You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Suggestion for TV Show on SkySports

edited December 2015 in Poker Chat

Good show last night.

A small suggestion... 

When you show the heads-up hands and show the studio players in an adjacent screen, instead of side by side screens why not stack the screens above and below?

given the aspect ratios (?) the bottom half of the studio screen has no meaningful content, the bottom half of the heads up table has no meaningful content (that is, until the hand is won)

side by side the screens are reduced in size.  it would be good to put anna, stuart, neil at the top of the screen, full width and overlap this screen half way down with the top half of the heads up screen.  university challenge style.

when the hand is won you can revert to the heads up table alone to see the total display, as is the case already.

Comments

• edited December 2015
    In Response to Suggestion for TV Show on SkySports:
    Good show last night. A small suggestion...  When you show the heads-up hands and show the studio players in an adjacent screen, instead of side by side screens why not stack the screens above and below? given the aspect ratios (?) the bottom half of the studio screen has no meaningful content, the bottom half of the heads up table has no meaningful content (that is, until the hand is won) side by side the screens are reduced in size.  it would be good to put anna, stuart, neil at the top of the screen, full width and overlap this screen half way down with the top half of the heads up screen.  university challenge style. when the hand is won you can revert to the heads up table alone to see the total display, as is the case already.
    Posted by aussie09
    Like +1
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Suggestion for TV Show on SkySports:
    In Response to Suggestion for TV Show on SkySports : Like +1
    Posted by VespaPX

lol   +2
  • edited December 2015

Morning Aussie.

I asked the question yesterday, though I assumed there was a reason, as it is such an obvious idea, & as ever, there was.

It seems, according to Chan, that the Studio that Sky Poker uses does not currently have the gizmos needed for this. He mentioned "keyable sources" & "vision mixers" etc.

A bit of Sky Poker TV background.

Sky Poker rent a Studio in the Sky Studio complex in Osterley. It's a dedicated Sky Poker Studio, as the attached Gallery (the bit where all the techies sit, with banks of buttons, monitors & dials) has several pieces of kit that are unique to poker, including the all-important "Console", which converts the poker hands sent from Leeds into TV viewable format.

At some stage in the future, Sky Poker TV may get an upgraded Studio, & if so, it'll have all the buttons bells & whistles to improve the look & feel of Sky Poker TV. Sky have recently built a whole new Studio complex, so fingers crossed, Poker will relocate there at some stage.

Chan?

Chan is the Director. He was almost the first person I met when I began with Sky Poker at their Feltham Studio back in 2006, he'd been with SB&G a while already, working on Sky Vegas stuff. Can't think of many, if any, who have been with Sky Poker longer than Chan.

Sky Poker TV essentially consists of 3 Gents, Chan, Dan & Louis. It requires around 12 or 14 staff to present a Show, but only Dan, Chan & Louis are permanent, most of the others do stuff right across Sky TV.

Dan worked his way up from the very bottom, starting as a junior AP, or even Runner, I can't remember. I've been to Vegas with him several times over the last 6 or 7 years, cracking bloke, & many of you will have met him at UKPC's. Got a great work ethic, & takes enormous pride in doing his job well. Arsenal fan, obv. 

Louis is the third (permanent) member of the Sky Poker TV Team. Louis is another great guy, strikingly handsome & cool, though he only looks about 12 years old, 13 tops. 

SB&G are lucky to have 3 such dedicated chaps.    

• edited December 2015

thanks tikay. 

just to double check, as i might not have explained properly.  i am not suggesting changing the table picture nor the studio picture.  i understand why each must stay the same.  just change where the two are positioned on the screen.  not positioned side by side but one above the other, overlapping.

...i am going off the idea now.

and great work from the studio people.  they have work tirelessly over the years.  from 3D to 2D.  even through the quiet years when we had to turn our tv volume up to 11.  from a 4 hour show to 2 hours.  from 3 nights per week to 1. 

ps.  smiley winkey face here  ;-)
    pps.  i think chan, dan et al do a fine job, really
    ppps.  no really

• edited December 2015

Yes Rob, I understood your question.

"....from a 4 hour show to 2 hours.  from 3 nights per week to 1...." 

In fact, we used to do FIVE hour Shows, & we did them 7 nights per week.

Five hours of "Live" TV was quite a marathon & pretty tiring. Same for the Presenters & Analysts, never mind the viewers.

Think I once did 4, back to back. Gotta feel for both viewers.

5 hours (8 including prep) in a "Green Studio" with Orford is enough to drive any man over the edge.  
  • edited December 2015

oh god, yes.  i forgot they were 5 hours.  i don't recall 7 evenings a week.  was that 2009 and earlier?  do you recall that you didnt get a stool to sit on until 10pm.  health and safety, pah! 

• edited December 2015
    oh god, yes.  i forgot they were 5 hours.  i don't recall 7 evenings a week.  was that 2009 and earlier?  do you recall that you didnt get a stool to sit on until 10pm.  health and safety, pah! 
    Posted by aussie09
    Yup, 5 hours per night, 7 nights per week.

That was from the start, in late January or early Feb 2007.

Think it remained like that for 3 or 4 years, but I don't recall exactly.

And yes, we stood, facing camera, for 5 hours originally, with a 5 minute break at the top of each hour, & then the stools were introduced. 

In real world context, standing up for 5 hours is no biggie, but even so, doing it facing a camera, & adopting an acceptable posture - no hands in pockets (except for Nick Wealthall) - was surprisingly challenging.

Helen Chamberlain was with us then, too. She was quite the diva. She was "not keen" (read into that what you will) on working with me, & yet, away from the Studio, we get on really well, & to this day we keep in touch, & she is very kind & caring towards me.

We were rehearsing one night, this was before the Show started transmitting, & England were playing that night. The Runner said to us all "rehearsal starts for us all in 5 minutes". Helen, quick as a flash, replied - "no, rehearsal for YOU lot, I'm watching football".

I adore her, but she's not someone than can be manipulated, oh no, tough as teak. Has quite a car collection, too.    

• edited December 2015

were you not called tim lovejoy in those days?

• edited December 2015

Lol, behave.

I was called a LOT of things in those days, still am.......
  • edited December 2015
    I was in that green studio and wierd it was, as what you see on tv was not like the studio at all. I was on with DP Fitzgerald and Jason Barrasford, and you reminded me of them. Just how many have presented the show over the years ? Is there a gallery somewhere?

• edited December 2015
    I was in that green studio and wierd it was, as what you see on tv was not like the studio at all. I was on with DP Fitzgerald and Jason Barrasford, and you reminded me of them. Just how many have presented the show over the years ? Is there a gallery somewhere?
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    Crimewatch