You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

On randomly meeting Sam Grafton in Prague.

edited November 2015 in Poker Chat
So I had just awoken from a late night poker game in Prague and went to a local restaurant for breakfast/ dinner. As i walk-in and get seated I look up opposite me to see the trademark snapback cap of Sam Grafton, sitting by himself - and the quietest i'd ever seen him. I couldnt help but stare then blurt out " you're Sam Grafton right?". To his reply was "yeah you play poker?".
anyways he quickly finished his food and came and sat at my table and we chatted poker, about him appearing on shark cage with Ronaldo and Jake cody. ( if you havent seen it its really funny as Sam rips into jake for wearing red moccasins). he gave some great advice about some games... `its always good when someone starts with " I shouldnt be telling you this but....".

He was definately as you seen him on TV, just a really down to earth, funny chatty guy. This is why i love poker, as unlike sports you can meet with your heroes and feel like if you work hard enough, eventully you can have success, and even knock them out of a tournament one day. I've seen a few pros now mainly at the Vic in London and in Punta Cana recently, but never really had a converstaion with a big name pro until now. That meal alone was definately +EV, and hopefully share a beer with him sometime while in Prague.

Anyone got any stories about meeting your poker heroes?

Comments

• edited November 2015
    That's cool I once met tom O'connor at Glasgow airport miserable so and so wouldn't even tell us a joke lol
  • edited November 2015
    Ha well I guess you have to meet them on a good day!
  • edited November 2015
    OK not about meeting a poker hero, but still its a story...

Was in the lift at work a few years ago and was chatting to a guy i knew and he was telling me he was going to Vegas the following week, 'oh will you be playing any poker?' I ask, 'no' he replied, 'we are going to watch my godson play in a tournament, he qualified for it a few months back, they are down to the last 9', 'What?!' I say; 'is he one of the November 9?' He looks puzzled and says he has no idea what i am talking about as he himself doesnt play poker, 'all I know' he says 'is that we are all wearing wigs to support him' yep his godson is Sam Holden!

Anne