You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Channing the Chopper

edited December 2015 in Poker Chat

Neil Channing played the 2 day, £300 entry 6 Max at the GUKPT Grand Final festival at The Vic this week.

After a very long battle, he chopped it heads up with Mark Banin, Mark taking slightly more to reflect chip stacks. Think Neil got around £9,000.

Marv. 

YBA.

etc.  

Comments

• edited November 2015

excellent.  wp neil.

• edited November 2015

Was quite interested to se they did business.

Amongst many of the young guns, there's almost a stigma to "chops".

"I don't do business, I go for the win" is the mantra.

However, saying it is one thing, doing it is another, & many have never been in that spot for decent money, & when it comes to it, they are happy to cut a deal.

What would you do, if, say, you were even in chips, & your opponent was pretty handy, assuming a sensible deal was tabled, & you lock up, say, an extra £3,000 over 2nd place?

The figures don't really matter though - are you for or against doing a bit of business in these spots? 

Ambo is busy this week, but I'd be very interested in his view when time permits.
  • edited November 2015
    Ive split £120 
    £80 £40 not in my favour .
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Channing the Chopper:
    Neil Channing played the 2 day, £300 entry 6 Max at the GUKPT Grand Final festival at The Vic this week.   After a very long battle, he chopped it heads up with Mark Banin, Mark taking slightly more to reflect chip stacks. Think Neil got around £9,000. Marv.  YBA. etc.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Well done mark banin!..nice to see he is still at it..
  • edited November 2015
    WP Neil!

For me it depends on how steep the jumps are, how much the money means to me,  how good my opponent is and how deep stacked we are. Definately not against it in principle, and have dealt a few times both online and live.

the 2 main scenarios i would deal in are:

1. the money doesnt mean that much, there is alot of play left, the other player/s are at least decent.

2. The monet is significant and there isnt much play left

Id also deal regardless if any of the above if i felt i was getting more than i felt my EV is for playing it out. Its pretty common for regs to  seek a deal online if they mid session... playing heads up for decent money whilst playing 10 other tables isnt ideal.

having said all that, you cant beat the rush lasting to HU in a tournament, then battling it out for a good chunk of change and the title.

• edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing the Chopper:
    Was quite interested to se they did business. Amongst many of the young guns, there's almost a stigma to "chops". "I don't do business, I go for the win " is the mantra. However, saying it is one thing, doing it is another, & many have never been in that spot for decent money, & when it comes to it, they are happy to cut a deal.   What would you do, if, say, you were even in chips, & your opponent was pretty handy, assuming a sensible deal was tabled, & you lock up, say, an extra £3,000 over 2nd place? The figures don't really matter though - are you for or against doing a bit of business in these spots?  Ambo is busy this week, but I'd be very interested in his view when time permits.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Firstly, wp Neil. 

I was going to say I dont know if there is amongst the young guns...then realised I am getting on a bit now so not considered a young gun!

I have dealt a few times live and online and refused deals and been refused when looking to deal. 

If it isnt that deep or if opponent is decent then it makes sense to take the deal a lot of the time. Also if I am playing online and have a lot of tables then doing a deal is good if opponents are reasonable. 

In some circumstances you can get really good deals too. I have seen players manage to get more than 1st place was paying where 1 player has a monster stack and the others are low stacked with similar stacks. They locked a decent amount more so agreed to it. 

• edited November 2015

The replies all make sense, or they do to me.

I just find it jars a little when folks say "I NEVER DO BUSINESS, I GO FOR THE WIN".

Because, in real life, it is rarely that simple - sometimes it makes sense to do business, sometimes not.

And to my mind, anyone who says they will never chop, deal, or do business, is not really paying attention, it's just bravado.

If the circumstances are right, fine, do it. If they are not, don't. 

Saying "never" just makes no sense.

• edited November 2015
    it's funny that you say young guns have that mantra, I thought it was more an old guy thing. You know, "this is how it used to be, and this is how it's gonaa go down ok" kinda the same thing with running it twice, too. 
  • edited November 2015
    The replies all make sense, or they do to me. I just find it jars a little when folks say "I NEVER DO BUSINESS, I GO FOR THE WIN". Because, in real life, it is rarely that simple - sometimes it makes sense to do business, sometimes not.   And to my mind, anyone who says they will never chop, deal, or do business, is not really paying attention, it's just bravado.   If the circumstances are right, fine, do it. If they are not, don't.  Saying "never" just makes no sense.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think the ones who say that rarely get that deep. Also I play for the win is an excuse for bad ICM decisions a lot of the time. 

A few years back I managed a deal about 7 handed for $9k with $9.5k ftw when I had a monster stack and they agreed as they were getting a lot more than they would get if they were out next. They wanted to deal so I went with a big number to get negotiated down and they snap accepted. Getting nearly the same as ftw without all that variance means you have to accept. While winning a tournament is a great feeling, we are playing for the money so if its a good deal you should go for it. 
  • edited November 2015
    Just curious  how would you chop when playing online when the payouts are automatic 
  • edited November 2015
    Just curious  how would you chop when playing online when the payouts are automatic 
    Posted by weecheez1
    On some other sites there is a deal button. You click this, when everyone has you can negotiate the prizepool payouts. Sometimes a set amount has to be kept for the winner. 
  • edited November 2015
    it's funny that you say young guns have that mantra, I thought it was more an old guy thing. You know, "this is how it used to be, and this is how it's gonaa go down ok" kinda the same thing with running it twice, too. 
    Posted by percival09
    You may be right, but the point remains the same. And you are forgetting one thing - everyone (bar Dollie & Andrew1947) are "young guns" to me.

In Live Poker, in Vegas, I run it twice when it suits me, though I'd prefer that option not to exist.

• edited November 2015
    In Response to Channing the Chopper:
    Neil Channing played the 2 day, £300 entry 6 Max at the GUKPT Grand Final festival at The Vic this week.   After a very long battle, he chopped it heads up with Mark Banin, Mark taking slightly more to reflect chip stacks. Think Neil got around £9,000. Marv.  YBA. etc.    
    Posted by Tikay10

Yes, very good Neil.

This is the second time this year I've had a half decent result which you've immediately trumped with a far bigger win.

Thanks for raining on my parade.

That said, I'm beginning to think I'm your lucky charm. If I win, you win. Let's discuss a commission fee...
  • edited November 2015
    WP Neil

Mark Banin brings back some memories.

Probably my only poker claim to fame is beating Mark Banin in a SNG on telly and being described as his nemesis in the commentary. 
  • edited November 2015
    Dear Mr. Channing.
    Well done.
    Next week we are having a player driven type of PLO8 promotion. We'd be chuffed if you made a guest appearance one night.
    Thanks in advance.

ps. If Mrs Channing won't let you have a tenner pocket money, I'll paypal you it on the QT, no worries.
  • edited November 2015
    WP Neil Mark Banin brings back some memories. Probably my only poker claim to fame is beating Mark Banin in a SNG on telly and being described as his nemesis in the commentary. 
    Posted by Phantom66
    True story. The last time I saw Mark Banin was about 18 months ago and we had a conversation whilst he sat in a jacuzzi with a lady.

• edited November 2015
    WP Neil Mark Banin brings back some memories. Probably my only poker claim to fame is beating Mark Banin in a SNG on telly and being described as his nemesis in the commentary. 
    Posted by Phantom66
    Hoofy, stanters,scotty, Johan haren to name a few,them were the days
  • edited November 2015
    Posted by Phantom66

Mark Banin = My first poker hero

nice one centurion
  • edited November 2015

PS ...  Ron was the Chopper
  • edited November 2015
    If the money is life changing, or the chop is very obviously +ev for me would be the only time id actively seek a chop, mainly coz playing Ft's is the most fun part of poker in my opinion. 
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing the Chopper : Hoofy, stanters,scotty, Johan haren to name a few,them were the days
    Posted by degenmuch
    Hoofhearted the original TV tart.

• edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing the Chopper : Hoofy, stanters,scotty, Johan haren to name a few,them were the days
    Posted by degenmuch
    Crikey, some Poker Night Live blasts from the past there.

You must have been playing poker 10 years or more to remember them?

• edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing the Chopper : Hoofhearted the original TV tart.
    Posted by Phantom66
    That name always generated some childish giggles from the PNL Presenters.  
  • edited December 2015

Thanks for the kind words guys.

When we were 4-handed the prizes were £11,600...£7500...£3600 and £2500 (later two are vague recollections). The other two guys were Chaz Chattha and a fella called Will Davies. Chaz was a bit on tilt after losing a couple of pots to Mark and he was kind of grumbling under his breath about how bad Mark was and how it was typical that bad players get lucky (pros do that stuff too you know although it's clearly very bad -ev). Will won a GUKPT in main recently and was clearly playing with confidence and not making mistakes. My feeling was neither of them would want to chop and the stacks were such that it wasn't hugely likely (Chaz was short). Anyway, I was enjoying myself and thought I had a good shot even though Mark had half the chips.

Will and Chaz found AK and AQ in the blinds and Chaz was left with one ante. I got it totally wrong thinking Will was using this spot to make a move on a blind man and I 3-bet shoved 6h7h which was snap called by Will and his QQ. I made a straight and will was now very short.

Will managed to double up and played a short stack well and I used the opportunity to take advantage of Mark who shouldn't be losing big pots to me when he can focus on beating Will and guaranteeing at least 2nd. I took the chip lead. Mark then found a hand to bust will and I was 60/40 down heads-up.

It was now 11pm. We had played from 7.45pm to 3am on day 1 and now we had played 9 hours on day 2. It was my plan to play the main the next day and I was going to have to get up early as I had some stuff to do on the NFL before I got to leave home plus I'd arranged to meet someone at 10am.

I think Mark thought I had his number. I'd been winning all the pots between us. He offered a deal.

The maths said he would get £10,000 and I would get £9,000.

These figures assume we are both equal in skill. I actually think I was playing a bit better than him and he might say if we asked him that I had an edge but I was getting tired and I didn't fancy a three hour heads up battle. We did the deal and did a one hand PLO flip for the trophy which I'd already told him he ought to take (as the chip leader). He won the flip.

I was home by midnight and got my sleep.
  • edited December 2015
    vwd vwp mr ambo please feel free to join rainman & the gang for the 220@220 again sometime you know as allways when you play you are very welcome ty
  • edited December 2015

I was thinking about this when talking to James Akenhead. He was just 3rd in the GUKPT main event for £72,000, the 2nd was around £125,000 and the winner got £170,000. When it comes to those sort of amounts then just winning that JJ vs AK or not getting dealt AQ when the other guy has AK or getting dealt AQ but hitting the queen is massive.

To an extent we just play tournaments to try and put us into the position where we can have a chance to win the big money and if we are lucky on the day and win the BIG 60/40 or 50/50 then that can be the difference. Obviously if you play 100+ live events a year you'll probably get into this spot a dozen or so times and hopefully, if you are a decent player, you'll win a few and lose a few and it'll even out. The problem is that we don't really live long enough for these big ones to even out.

James has played a few GUKPTs this year and this was much bigger than the ones at Reading or Thanet and therefore it was a good one to win your showdowns in. He has obviously run quite well in his lifetime in terms of getting his luck on the right days with the Poker Million and the WSOP November 9 but he did say to me he was only playing for the win when I told him 4-handed that chopping meant they all got £100k+.

I remember the Irish Open (just about remember it) and thinking that the difference between 800k and 400k was a stupid amount of money to play for. At the time though I held a 2/1 chip edge and I felt that 400k was not a bad days work and for now I'd just try to win and if I lost I'd have to console myself with about 10 years wages coming my way. I did consider that if we'd got even I might chop though.

I definitely have been one to play for the win often and I usually only chop if the money is not life changing, (a side event where I think the other player is good and I want to go and do something else), where I'm tired and don't feel like I'm playing my best, (easily happens at the end of a long event), where the other person is at least as good as me, (if I think we are equal then it is best to chop as it eases variance), and if I think they are offering too much.

I did turn down a deal to chop heads-up from Marty Smyth in one of those TV things...it was $250k to win and $100k for 2nd and I thought the fact he was offering might mean I could pressure him heads-up. It was only later I appreciated what a great player and a great guy he is. During the break when we were playing I asked him if he was playing the $10k PLO in Vegas at the WSOP. He said he was spending the money on his weeding. I bought 22% on the spot for $2500 and he went and won it for $900,000. If we had chopped we may never have had that conversation.

I do like the fact that tournaments are top-heavy but you can chop if you like. Flattening out the pay-outs is like forcing everyone to chop before we even start playing. The chop gives us a chance to use our poker skills.
  • edited December 2015
    Love these story's I think deep down these are the situations most of us dream about more tales please
  • edited December 2015
     I was thinking about this when talking to James Akenhead. He was just 3rd in the GUKPT main event for £72,000, the 2nd was around £125,000 and the winner got £170,000. When it comes to those sort of amounts then just winning that JJ vs AK or not getting dealt AQ when the other guy has AK or getting dealt AQ but hitting the queen is massive.  To an extent we just play tournaments to try and put us into the position where we can have a chance to win the big money and if we are lucky on the day and win the BIG 60/40 or 50/50 then that can be the difference. Obviously if you play 100+ live events a year you'll probably get into this spot a dozen or so times and hopefully, if you are a decent player, you'll win a few and lose a few and it'll even out. The problem is that we don't really live long enough for these big ones to even out.  James has played a few GUKPTs this year and this was much bigger than the ones at Reading or Thanet and therefore it was a good one to win your showdowns in. He has obviously run quite well in his lifetime in terms of getting his luck on the right days with the Poker Million and the WSOP November 9 but he did say to me he was only playing for the win when I told him 4-handed that chopping meant they all got £100k+.  I remember the Irish Open (just about remember it) and thinking that the difference between 800k and 400k was a stupid amount of money to play for. At the time though I held a 2/1 chip edge and I felt that 400k was not a bad days work and for now I'd just try to win and if I lost I'd have to console myself with about 10 years wages coming my way. I did consider that if we'd got even I might chop though.  I definitely have been one to play for the win often and I usually only chop if the money is not life changing, (a side event where I think the other player is good and I want to go and do something else), where I'm tired and don't feel like I'm playing my best, (easily happens at the end of a long event), where the other person is at least as good as me, (if I think we are equal then it is best to chop as it eases variance), and if I think they are offering too much.  I did turn down a deal to chop heads-up from Marty Smyth in one of those TV things...it was $250k to win and $100k for 2nd and I thought the fact he was offering might mean I could pressure him heads-up. It was only later I appreciated what a great player and a great guy he is. During the break when we were playing I asked him if he was playing the $10k PLO in Vegas at the WSOP. He said he was spending the money on his weeding. I bought 22% on the spot for $2500 and he went and won it for $900,000. If we had chopped we may never have had that conversation.  I do like the fact that tournaments are top-heavy but you can chop if you like. Flattening out the pay-outs is like forcing everyone to chop before we even start playing. The chop gives us a chance to use our poker skills.
    Posted by NChanning
    Must have a big, high maintenance garden.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing the Chopper : Crikey, some Poker Night Live blasts from the past there. You must have been playing poker 10 years or more to remember them?  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sorry for the tardy reply,
    Yeah I have although have took time away a couple of times due real life issues and ill health, I still talk via Skype on occasion to a few of them, Names you will probs remember ken SNAPPIT golden jaguar buffybegood crespo alas most have moved onto other things and have a real life rather than a virtual one,
     regards
    DM
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing the Chopper : Hoofhearted the original TV tart.
    Posted by Phantom66
    HEHE made me giggle mostly because I have read that sentence on another forum before
    Thanks for that hehe

regards
    DM