No, the other seats were in fact taken from the prizepool too!
    Posted by MattBates
    Oh dear. 
  • edited November 2015
    First i was aware that the other seats on the previous nights wernt added value and were infact taken from the prizepool its dissapointing the way this was worded as unless you looked into the figures there was no added value and the players were mislead.  Only noticed this when i looked into the numbers.  Then to hear that £1100 will be taken from the prizepool is very dissapointing especially at a last minute announcement on the day of the tournament.

Very dissapointing overall and very poor as a last minute announcement.

• edited November 2015
    this is unfair to the already paying customers for a number of reasons, most notably what if they can't make the live tournament? If they can't, then will a refund be issued? If yes, then what's the point of the offering? If no, then it seems extremely unfair since the tournament prizepool was changed on the final day. more issues too, but this should definitely be reversed 
  • edited November 2015
    I have to say doing this has annoyed me, earlier in the week you made out that the seats were added to the prizepool. In effect sky are deciding what to do with the prizepool by deciding some of the prizepool goes to a main event seat. Now today you use the term bonus when in fact again you are deciding what to do with some of the prizepool. 

The worst thing is so many players wont realise what you have done as what players calculate the prizepool when bonus seats are on offer. 

Poor decsision and poor wording of the decision.
  • edited November 2015

+1

i think that this is a big mistake, if true. 

you will remember the employment laws that were introduced to stop workers being paid in vouchers that could only be spent in the factory shop.

• ommomm
    edited November 2015
    I think it's a lot easier with this sort of thing if it is all planned and known in advance if the seats are coming out of the prizepool (and not added as additional prizes at the last minute). Don't think it will stop many people playing but at least the choice is there and bigger than this is the fact that people will be aware, as it stands the majority will not realise, of course they may not care anyway! Apart from the 25k £11 tournaments I'm sure the mains have not had overlay so saying the guarantee has increased is really just a marketing trick at best and skullduggery at worse. 
  • edited November 2015
    Hi All,

I have taken all the comments onboard and realised this is too late in the day to make the change for an event such as the UKOPS main. Therefore the guarantee will revert back to 40k and the seat awarded as a complete bonus to the winner.

I can assure no "skullduggery" was intended here it was purely seen on my part as a bonus. I can see however from feedback here and sepereately from Tikay that this was a mistake. 

So back to 40k and good luck tonight, it promises to be a good one.

Sam
  • edited November 2015
    Thanks Sam, nice work. We appreciate the quick response to the issue :)
  • ommomm
    edited November 2015
    Hi All, I have taken all the comments onboard and realised this is too late in the day to make the change for an event such as the UKOPS main. Therefore the guarantee will revert back to 40k and the seat awarded as a complete bonus to the winner. I can assure no "skullduggery" was intended here it was purely seen on my part as a bonus. I can see however from feedback here and sepereately from Tikay that this was a mistake.  So back to 40k and good luck tonight, it promises to be a good one. Sam
    Posted by Sky_SamT

Probably shouldn't have put that as you guys seem genuinely honest, I retract the last sentence and my apologies if it caused offence. Top work for the quick response and how you have dealt with it. 

• edited November 2015
    Thanks Sam appreciate the help in resolving this.
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: oioi, a £1,100 Sky Poker UKPC seat is on offer today. : Probably shouldn't have put that as you guys seem genuinely honest, I retract the last sentence and my apologies if it caused offence. Top work for the quick response and how you have dealt with it. 
    Posted by omm
    No offence taken, this was a discussion Tikay and I had on Friday. I thought it was a fantastic idea and he wasn't so sure. Looks like he was right on this one. Happy to admit he is right occasionally. 
  • edited November 2015
    Hi All, I have taken all the comments onboard and realised this is too late in the day to make the change for an event such as the UKOPS main. Therefore the guarantee will revert back to 40k and the seat awarded as a complete bonus to the winner. I can assure no "skullduggery" was intended here it was purely seen on my part as a bonus. I can see however from feedback here and sepereately from Tikay that this was a mistake.  So back to 40k and good luck tonight, it promises to be a good one. Sam
    Posted by Sky_SamT
    Good work for listening and changing it Sam. 
  • edited November 2015

well done, sam, correcting this and correcting it promptly

• edited November 2015
    Much kudos to Sky and Tikay for sorting this out, a lot of class shown.
  • edited November 2015
    Now we just need all the previous ones having prize pool adjusted and will be all friends again :) 

Good work 
  • edited November 2015
    Fairplay to sky for listening as potentially taking £1100 out the prize pool to add to first was a bad idea especailly this late in the day.

I do feel a little deceived by sky as i thought the added seats this week were added and not taken out the prize pool and i  joined one main event based on that assumtion,bit shady from sky TBH trying to dictate where some of the prize goes but at the same time making it look like a giveraway 
  • edited November 2015
    Do sky award themselves the rake when using the prize pool to fund seats?

So say they decide to award a seat into a £55 bounty hunter to the top ten finishers in an mtt.

This is taken out of the prize pool.

Do sky take £550 from the pool?

If so aren't they effectively forcing the player pool into paying them £50 in rake?
  • edited November 2015

Morning chaps.

Apologies for my clumsy wording, especially as to "bonus". In my follow-up post, in reply to Batesy, I did clarify it properly.

It was a genuine misunderstanding, & something Sam & I started discussing on Friday, as I had concerns that the wording of these things needs to be just so.

Sky Poker is in it's 9th year, & I hope by now most of you will realise that whilst they make their share of mistakes, they have never been guilty of deliberate sharp practice.

Anyway, UKOPS ended on a high, it seemed to be a great evening, & I hope most of you enjoyed it - warts & all.    

• edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: oioi, a £1,100 Sky Poker UKPC seat is on offer today. : No offence taken, this was a discussion Tikay and I had on Friday. I thought it was a fantastic idea and he wasn't so sure. Looks like he was right on this one. Happy to admit he is right occasionally. 
    Posted by Sky_SamT
    "occasionally"? 2nd time this century, if you don't mind.

• edited November 2015
    Do sky award themselves the rake when using the prize pool to fund seats? So say they decide to award a seat into a £55 bounty hunter to the top ten finishers in an mtt. This is taken out of the prize pool. Do sky take £550 from the pool? If so aren't they effectively forcing the player pool into paying them £50 in rake?
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    No idea, Teddy, but I'll ask the question.

Going forward, these things will be worded more clearly.
  • edited November 2015
    Very saddened to read this post. Although Sky may not "be guilty of deliberate sharp practice", but the fact is it is sharp practice.In fact i would go so far as to say its illegal. I suspect anyone taking this up to arbritation would win the argument with relative ease.My first reaction was to keep away from this debate as it has knothing to do with me, but i realised i came 8th and won a seat the following day. I was gutted with the massive outdraw but there was some consolation in getting a little bonus for another chance the following day. This is bad on so many levels that i could write a sermon on it. I think sky should re examine this and make amends to prizes given. Although this may cost a little, in fact it would be a cheap price for all the good publicity it would create. People receiving a little money and an apology would give the brand a boost money normally cannot buy.On the other hand, Failure to resolve could lead to substantial brand damage if anyone takes this further.I'm seriously angry at the moment to contemplate this so im going to take a step back.For my part its not about the money and i would happily give permission to sky to donate to charity.
  • edited November 2015
    Hi All,

I wanted to give a little backgorund on this one. 

Four times in the second week of the festival we added £1,100 worth of seats onto the guarantee of the tournament. This was never marketed in any other way than added to the guarantee of the event in question. There were threads on the forum each time we did this as well as site messaging to back up what we were doing, plus a description in the tournament lobby. Had the guarantee of these tournaments not been met we would have still stood the extra £1,100 worth of seats as these were seen as an incentive to those debating whether to play this. This was also done the previous weekend with High Roller seats. 

I apologise if anybody feels like they have been mislead by this and we will look at how we handle situations such as this one going forward. This isn't something that is unique to Sky Poker you will find many tournaments/ sites that incorporate seats in a quoted guarantee but as mentioned I will look at how/ if we do this going forward.

Thanks
    Sam
  • edited November 2015
    I can see why it's good practice for sites as you are essentially ensuring a % of the prize pool comes straight back to you as rake by forcing winners into buying a service off you. And you also increase numbers in the target events you lock players into.

Not sure if it's in the player's best interest though
  • ommomm
    edited November 2015
    I personally think that this could be the start of a very worrying trend that we see at other operators and would ask that you guys consider not doing this again in the future, It seems that once businesses start doing the "added seats thing" it all of a sudden becomes the norm and it starts happening all the time i.e to get numbers in the roller up you will start doing it on every daily main event (sorry to give you ideas), this would ultimately lead to reduced cash prizes and in the long term will definitely be -EV for most people that play regularly on the site. Of course there will probably be exceptions to this and that will mainly be with the people that cannot afford to play higher buy in events however it could be argued that Sky has a great satellite system which any player has an opportunity to use to their advantage.