You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

FAO Sky - UKOPS High Roller

edited December 2015 in Poker Chat
In Response to Re: FAO Sky - UKOPS High Roller:
sats for cash how do you sleep at night?
Posted by bearlyther
mmmm it does come across like that
paul why not play sats when you know you can deffo play the HR

Comments

• edited December 2015
    Could we please have this opened for registration asap/now please? I was going to play the £115 tonight but won't be playing them while reg for the HR isn't open.

I wanna play sats for it, and I'd be doing it with the intention of playing the event... BUT it's a month away and I dunno about other people but personally I'm just not gonna try to satellite into a £530 event that I'm not 100% that I will be free to play. This is especially true over xmas when it's a busy time for everyone, people don't know if they're going to be visiting family on X day yet etc. so I don't wanna commit to potentially blinding out of a £530 comp.

I know it's designed to make sure the seats won do play the event but it HAS to have an adverse effect on runners for the satellites imo. It's a balancing act I guess between getting the most runners in the sats and getting bums on seats in the HR, I dunno where the 'line' is but I'd imagine (from a non-selfish POV) opening reg has to be better. The tiny minority of people that play the sats purely for £££ won't win seats that often anyway so are more often than not just increasing the prizepool/number of seats for others that will play.

Fwiw, every other UKOPS main has the lobby open to reg now.

TIA
  • edited December 2015
    Agree with this christmas is a very busy time of year for a lot of people.  So its impossible for me to know what il be doing on that date 3 weeks in advance.

Also agree that it would be more beneficial for sky if they allowed people to pre reg in advance as people wouldnt be put off.  I dont feel comfertable essentially investing £530 into a tournament in the middle of christmas when i have no idea what il be doing that night and i know a lot of others feel the same.

So i agree with what paul says and wont be playing these unless its changed.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - UKOPS High Roller : mmmm it does come across like that paul why not play sats when you know you can deffo play the HR
    Posted by stokefc

my 1st post was a windup!  I agree with pauls views on this issue.

• edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - UKOPS High Roller : my 1st post was a windup!  I agree with pauls views on this issue.
    Posted by bearlyther
    I guessed it was m8 with you being a big hitter yourself and theres nowt wrong with that veiw and thers nothing in the rules that says otherwise,its the christmas thing with me,why not say i want to win more monies by playing sats for a seat ive already got
  • edited December 2015
    might be better taking £530 sat cash, could get your friends some great presents
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - UKOPS High Roller : I guessed it was m8 with you being a big hitter yourself and theres nowt wrong with that veiw and thers nothing in the rules that says otherwise,its the christmas thing with me,why not say i want to win more monies by playing sats for a seat ive already got
    Posted by stokefc
    Im not a bit hitter m8 and im in the same position as everyone else that plays them.  The idea i have is that tournament tokens should be introduced this is what happens on a lot of other sites.  So for example you win the sat into the £530 but happen not to be able to play it that night as its weeks in advance  so you get tournament tokens which can be used in a future date or for other ukops events.
  • edited December 2015
    Well with two good players not playing them now I am interested and will give them a shot :)

Every cloud and all that
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - UKOPS High Roller : I guessed it was m8 with you being a big hitter yourself and theres nowt wrong with that veiw and thers nothing in the rules that says otherwise,its the christmas thing with me,why not say i want to win more monies by playing sats for a seat ive already got
    Posted by stokefc
    I haven't got a seat. I've said in the OP, I'm not trying to play the sats for £££, I want to win a seat for the actual event which I'm very likely to be able to play.

At the best of times I can't be sure if I'll be free on X date 3-4 weeks in advance but especially when it's bang in the middle of the festive period, when I tend to do a lot of travelling to see family etc. then there's a decent chance I might not be able to play. 

It's not like there's a huge window to qualify, atm there's 1 satellite per week and only like 3-4 weeks til the event so I'd like to get trying ASAP cos I certainly can't afford to BI direct but I'm not gonna spend multiple £115s trying to win entry to a £530 comp when there's a half decent chance I can't even play it.

It wouldn't be an issue tbf if there was tournament tokens, then Sky can guarantee I spend it on the site but I know I can use it when I'm actually available to play (granted £530s dont happen every week).

• edited December 2015
    Surely an easy way to make everyone happy is allow everyone the option to take the money once for their sat. But only allow that to happen once per event. 
  • edited December 2015
    I also think the structure needs to be looked at for the £115 sat into the highroller.

In the ukpc £52 sat the structure is 3000 chips and 10 minute blinds
    In the ukops £115 semi the structure is 2000 chips and 7 minute blinds

Sky are obviously entitled to choose whatever structure they feel is best for it but it just feels a bit random having a worse structure for a higher buyin satelite and something which needs looked into imo.

Either that or why arnt both of the sats 7 minute blinds?  If sky think 7 minute blinds is best thats fine but why have it for 1 and not the other?
  • edited December 2015
    Surely an easy way to make everyone happy is allow everyone the option to take the money once for their sat. But only allow that to happen once per event. 
    Posted by jordz16
    Would this not lead to massive overlay if a lot of people took the money or tokens 
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - UKOPS High Roller : Would this not lead to massive overlay if a lot of people took the money or tokens 
    Posted by weecheez1
    The flipside is less people playing the sats so less seats/overlay where seats are guaranteed. 
  • edited December 2015

I'll ask the question, but bear with them please, a lot of stuff on the desk right now.

Personally, when I see threads like this, I always take the view that those that post are really posting from self-interest. And that applies to all three sides of the debate, so I discount "you should do it, its good for the business" generally.

The three sides?

1)

The Big Boys. They want the right to play sats for cash, usually the better-rolled players, to farm them. Nothing wrong with that, of course. In an ideal world, unless Sky have some objection in principle which I'm not aware of, they'd have Tournament Tokens. Don't disagree. Priorities, priorities, priorities. What is the payback, in context of the overall Business? Extremely small, in context, at a guess. There is a payback though, yes.  

2)

The "fun guys". Prefer to say "fun" rather than "small" but you get my drift. They object to the bigger guys farming these, as they think it deprives them of a fair shot. Yup, correct. But without the bigger guys farming them, the liquidity would suffer badly, & so less seats would be on offer. Difficult equation to solve fairly. For sure, no farming would mean les seats available. Liquidity is key.

3)

The Business. In an ideal world, I assume they would rather people did not farm them for cash. But they also know - far better than any of you, or me - that without the satellite farmers, they could not get the liquidity, & offer as many seats. 

The sad thing is that the parties are rarely prepared to see all sides of a weirdly shaped triangle.

So all three sides have an angle, & a perfectly reasonable angle too.        

• edited December 2015
    I think it would be best for all parties if the first win you get a token for a £530 event so you can redeem it next ukops if you can't play this one and all future wins get cash. Would get more volume in the satellites this way, with more seats on offer everybody wins. I say this as someone who has no intentions of playing the high roller satellites.
    Nobody wants to waste £530 worth of seat if they have other engagements and many people don't have the luxury of having a free schedule
  • edited December 2015
    I think it would be best for all parties if the first win you get a token for a £530 event so you can redeem it next ukops if you can't play this one and all future wins get cash. Would get more volume in the satellites this way, with more seats on offer everybody wins. I say this as someone who has no intentions of playing the high roller satellites. Nobody wants to waste £530 worth of seat if they have other engagements and many people don't have the luxury of having a free schedule
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    That involves a ticket system which isn't going to happen anytime soon.
  • edited December 2015
    Following on from this.

When are the £115 UKOPS High Roller satellites?

I saw one Wednesday (too late to enter it), looked out for one tonight (Thurs) but couldn't see one.

Cheers,

Graham
  • edited December 2015
    There will be more High Roller satellites tomorrow and Tuesday.
  • edited December 2015
    There will be more High Roller satellites tomorrow and Tuesday.
    Posted by Sky_SamT
    Nice one Sam.

Any word on opening registration for the high roller? Or is it possible for these sats to just issue £530 tokens? I know tokens aint commonplace on Sky but they have been used before for certain promos etc havent they?
  • edited December 2015
    why has entry to the ukops £110 main now also been closed but the rest remain open? Surly most people have the filters set as tournaments as reg only.  Therefore a lot of people will look at the lobby and not even know that the tournament is on unless there a regular reader on the forum and such.
  • edited December 2015
    I also think the structure needs to be looked at for the £115 sat into the highroller. In the ukpc £52 sat the structure is 3000 chips and 10 minute blinds In the ukops £115 semi the structure is 2000 chips and 7 minute blinds Sky are obviously entitled to choose whatever structure they feel is best for it but it just feels a bit random having a worse structure for a higher buyin satelite and something which needs looked into imo. Either that or why arnt both of the sats 7 minute blinds?  If sky think 7 minute blinds is best thats fine but why have it for 1 and not the other?
    Posted by bearlyther
    Also just to add to this the £24 sat tonight had 3000 chips and 7 minute blinds and the £115 sat is 2000 chips and 7 minute blinds.
  • edited December 2015
    why has entry to the ukops £110 main now also been closed but the rest remain open? Surly most people have the filters set as tournaments as reg only.  Therefore a lot of people will look at the lobby and not even know that the tournament is on unless there a regular reader on the forum and such.
    Posted by bearlyther
    It's not just the Main, it's also the UKOPS 1 & the High Roller.

I don't know if that's by design or accident, it could be either. If it's been done deliberately, there'll be a good reason.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

• edited December 2015

Today's Winter Giveaway prizes (£5,000 worth of UKOPS Seats) includes...

4 x £530 High Roller Seats

16 x £110 UKOPS Main Event seats