You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live Omaha

edited January 2016 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all,

I've been debating posting this hand on here for a while, and it's still stuck in my head after a month, so it would be good to get some thoughts on how it was played.

I'm sat on a pretty aggressive $1-3 Omaha game, with a pretty consistent $10 button straddle. I'm $400 up, and we've just finished the last hand of the night. The dealer deals another, and no one complains.

I'm on the button, and straddle $10, before being dealt JhJc10h6h. I have around $800 behind.

Super aggressive SB snap raises to $30.

3 callers, and I'm last to act. $20 to call and it seems like an easy decision, although I'm thinking it may have been an idea to get away here.

Flop: 9h8c4c

SB snap pots - $150

2 callers, meaning there's $600 in the pot.

I call. Not sure if this is right, as I wouldn't really like to hit the set and I'm worried about the clubs. 

Turn: Qh

Perfect card for me. I now have the nut straight, third nut flush draw and an up and down straight flush draw.

SB - pot. He easily has it covered.

One guy gets his remaining $500 in.

I'm sat with little over $600, and have no choice at this point... (Should I just be snapping here?)

It's in.

I'm making the assumption that I'm up against a Set, a club flush draw, a stronger hearts flush draw and potentially the same hand as me (despite having one of the other Js as a blocker).

Would you have done anything differently?

Should I be wary of it being the last hand of the night? (Not for superstitious reasons, just because I won't have chance to try and get it back if I lose, and can lock up a pretty decent profit?).

All thoughts welcome.

Comments

• edited November 2015
    chuck it pre...cards is cruel game your only ever losing that last hand :-D
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Live Omaha:
    chuck it pre...cards is cruel game your only ever losing that last hand :-D
    Posted by mrdavies
    Agreed.

Sigh.
  • edited November 2015
    yep

fold pre

but as played ul

i assume

• edited December 2015
    Never ever EVER folding pre-flop. If I was, I certainly wouldn't be straddling! 

Flop is very close - I probably talk myself into a call holding a back door flush draw but it probably doesn't make that much difference. 

Turn isn't even a decision - couldn't get my chips in quick enough :)
  • edited December 2015
    Defo not folding pre, $20 more to win a pot of $150? very nice odds.

Only decision here is the flop pretty tough one, theres an argument for folding, calling or even repotting (id probably do this, but thats why i shuck at omaha) 

Turn just plays itself, all in and pray.
  • edited December 2015
    Just sent you a PM JP - you are one funny man! 
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Live Omaha:
    Defo not folding pre, $20 more to win a pot of $150? very nice odds. Only decision here is the flop pretty tough one, theres an argument for folding, calling or even repotting (id probably do this, but thats why i shuck at omaha)  Turn just plays itself, all in and pray.
    Posted by alex1229
    Getting nice odds isn't a reason alone to call in Omaha but the hand has enough nut hand potential & we have position to make it a clear call. If we had Kd9s7s2c for example it would be a clear fold.

Repotting flop is likely a big mistake - we're never pushing an equity edge and we just don't have enough fold equity to make it +ev - let alone more +ev than just calling and hoping to bink a turn IP. Think the difference between playing IP and OOP can be seen here because OOP I'm pretty sure folding flop would be the best play where as I think calling IP is the best.
  • edited January 2016
    Played it only way you could pal, you shouldn't be folding the button here with this hand, plays easily enough post flop. Can't fold for one on the flop and turn decision is just self explanatory. Guess you lost the pot, we've all been there, it sucks but played itself, no mistakes. UL.