You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What's the best way to get out of a downswing?

Seriously, since January I've been running so bad it's unreal. Before anyone thinks this might be the usual rant it's not. The site AIN'T rigged & I'm fairly sure Sky don't hate me, lol.

Seriously though, whilst I'm nowhere near being a great player (I'd say maybe average at best) the last 6/7 months I can't seem to do anything right. I know I have flaws in my game and I'm getting better with some of those but as far as I can see I'm not doing anything differently to before when I was winning more than I'm losing and maybe it's just variance & there's absolutely nothing I can do about it whatsoever?

What does anyone else do? Like I say, it's been the best part of 6/7 months now and I'm really not sure what to do next.

Apologies if I've rambled at all!

Comments

• edited July 2009

Although only this week im on the same run, KQ losin to KJ, ect ect bad beat blah blah, its just frustratin but i keep tellin myself if I carry on gettin it in ahead sooner or later (probably later) I will start winning the money i've donked off back.

• edited July 2009

I agree with a lot that Ncolley said, it may seem very cliched but all you can do is keep getting your money in when it's good, i myself am on a downswing at the moment but as long as when you look back on how you played on a given day and can say that you got your money in good then you are doing all you can.

Best of luck at the tables Silentbob. Keep on grinding.

• edited July 2009
    Hi Bob,
    I went through a similar run for about 4 months and what i did was, sit down and honestly look how i was playing .
    I found that although i thought i wasnt doing anything different, i was actually not playing my usual game.
    What i did was, on cash dropped a level(to not hurt my bankroll) and in tournies went from paying the buyin to going in satelittes to get a cheaper entry, but most of all i listened to the voices in my head,ie when i thought i was behind fold and not chase draws etc.
    Within 3 weeks i came 2nd in the 500 for £900.
    I am in the middle of a bad run of results but i have reviewed my play and i am playing my game very well but suffering bad beats and outdraws, so i am more confident this time that the next win is round the corner.
    If your doing the right things it will break stick in there m8.
    col
  • edited July 2009
    My guess is that your game has suffered. You're almost certainly not doing the things that previously made you a winning player. You've probably tightened up too much. You probably get scared at every bet, at every card that hits the board.

Go back to 1st principles for small stakes in a cash game. Next time you play, cash in for a tenner and promise yourself that you won't call a single hand. Either you're folding (because you've got the worst of it) or you're raising (because you've got the best of it).

Good luck.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to What's the best way to get out of a downswing?:
    Seriously, since January I've been running so bad it's unreal. Before anyone thinks this might be the usual rant it's not. The site AIN'T rigged & I'm fairly sure Sky don't hate me, lol. Seriously though, whilst I'm nowhere near being a great player (I'd say maybe average at best) the last 6/7 months I can't seem to do anything right. I know I have flaws in my game and I'm getting better with some of those but as far as I can see I'm not doing anything differently to before when I was winning more than I'm losing and maybe it's just variance & there's absolutely nothing I can do about it whatsoever? What does anyone else do? Like I say, it's been the best part of 6/7 months now and I'm really not sure what to do next. Apologies if I've rambled at all!
    Posted by silentbob
    I wish i knew  my run has been since october 08    If you find the answer  please share !!!
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys, I think it's time to really look through that hand history & see if I can find something in there.
  • edited July 2009

Every poker player has them.  Im up and down like a yo yo, but keep at it and over time if your getting your money in good youll prevail.  Take some time out, maybe recap some of your plays and see if youd play them any differently now.

• edited July 2009
    Woop! just won the mini view 1 for £160, my br stands higher then before the downswing now :).
  • edited July 2009
    dont  chase  your  draws  and  flushes   i know  over  the  long  run  u  will lose  a     very  lot  more then u will  win   just play solid  poker
  • edited July 2009
     BOB seeing as you support the best team in the land,

Everyone,  live and online has bad patches and form lose it's a part of this game. The thing to do is take small breaks a few days or a week..
     Also something that doesn't get mentioned is, your state of mind when you sit to play, don't play tired or stressed.
     I like to play 'sit n go' double your money when i just want a game but look ahead for a tournament in the evening and try to get no interruptions for that !!

C'mon u Iron's !!
  • edited July 2009

stand up, go for a cuppa and tell yourself that noone wins every time. and if you still cant stop dwelling on the past simply dont play, you dont want the extra pressure.

• edited July 2009
    I have recently gone through a similiar run... JJ losing to Ax, AA losing to AQ etc etc etc... but what i found is that i was risking all my chips more than i used to, every time you put all your chips in the middle you are risking your tournament life and leaving it to the poker gods to decide your fate... maybe try and avoid these all in situations without a big pair unless it is absolutely necessary. Also because of tilt your game suffers etc so its difficult to get out of but it can be done, shark scope me and you will notice the large drop but ive brought it back around slowly... just keep at it!
  • edited July 2009

Ive had a terrible time recently being 80% ahead when the money goes in 5 or 6 times in big pots in tournys and been outdrawn. It is realy fustraiting and its always on your mind that you cant do anything right. Its when you been sitting tight and seen people play crazy poker and win you get invovled with the best hand and sumhow lose.

Runners for straights or the most recent kk losing to A2 on 10 10 2 board the money was all in on the flop, not gna bore you with any more.

Its only been over a couple of days for me but ive been in good postions and gone out and it does put you down.

• edited July 2009
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I've had a week off and am feeling ready to go again. Time to run like god!
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: What's the best way to get out of a downswing?:
    Its when you been sitting tight and seen people play crazy poker and win you get invovled with the best hand and sumhow lose. Posted by big_mick12
    This has been my challenge - I have been on a downswing for about the last 6 months really. Have tried to play solid poker only playing premium hands, not chasing and following my instincts on calls etc but it is so frustrating when you sit at a table and see people calling all ins with K10 and hitting but when I finally do get a hand and I play it strong I get busted out due to being short stacked through discipline waiting for a decent hand and then the poker gods take another dump on you. Anyone got a torch so I can search for the end of this tunnel?
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: What's the best way to get out of a downswing? : This has been my challenge - I have been on a downswing for about the last 6 months really. Have tried to play solid poker only playing premium hands, not chasing and following my instincts on calls etc but it is so frustrating when you sit at a table and see people calling all ins with K10 and hitting but when I finally do get a hand and I play it strong I get busted out due to being short stacked through discipline waiting for a decent hand and then the poker gods take another dump on you. Anyone got a torch so I can search for the end of this tunnel?
    Posted by dowzer
    I would just suggest taking note of some of the great suggestions already in this thread. As I said, I've had a week away from the tables and came back feeling refreshed for some action. Unfortunately I'm not running like god but I have turned a very small profit since taking a breather.
  • edited July 2009
    Well done mate! Just keep at it!
    Oh and dowzer, stay tight at the start but when the blinds go up try and make some steals using your position regardless of what cards you have.
  • edited August 2009
    * Don't call raises out of position with QJ etc
    * When there's a hand you wanmt to play...raise with it (at least 2.5x)
    * Generally tighten up your hand selection
    * Don't call river bets with 2nd pair (or worse) unless you can put your opponent on a specific hand
    * Get 121 coaching from Mark Banin :-)
  • edited August 2009
    last point... very modest ;)
  • edited August 2009

All of the points raised so far are good things to think about when you are on a bad run. 

I think that when this has happened to me in the past, it used to really affect my confidence and I would end up either tilting or playing scared instead of making rational decisions.  Things would get sooooo bad I would convince myself that the site itself was against me LOL. 

So if I find myself thinking these ridiculous thoughts...........I just switch to playing a different site which seems to 'cleanse away' all the negative thoughts and helps to bring the rational attitude back, which usually leads to playing solid winning poker again.  I know this is nothing to do with the sites, its psychological, but it works for me, I now have my bankroll spread over several sites and play whichever is going well for me! 

• edited August 2009

DEPENDS HOW MUCH TIME U PLAY BOB AS WELL... IF U DO SAY A 3-4 HOUR SLOT.. AND MULTI TAB THAT NEEDS A LOT OF FOCUSING AND SOMETIMES PEOPLE DONT PICK UP ON HOW HANDS ARE BEING PLAYED... BETTING PATTERNS ETC... PERSONALLY WHEN IM ON A DOWNER I JUST TAKE A BREAK FROM THE SITE THAT IM ON... AND MAY NOT PLAY FOR A FEW DAYS OR SO....LITTLE THINGS CAN GET U UNFOCUCED LIKE THE WIFE NAGGING OR THE PHONE GOING ETC.. I DONT KNOW WHAT UR CIRCUMSTANCES ARE BUT I SOMETIMES LOSE SLIGHT CONCENTRATION AND MAKE SILLY "HERO"CALLS THAT I KNOW IM BEAT IN BUT JUST WANT TO HAVE A LOOK!! HOWEVER WHEN I KNOW IM GOING INTO A BIG MTT OR SUMTHING... I DONT MULTITAB AND SOLELY CONCENTRATE ON THAT ONE GAME... AND AS PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED LOOK AT UR HAND RANGES... POSSY AND MAYBE UR STYLE... I KNOW IVE PLAYED A FEW GAMES BEFORE AGAINST U AND U ALWAYS GIVE AS GOOD AS U GET... SO THE RUN WILL SOON CHANGE... FOR THE RECORD IM ON A SHOCKER AS WELL... GL MATE C U AT THE TABS;-)

• edited August 2009

Being on a downswing at the moment, I was ready to pull the plug on sky poker and move elsewhere, however,
    after 5 days thought and reflection, I have shaken off the deep feelings of resentment I had and have come to the following conclusions and advice for anyone else feeling the same.

Tell yourself that you actually like bad beats!!  Sounds silly, yes, but ultimately it means you pushed your chips over the line whilst you were a massive favourite. For every 15 times i get runner runner full house beating my straight, it must mean 85 times i got his chips. Remember you do not know how many times people muck on the river because they have missed their 3 outers.

Take a week or two away from the tables. Like most of us, bad beats put us on tilt. This is more dangerous than any other style of play. Not only are you playing against 5 others but also now playing against
    yourself. Dont chase losses, you'll only be throwing good money away. Wait until you are more focussed.

Tell yourself you have given bad beats as well as receiving them. Can anyone genuinly say they have never pushed with hands like jacks or queens to be found running into aces and outdrawing them? Not many i would wager. Also has anyone let in the big blind too cheaply with their monster hand only to be outdrawn?  Delicate balance this risk/reward thing.

Let bankroll management be your God, never play with more than 5% at any one time and if necessary drop down a level or reduce your games to 2.5% of your bankroll. Scared money never wins. If you are lucky enough to be in profit over your playing career, withdraw your original investment and only leave your profit in your account. Theres no better feeling than freerolling with other peoples money. And if you are really lucky (or good enough) to stay in profit after each month or so make a small withdrawl to treat yourself. Doesnt need to be big, just something to keep or look back on so you can see a physical return for your time and (sometimes) anguish.

Most of all, never play in the wrong frame of mind, when ill (i know from experience, after being off work ill I thought it would be the best time to get a few extra hours in, trust me, setting fire to five pound notes would be more pleasurable and the money probably would last longer!)  when tired or worst of all drunk. Being on the wrong end of alchohol has cost me many cashes over the years.

• edited August 2009
    Being on a downswing at the moment, I was ready to pull the plug on sky poker and move elsewhere, however, after 5 days thought and reflection, I have shaken off the deep feelings of resentment I had and have come to the following conclusions and advice for anyone else feeling the same. Tell yourself that you actually like bad beats!!  Sounds silly, yes, but ultimately it means you pushed your chips over the line whilst you were a massive favourite. For every 15 times i get runner runner full house beating my straight, it must mean 85 times i got his chips. Remember you do not know how many times people muck on the river because they have missed their 3 outers. Take a week or two away from the tables. Like most of us, bad beats put us on tilt. This is more dangerous than any other style of play. Not only are you playing against 5 others but also now playing against yourself. Dont chase losses, you'll only be throwing good money away. Wait until you are more focussed. Tell yourself you have given bad beats as well as receiving them. Can anyone genuinly say they have pushed with hands like jacks or queens to be found running into aces and outdrawing them? Not many i would wager. Also has anyone let in the big blind too cheaply with their monster hand only to be outdrawn?  Delicate balance this risk/reward thing. Let bankroll management be your God, never play with more than 5% at any one time and if necessary drop down a level or reduce your games to 2.5% of your bankroll. Scared money never wins. If you are lucky enough to be in profit over your playing career, withdraw your original investment and only leave your profit in your account. Theres no better feeling than freerolling with other peoples money. And if you are really lucky (or good enough) to stay in profit after each month or so make a small withdrawl to treat yourself. Doesnt need to be big, just something to keep or look back on so you can see a physical return for your time and (sometimes) anguish. Most of all, never play in the wrong frame of mind, when ill (i know from experience, after being off work ill I thought it would be the best time to get a few extra hours in, trust me, setting fire to five pound notes would be more pleasurable and the money probably would last longer!)  when tired or worst of all drunk. Being on the wrong end of alchohol has cost me many cashes over the years.  
    Posted by Chhas
    Excellent post, very well put.  The section I have highlighted above is arguably the most sensible advice I have seen on the forum.

All the best

Restormel
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: What's the best way to get out of a downswing? : Excellent post, very well put.  The section I have highlighted above is arguably the most sensible advice I have seen on the forum. All the best Restormel
    Posted by RESTORMEL
    Thanks mate,

One other point i forgot to mention about bad beats.....

Many posts on here i have seen keep mentioning how they get bad beats but dont give out as many as they receive, well that just shows a good poker strategy and sense. If you play bad cards you will give bad beats, simple as. If you dont play bad cards you will not give out as many bad beats. I wish i could find the players that give loads of bad beats as long term, they will ultimately be losing players.
  • edited August 2009
    Yes spot on Chhas, if your giving more bad beats than you take then your playin baaaaaad lol