You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Where do we live?

edited November 2015 in Poker Chat
Tikay and I recently had a chat about countries sharing an island, and soon realised that we didn't even know the name of the island we live on.

After speaking to a girl studying towards a degree in Geography, we know the answer.

So, do you know the name of the largest island in the British Isles?

No googling allowed.

Comments

• edited November 2015
    Tristan -de-Cuna
  • edited November 2015
    Did you have that conversation in Dominca per chance (ie this is all really just a work's jolly brag in disguise)

PS I have looked it up (other search engines are available) and I dont agree with the answer I found so I am hoping there is a better one.
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Where do we live?:
    Did you have that conversation in Dominca per chance (ie this is all really just a work's jolly brag in disguise) PS I have looked it up (other search engines are available) and I dont agree with the answer I found so I am hoping there is a better one.
    Posted by Phantom66

Correct. No brag intended!

I'm guessing you have the same answer as me, as I was a little unimpressed/disappointed.

• edited November 2015
    The answer I came up with was the 2 word answer of the sum:United Kingdom - Northern Ireland 

Which in my mind would include The isle of wight, anglesey, walney island, lundy, mull, skye etc, so not just the mainland parts of England, Wales and Scotland.

• edited November 2015
    That's the one I have, and I also thought it included all of the little ones around the outside.

Wikipedia suggests that all of those aren't included in the answer we have, making all residents non-British?
  • edited November 2015
    Can a mod remove this from poker chat please. ;)
  • edited November 2015
    The largest island in the uk is the island called:

Great britain

England wales and scotland
  • edited November 2015
    The answer I came up with was the 2 word answer of the sum:United Kingdom - Northern Ireland  Which in my mind would include The isle of wight, anglesey, walney island, lundy, mull, skye etc, so not just the mainland parts of England, Wales and Scotland.
    Posted by Phantom66
    PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW AN ISLAND COULD BE ON THE MAINLAND
  • edited November 2015
    The largest island in the uk is the island called: Great britain England wales and scotland
    Posted by stuarty117

Great britain is NOT a place, its a name only its an amalgamation of 3 seperate countries
  • edited November 2015

The biggest island by land mass ? is .........
  • edited November 2015

Islands (18 total) over 100,000 km2 (39,000 sq mi)[edit]

Although an island is, in general, any land mass that is completely surrounded by water, some definitions exclude land masses large enough to be considered continents. Placing Australia in the latter category (even though arguments can be made whether it is technically a continent, or merely part of a larger continent also called Australia) makes Greenland the largest island. For the sake of classification, this list of islands begins with Greenland.

RankIsland's nameArea
    (km2)[4]
    Area
    (sq mi)
    Country or countries
    1Greenland[Note 3]2,130,800[6]822,706 Greenland, constituent country of the  Kingdom of Denmark
    2New Guinea785,753303,381 Indonesia (Papua and West Papua) and  Papua New Guinea
    3Borneo748,168288,869 Brunei Indonesia (CentralEastNorthSouth and West Kalimantan) and  Malaysia (Sabah and Sarawak)
    4Madagascar587,713226,917 Madagascar
    5Baffin Island507,451[7]195,928 Canada (Nunavut)
    6Sumatra480,848187,831 Indonesia (AcehBengkuluJambiLampungRiau and NorthSouth and West Sumatra)
    7Honshu225,80087,182 Japan (ChūbuChūgokuKansaiKantō and Tōhoku Regions)
    8Victoria Island217,291[7]83,897 Canada (Northwest Territories and Nunavut)
    9Great Britain209,33180,823 United Kingdom (EnglandScotland and Wales)
    10Ellesmere Island196,236[7]75,767 Canada (Nunavut)
  • edited November 2015
    Great Britain
    9th largest Island in the world
    as confirmed by wiki

• edited November 2015
    Great Britain 9th largest Island in the world as confirmed by wiki
    Posted by GELDY
    Ty 

Do i get a turbo tuesday seat jp
  • edited November 2015
    I knew the answer immediately, without hesitation. It seems strange that any British person of sane mind body could possibly get it wrong.

I also know that the proper name of this country is 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.
  • edited November 2015
    Can a mod remove this from poker chat please. ;)
    Posted by jordz16
    I was expecting this!
  • edited November 2015
    I knew the answer immediately, without hesitation. It seems strange that any British person of sane mind body could possibly get it wrong. I also know that the proper name of this country is 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    I was quite shocked when I realised I didn't know this also.

As was Tikay, and quite a few others.

I just find it funny that Scotland is part of Great Britain, which makes Scottish people British, whereas The Isle of Skye (for example) is part of Scotland, making the residents Scottish, but not British. 
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Where do we live? : I was quite shocked when I realised I didn't know this also. As was Tikay, and quite a few others. I just find it funny that Scotland is part of Great Britain, which makes Scottish people British, whereas The Isle of Skye (for example) is part of Scotland, making the residents Scottish, but not British. 
    Posted by Sky_JP
    Wrong.....

The rules for being British are complex and depend on whether you were born before 1983. But effectively you are British if from the UK. 
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Where do we live?:
    Tikay and I recently had a chat about countries sharing an island, and soon realised that we didn't even know the name of the island we live on. After speaking to a girl studying towards a degree in Geography, we know the answer. So, do you know the name of the largest island in the British Isles? No googling allowed.
    Posted by Sky_JP

So the answer is ...... Britain
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Where do we live? : I was quite shocked when I realised I didn't know this also. As was Tikay, and quite a few others. I just find it funny that Scotland is part of Great Britain, which makes Scottish people British, whereas The Isle of Skye (for example) is part of Scotland, making the residents Scottish, but not British. 
    Posted by Sky_JP
    This I didn't know. But then why would Skye, Mull, Shetlands, et al be allowed to vote in the UK elections?
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Where do we live? : So the answer is ...... Britain
    Posted by sillymid
    No, it's Great Britain, the largest of the 6,000 British Isles.

If you're standing on the Isle of Wight, The Isle of Man, etc. you are not standing on the island known as Great Britain, but you are standing in the country known as The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island.

It would be ridiculous for country names to have to include every island that forms part of that country. For example there is no mention of Tasmania, a huge island with a population of half a million, in the formal name of the country of which it is a part; Australia.

Being 'British' means you are a citizen of the UK, including any of the smaller islands. It doesn't only apply to people who live on the largest of those 6,000 islands.
  • edited November 2015
    The British Isles  obviously

lol

Nannypat66
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Where do we live? : No, it's Great Britain, the largest of the 6,000 British Isles.   If you're standing on the Isle of Wight, The Isle of Man, etc. you are not standing on the island known as Great Britain, but you are standing in the country known as The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island. It would be ridiculous for country names to have to include every island that forms part of that country. For example there is no mention of Tasmania, a huge island with a population of half a million, in the formal name of the country of which it is a part; Australia. Being 'British' means you are a citizen of the UK, including any of the smaller islands. It doesn't only apply to people who live on the largest of those 6,000 islands.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    "Great" Britain is a concept only created after the union of the English and Scottish Parliaments in 1707. What was the name of the island (without Isle of Wight etc.) before that?
  • edited November 2015
    I do think it is ironic that being British is not about being from any of:

Britain
    Great Britain
    or the British Isles

but from the United Kingdom

I guess it is as we learnt at school - you need to learn the rules - but also the exceptions
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Where do we live? : No, it's Great Britain, the largest of the 6,000 British Isles.   If you're standing on the Isle of Wight, The Isle of Man, etc. you are not standing on the island known as Great Britain, but you are standing in the country known as The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Isle of Wight yes, Isle of Man no. The IOM is a crown dependency, not part of the UK.

I ignore any of this, I just say I live in Cornwall.

• edited November 2015
    why is this thread still open, it has nothing to do with poker chat mods please remove to the rail thank you paige55 :(:(:( lol xxxx i actually find this thread interesting xxxx so keep it in poker chat xxx
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Where do we live? : PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW AN ISLAND COULD BE ON THE MAINLAND
    Posted by bludreid11

We may have crossed wires here blud.

The search engine answer is "Great Britain".

However I do not understand that. Both of these statements cannot be true:

1. Great Britain + Northern Ireland = The United Kingdom
    2. Great Britain is an island