You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

jekyll and hyde

edited November 2015 in Poker Chat
A wee question for the micro players 
Twice in the last three days I managed to get a seat with the big boys through the sats one in the 22 pound bounty hunter and last night's semi for the ukpc waited with anticipation then fell to pieces I don't think I am doing anything different should I be changing the way I play or just put it down to poor discipline it's like the big wet paint sign you can't help but touch 

Comments

• edited November 2015
    In Response to jekyll and hyde:
    A wee question for the micro players  Twice in the last three days I managed to get a seat with the big boys through the sats one in the 22 pound bounty hunter and last night's semi for the ukpc waited with anticipation then fell to pieces I don't think I am doing anything different should I be changing the way I play or just put it down to poor discipline it's like the big wet paint sign you can't help but touch 
    Posted by weecheez1
    Hi Mr.Cheez, it's the same game but different ;) I guess in the B/h you were playing scared and calling marginal hands dwindling your stack early doors,When folk spot this they can bet you off a better hand. Folk who have more knowledge in the game can answer much better than I but in the main it's better to be the aggressor than the caller and bet sizing in these are really important.Always have a plan down the streets, keep your eye on stack sizes on the table, say you have 3k and 2nd in chips with 1 person down to 1k with blinds 30/60 and billy big stack raises, you have A 10, no need to get involved, if shorty shoves, you still call and billy big stack re shoves you are in a world of pain. Player dependent, notes dependent, etc etc.prob doesn't help at all �� good luck.
  • edited November 2015
    As a fellow micro player, I have qualified for a handful of major events and I am yet to cash in any so don't take this as solid advice from someone who has successfully made the step-up.

One thing you need to take into account is how the regs in these comps will perceive us. Most likely they will have us pegged as "the value" at the table and will be looking to take our chips before another reg does.

Expect to be reraised most times we raise preflop and have a plan for that. Position is even more important than normal to help us when playing down the streets against strong opponents. If we are perceived as a "tight abc" played then expect our opponents to be continuation betting very light and double-barrelling to get us to fold. We can take advantage of that image by check/raising or reraising light ourselves, just try and do it selectively.
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: jekyll and hyde:
    In Response to jekyll and hyde : Hi Mr.Cheez, it's the same game but different ;) I guess in the B/h you were playing scared and calling marginal hands dwindling your stack early doors,When folk spot this they can bet you off a better hand. Folk who have more knowledge in the game can answer much better than I but in the main it's better to be the aggressor than the caller and bet sizing in these are really important.Always have a plan down the streets, keep your eye on stack sizes on the table, say you have 3k and 2nd in chips with 1 person down to 1k with blinds 30/60 and billy big stack raises, you have A 10, no need to get involved, if shorty shoves, you still call and billy big stack re shoves you are in a world of pain. Player dependent, notes dependent, etc etc.prob doesn't help at all �� good luck.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    That's exactly what I was doing thanks for the advice I need to ignore the stakes I think they put me off and just play normal if that makes sense
  • edited November 2015
    As a fellow micro player, I have qualified for a handful of major events and I am yet to cash in any so don't take this as solid advice from someone who has successfully made the step-up. One thing you need to take into account is how the regs in these comps will perceive us. Most likely they will have us pegged as "the value" at the table and will be looking to take our chips before another reg does. Expect to be reraised most times we raise preflop and have a plan for that. Position is even more important than normal to help us when playing down the streets against strong opponents. If we are perceived as a "tight abc" played then expect our opponents to be continuation betting very light and double-barrelling to get us to fold. We can take advantage of that image by check/raising or reraising light ourselves, just try and do it selectively.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Lol you can almost hear them licking  there lips but onwards and upwards
  • edited November 2015
    Hi. My advice is this. It's all in your perception of yourself. You assume because it's a bigger buyin that everyone is better than you and also you assume that you are now the worse and now can't do well.

That's just not true. The quality will only jump slightly and yes as you go deeper you will come across better players but remember they do NOT know you and how you play. You are still allowed to win! 

So, just relax and play your game. I do suggest you set yourself some goals. They could be playing as much in position as you can, playing less hands from utg, playing more attention to your decisions and why your folding/calling/betting etc just to take away from what MTT your playing and concentrating on playing as best you can and letting the cards fall as they do. 

Good luck. 

• edited November 2015
    Hi. My advice is this. It's all in your perception of yourself. You assume because it's a bigger buyin that everyone is better than you and also you assume that you are now the worse and now can't do well. That's just not true. The quality will only jump slightly and yes as you go deeper you will come across better players but remember they do NOT know you and how you play. You are still allowed to win!  So, just relax and play your game. I do suggest you set yourself some goals. They could be playing as much in position as you can, playing less hands from utg, playing more attention to your decisions and why your folding/calling/betting etc just to take away from what MTT your playing and concentrating on playing as best you can and letting the cards fall as they do.  Good luck. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Thanks I will 
  • edited November 2015
    Remember as well the value of the tickets.

In micro mtt you can over raise and know you will get called most times.  Even all ins into a dry pot can get callers with rubbish.
    But as you go up the stakes you are increasingly going to see people just fold to over-bets and then look to trap you.

Bet sizing becomes way more important the higher you play.
  • edited November 2015
    Good afternoon Weecheez.
    My advice to you stick to winning the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack.
    All the best.
    Rainman397.

P.S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK YET.
  • edited November 2015
    A wee question for the micro players  Twice in the last three days I managed to get a seat with the big boys through the sats one in the 22 pound bounty hunter and last night's semi for the ukpc waited with anticipation then fell to pieces I don't think I am doing anything different should I be changing the way I play or just put it down to poor discipline it's like the big wet paint sign you can't help but touch 
    Posted by weecheez1
                                                            Hi Cheeze,
                                                                           Your play in the sats clearly shows you have earned the right to sit down with the big boys and I wouldn't adjust your game drasticly except to remember that they have the disposable income to buy-in and therefore often play loose/aggro as they probably don't care as much as you in play.
                                                                                                                              Maybe observe and take notes whilst the blinds are small then adjust to the table dynamics.Hope this helps mate,
                                                                                                                 Run well,
                                                                                                                              Jim
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to jekyll and hyde :                                                         Hi Cheeze,                                                                        Your play in the sats clearly shows you have earned the right to sit down with the big boys and I wouldn't adjust your game drasticly except to remember that they have the disposable income to buy-in and therefore often play loose/aggro as they probably don't care as much as you in play.                                                                                                                           Maybe observe and take notes whilst the blinds are small then adjust to the table dynamics.Hope this helps mate,                                                                                                              Run well,                                                                                                                           Jim
    Posted by GILLS69
    Taken all the good advice on board all I need to do now is get back up there lol
  • edited November 2015
    Posted by weecheez1

tom and the others speak a lot of sense

not mentioned though is that the semi sats into the ukpc are full of strong sat players - you have to be very aware of how a sat plays differently than a normal mtt. other than that glglgl

• edited November 2015
    In Response to jekyll and hyde : tom and the others speak a lot of sense not mentioned though is that the semi sats into the ukpc are full of strong sat players - you have to be very aware of how a sat plays differently than a normal mtt. other than that glglgl
    Posted by GELDY
    Thanks geldy I am railing the final like a kid in a sweet shop what I did notice is most of the plays are for small pots and I think that's one of the problems with my game I want the big pots and my mindset is still back in the old brag days when ace high was strong I have a lot to learn but I will have fun trying