You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker in France

edited December 2015 in Poker Chat
Possibly the wrong place to ask this, but so what?

Does anyone know the law about playing online (or live) poker in France? Taxes, transferring money, cashing out and so on. I'm mostly referring to online play (why are there no French players on skypoker?) but also live games.

Thanks,

Fletch.

Comments

• edited December 2015
    Liberté, égalité, fraternité

your winnings get liberated, which puts you equal with other players, in that you support society in your act of fraternity. blame Robespierre

• edited December 2015
    France is regulated so they have to have their own networks. Pokerstars.fr .Betclick.fr etc. shucks to be french.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Poker in France:
    Possibly the wrong place to ask this, but so what? Does anyone know the law about playing online (or live) poker in France? Taxes, transferring money, cashing out and so on. I'm mostly referring to online play (why are there no French players on skypoker?) but also live games. Thanks, Fletch.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Morning Fletch.

Lots of q's there....

Live Poker in France.

(For the sake of reply, I'll ignore Monaco/Monte Carlo).

Very little in the way of "regulated" Live Poker, now that Aviation Club de France, in Paris, has closed. There are plenty of  spielers though. Not recommended. 

When Live Festivals take place - such as the EPT, or Winamax Open, a special licence is granted, & there are plenty of cash games at these.
    However, in it's latest season - Season 12 - the EPT did not have an event in France. It had always been held at the wonderful Hotel Barriere in Deauville, but for the first time they skipped France this Season. It still visits Monte Carlo for the Grand Final, of course. Whether you deem Monte Carlo to be in France is another matter.
  • edited December 2015

Online Poker in France

The French market is now "regulated" & only officially open to residents in France. There are devious & improper ways round this, but I don't recommend them, & I don't think it's right for me to tell you how to try to play on a Fr. Site, as this Forum is designed to promote Sky Poker. ;)

PokerStars Fr. withdrew from the UK, too. However, players on PokerStars UK still go into the global player pool.  

The UK Market is also now highly regulated by the UK Gambling (Advertising & Licensing) Bill, & there is a PoC Tax.

UK facing sites cannot operate unless they have a UK GC Licence these days. A French resident would not be permitted to play on a site governed by the UK GC.

There may well be French players on Sky Poker, but ONLY if they are resident in the UK. If they applied to sign up from France, it would not be permitted. 

Here's the Sky Poker T & C's in that respect......

We accept customers based in any of the following countries: United KingdomChannel IslandsIrelandFinlandGibraltarDue to our products/services being prohibited and/or restricted by local laws we do not currently accept new accounts from any other countries.

So there you go. If that reply did not help you fall asleep, nothing will. ;)