You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

did i do wrong bet

edited December 2015 in The Poker Clinic
i am playing in 20no 2 table sit&go. top 3 paid. start with 12000 chips blinds up every 18 mins. start blinds 100, 200. blinds now at 200 ,400. cut off calls for 400 she is a solid player button folds sb calls i check in bb with9 j clubs. flop is  jh  6s  5h .sb checks i check cut off bets 400, sb folds i 3 bet to 1800, cut off thinks a bit then calls. turn is a js. i have 7,000 pot is 4800, so i shove. cut off thinks a while then calls with j k. no help on river i lose and out.the reason for my shove was i thought she had something like a 10 or 9 h,, k qh and i was in front,,,,can anybody advise me on another way i could have played it please

phibaoptic

Comments

• edited December 2015
    In Response to did i do wrong bet:
    i am playing in 20no 2 table sit&go. top 3 paid. start with 12000 chips blinds up every 18 mins. start blinds 100, 200. blinds now at 200 ,400. cut off calls for 400 she is a solid player button folds sb calls i check in bb with9 j clubs. flop is  jh  6s  5h .sb checks i check cut off bets 400, sb folds i 3 bet to 1800, cut off thinks a bit then calls. turn is a js. i have 7,000 pot is 4800, so i shove. cut off thinks a while then calls with j k. no help on river i lose and out.the reason for my shove was i thought she had something like a 10 or 9 h,, k qh and i was in front,,,,can anybody advise me on another way i could have played it please  phibaoptic
    Posted by phibaoptic
    I'm far from being the best person to offer advice, and I'm sure more will come along from wiser players than me, but I'll start us off.

I don't really understand your check raise on the flop, in a sense that I don't think you're holding a strong enough hand to justify the raise.

Not doing this would leave you with two options; a) checking to her, then calling her bet, or b) Being the aggressor, and betting.

I'd lean heavily towards betting here, as it makes it easier to pass to a raise with your weak(ish) Jack.

On the turn, it's a lot more difficult, but I think you have too many chips to shove in this spot. You still have enough chips to bet ~half pot, and pass to a raise, leaving you with a 10BB stack, and a better spot to double up.

It is pretty unlucky though. There's not much worse than being out-kicked with trips!
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: did i do wrong bet:
    In Response to did i do wrong bet : I'm far from being the best person to offer advice, and I'm sure more will come along from wiser players than me, but I'll start us off. I don't really understand your check raise on the flop, in a sense that I don't think you're holding a strong enough hand to justify the raise. Not doing this would leave you with two options; a) checking to her, then calling her bet, or b) Being the aggressor, and betting. I'd lean heavily towards betting here, as it makes it easier to pass to a raise with your weak(ish) Jack. On the turn, it's a lot more difficult, but I think you have too many chips to shove in this spot. You still have enough chips to bet ~half pot, and pass to a raise, leaving you with a 10BB stack, and a better spot to double up. It is pretty unlucky though. There's not much worse than being out-kicked with trips!
    Posted by Sky_JP
    ty for your responce
  • edited December 2015
    Ignoring past action let's take it from here:

You have J9 (no bet, just checked)

Board is J 6 5 rainbow

Turn J

You did the right thing betting flop, almost no draws coming good, especially not if someone called. If they call flop (400 bet) I'm thinking draw or pair. When J flops I would think it is Christmas but why did they call? Check - if they bet they are defending (likely) if they check they are hoping for draw or playing a dangerous game trapping you (if you've a draw or pair/mor).

If you make a strong bet, say half pot oop, and they call or shove I'd think about a set or higher trips (if I'd a bottom pair set I'd have re raised flop bet by you). 

End of day you got unlucky but maybe looking at the players' past play would have told you how they bet big hands and don't be afraid to lose chips betting with a hand.