You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Making the jump from small to big

edited December 2015 in Poker Chat
Been playing on Sky for a while now, doing Ok' ish
Built up a reasonable Bankroll
Got a ROI of 19%
ITM 44%
Been playing mainly low satkes £2 / £5 MTT (Mostly Bounty Hunter)
Stuggling to make the jump to Main Event Tournaments, finding a lot of the players even more randon / loose than on the small buy in MTT's.
Could be just me ?
Anybody elses experience & feedback would be appreciated
Thanks

Comments

• edited December 2015
    Firstly well done on the impressive results.. I think the ITM must be a little off as cashing in 44% is unheard of, even 20% would be amazing. firstly I would ask how many main events have you played? I think you would need to have played about 50 before you can have a very rough idea of how you are getting on. My 2 main pieces of advice would be to play the exact same way you would in the smaller MTT's and ignore the money up top, and also to post a few hands you have played into the poker clinic session for other people to look at, they way you can get other peoples opinions and it might improve your thinking process in certain situations. 

run well!
  • edited December 2015
    , start by trying to sat into mains not buy straight in as by the sounds of it your bankroll won't be enough to regularly play mains and can start playing bad as it will be scared money. Difference between mains/ £22+ and £5 mtts is in the later stages of the big ones you usually come up against regulars and great players un like £5 ones I find final tables a lot of the time on small ones full of people I've never seen. On a £22 tournament I just found myself sat on a final table with wacko90 and bearleyther which makes it tougher to ladder up and take them down. 
  • edited December 2015
    Also I see on sharkscope your itm is 43% is that all mtt on there or have you played sit and Gos or HU? Might help resetting your ss so you see your actual mtt stats by upgrading 
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Making the jump from small to big:
    Also I see on sharkscope your itm is 43% is that all mtt on there or have you played sit and Gos or HU? Might help resetting your ss so you see your actual mtt stats by upgrading 
    Posted by ALTiltYou
    you can change the search paramenters on the site to search for only scheduled Mtt's which he still has a very impressive ITM %
  • edited December 2015
    Thanks for the feedback
    I normally do try to satelite in to the main event which I have done a few times, and as RLT16 saaid my ITM is good for the MTT's I play.
    I just seem to find it hard to read the players in the £33 Bounty Hunter Main Events and I've no idea why. Still play my usual game bot only ITM once.
    As jordz 16 mentioned maybe I do need to play more games at that level, I've played more than a dozen.
    50 seems a lot, and I know obviosley there are better players. But I seem to get donk called more, with people respecting bets less and fishing.
    Don't think I need to change my game too much, I hope ? Maybe it is just pracice and getting notes on certain players
  • edited December 2015

hi man,

for 2015, in the 175 major mtts you've played, your are ITM 14%.  your ROI is not positive.

if i were to give some feedback on your figures, as you ask, i think you are generally doing the right thing already.  the tweaks would be to less aggro and more final table orientated, then be more aggro.  timing.

good luck.

• edited December 2015
    hi man, for 2015, in the 175 major mtts you've played, your are ITM 14%.  your ROI is not positive. if i were to give some feedback on your figures, as you ask, i think you are generally doing the right thing already.  the tweaks would be to less aggro and more final table orientated, then be more aggro.  timing. good luck.
    Posted by aussie09
    Aussie can you do the same for me 2015 and let me know what mine is as I cannot do it. Thanks
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Making the jump from small to big : Aussie can you do the same for me 2015 and let me know what mine is as I cannot do it. Thanks
    Posted by ALTiltYou
    pleasure mate...

you've played 60 major tournaments in 2015 and have cashed in 28%.  this is excellent, without doubt.  also good is your ROI which is 3%

• edited December 2015
    Hi aussie
    Thanks for the reply
    What are major MTT's ? I've only played the main event a few times.
    As mentioned i normally play small buy in MTT's
    Thanks
  • edited December 2015
    Thanks Aussie much appreciated. How do you find out, sign up to ss?
  • edited December 2015
    Hi aussie Thanks for the reply What are major MTT's ? I've only played the main event a few times. As mentioned i normally play small buy in MTT's Thanks
    Posted by fathenry
    hi henry

the major mtts are those with a guarantee of £500 or more.  there are 20 or so every day..  there have been 7,193 so far this year.  you've played in 175 of them.

• edited December 2015
    Thanks Aussie much appreciated. How do you find out, sign up to ss?
    Posted by ALTiltYou

hi alt,

updated daily, you can see here...

http://www.pokersuperhero.com/villaina.html

• edited December 2015
    Thanks
    But I don't get you figures
    Checked on Sharkscope for Scheduled tournaments Sky Poker
    Av ROI 30.9
    ITM 32.9
    How do you get your figures
    Thanks

• edited December 2015

hi henry

the results are for the major mtts you've played this year. 

you cashed in 25 of the 175 you've played, which is 14%

you've spent £1,159 in entry fees and returns of £987.  minus 15% ROI.

• edited December 2015
    Hi FatHenry. As Jordz said a 44% cash rate is very good- i would argue perhaps too good. Maybe your being too risk averse going for mincashes as opposed to winning mtt's, remember all the money is in the top spots. 
    There's so much variance in mtt's its hard to know if a certain stake is profitable for you without a good sample. with that in mind I would advise moving up to and being a winning player at £11 mtt's before going down the main event route.
    Gl at the tables
  • edited December 2015
    hi henry the results are for the 60 major ntts you've played this year.  you cashed in 25 of the 175 you've played, which is 14% you've spent £1,159 in entry fees and returns of £987.  minus 15% ROI.  
    Posted by aussie09
    I think you need to look at your figures ?
    I know I'm in profit
    Sharkscope shows profit
    Where on earth do you get you figures from ?
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Making the jump from small to big : I think you need to look at your figures ? I know I'm in profit Sharkscope shows profit Where on earth do you get you figures from ?
    Posted by fathenry
    He means in tournaments over£500 gaurenteed. If you reg £5 mtts most of them only hit 400 or lower. Obviously depending on the time,of day you play these. 
  • edited December 2015
    Hi FatHenry. As Jordz said a 44% cash rate is very good- i would argue perhaps too good. Maybe your being too risk averse going for mincashes as opposed to winning mtt's, remember all the money is in the top spots.  There's so much variance in mtt's its hard to know if a certain stake is profitable for you without a good sample. with that in mind I would advise moving up to and being a winning player at £11 mtt's before going down the main event route. Gl at the tables
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    Thanks
    I'll give the £11 MTT's a go, that may be the best route
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Making the jump from small to big : He means in tournaments over£500 gaurenteed. If you reg £5 mtts most of them only hit 400 or lower. Obviously depending on the time,of day you play these. 
    Posted by ALTiltYou
    Ok
    Like I said mostly Play £2 / £5 MTT's less than £500
    When I have played £30 MTT's I've satallited through for £1.44, I guess that might explain the difference
  • edited December 2015
    Firstly well done on the impressive results.. I think the ITM must be a little off as cashing in 44% is unheard of, even 20% would be amazing. firstly I would ask how many main events have you played? I think you would need to have played about 50 before you can have a very rough idea of how you are getting on. My 2 main pieces of advice would be to play the exact same way you would in the smaller MTT's and ignore the money up top, and also to post a few hands you have played into the poker clinic session for other people to look at, they way you can get other peoples opinions and it might improve your thinking process in certain situations.  run well!
    Posted by jordz16
    Hi.

Could you or Aussie09 who really understand these things help me. My ITM in 40.1% in a count of 3,946 games. I would appreciate if you could go through my stats and tell me what you think so I can try and improve areas of my game. For example, is a 40.1% ITM good stats wise or an indication im too passive? i.e. Dont 'go for the win' etc.

Honest assesment would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Making the jump from small to big : Hi. Could you or Aussie09 who really understand these things help me. My ITM in 40.1% in a count of 3,946 games. I would appreciate if you could go through my stats and tell me what you think so I can try and improve areas of my game. For example, is a 40.1% ITM good stats wise or an indication im too passive? i.e. Dont 'go for the win' etc. Honest assesment would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Posted by CraigSG1

hi craig,

i will have a look at things and will comment a bit later this morning.

• edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Making the jump from small to big : Hi. Could you or Aussie09 who really understand these things help me. My ITM in 40.1% in a count of 3,946 games. I would appreciate if you could go through my stats and tell me what you think so I can try and improve areas of my game. For example, is a 40.1% ITM good stats wise or an indication im too passive? i.e. Dont 'go for the win' etc. Honest assesment would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    I'm sure Aussie will give you some facts Craig, but what that highlighted part tells us is that stats are misleading - by any normal criteria of measurement, over a sensible sample size, you cannot be ITM in MTT's 40.1% of the time.

Your SS stats say

ITM - 40.1%

Middle/Late finishes (last 20% of the field) - 19.2%

So, on the face of it, those two stats are not reconcilable. They can't both be right by the criteria by which we would understand them. And in poker player speak, you simply can't be ITM 40% of the time.  

• edited December 2015

hi craig,

we did your Hero Card just recently  it is updated every day.  so for all of the 7,233 major tournaments this year, up to and including last night, you have the following results.

you have played 239
    won 2 (1%)
    cashed in 31, which means you are in the money (ITM) 13% of the time.
    you have 12 final tables (5%)
    bubbled once
    you have 60 top quarter finshes (25%)
    you have taken 326 heads which is 1.4 per game and is your highest ranking KPI
    you have an average points per game of 0.3
    you have an ROI of 24% from BI of £1,764

Sharkscope figures are not as focussed as my figures.  I like to look at the major games as this allows us to benchmark performance and to intepret them more accurately. 

SS figures could easily mislead you.  As, in fact, they have.

I see that your figures are good.  If I were to interpret the figures and tweak the way you make decisions in your play there are a couple of numbers that indicate an area where change might be fruitful.  Without spending another hour to investigate further I would say that you need to become more of a "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing"

Good luck.

Rob.

your Hero Card is here..  www.pokersuperhero.com/craigsg1.html

• edited December 2015
    hi craig, we did your Hero Card just recently  it is updated every day.  so for all of the 7,233 major tournaments this year, up to and including last night, you have the following results. you have played 239 won 2 (1%) cashed in 31, which means you are in the money (ITM) 13% of the time. you have 12 final tables (5%) bubbled once you have 60 top quarter finshes (25%) you have taken 326 heads which is 1.4 per game and is your highest ranking KPI you have an average points per game of 0.3 you have an ROI of 24% from BI of £1,764 Sharkscope figures are not as focussed as my figures.  I like to look at the major games as this allows us to benchmark performance and to intepret them more accurately.  SS figures could easily mislead you.  As, in fact, they have. I see that your figures are good.  If I were to interpret the figures and tweak the way you make decisions in your play there are a couple of numbers that indicate an area where change might be fruitful.  Without spending another hour to investigate further I would say that you need to become more of a "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" Good luck. Rob. you here card is here..  www.pokersuperhero.com/craigsg1.html
    Posted by aussie09

i did RicOrford's Hero Card earlier this year as he had asked.  The outcome was incredibly revealing.  You can see the posts in his thread.  The figures were extremely meaningful and lead to suggesting a tweak or two.  I haven't done the analysis but I am certain that Richard's last six months are very different.

• edited December 2015

Sharkscope counts you as being ITM if you take one or more head-prizes in a Bounty Hunter. Even if you bust before the money bubble. This explains why bounty regulars have seemingly impossible ITM percentages.

• edited December 2015

gosh.  that's ludricrous.

• edited December 2015
    gosh.  that's ludricrous.  
    Posted by aussie09
    Just out of interest, how does somebody got about getting one of these hero cards done?
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Making the jump from small to big : Just out of interest, how does somebody got about getting one of these hero cards done?
    Posted by Bowlwinner

hi bowl,

i have just received your email and will create your Hero Card on your own webpage at 10am.  i reckon it should be quite good from what i know of you.

regards
    rob

• edited December 2015
    Keep going Henry you will do it. Satting in is the best way to give experience. I've been lucky enough to sat into quite a few higher stakes games. I do ok and I hold my own against the bigger boys, just gives me that confidence I lack and makes me think about things and really ups my game a lot. Good luck in making the jump.