You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

why always me or balotelli

edited December 2015 in Poker Chat
was going along nicely when this happened. 

tezzer277
Small blind  75.00 75.00 7017.50
dumb_blond Big blind  150.00 225.00 16385.00
  Your hole cards

Stevenj Call  150.00 375.00 7605.00
Valkyries Call  150.00 525.00 10412.50
thatscool Fold     
tezzer277 Call  75.00 600.00 6942.50
dumb_blond Raise  150.00 750.00 16235.00
Stevenj Call  150.00 900.00 7455.00
Valkyries Call  150.00 1050.00 10262.50
tezzer277 Call  150.00 1200.00 6792.50
Flop

• Q

tezzer277 Check     
dumb_blond Check     
Stevenj Bet  1200.00 2400.00 6255.00
Valkyries Fold     
tezzer277 Fold     
dumb_blond Call  1200.00 3600.00 15035.00
Turn

dumb_blond Check     
Stevenj All-in  6255.00 9855.00 0.00
dumb_blond Call  6255.00 16110.00 8780.00
dumb_blond Show

Stevenj Show
  • A

River

Stevenj Win Four 8s 16110.00  16110.00

Comments

• edited December 2015
    in this case its because at no point did you put him under any pressure to fold his hand. its a sick one though 
  • edited December 2015
    rightly or wrongly I wanted to keep him in the hand unfortunately on this occasion the trapper got trapped.
  • edited December 2015
    i've got to agree with RLT here, hoping to trap him is one thing but allowing free cards is another, the chances are you'd have seen this guy call all the way in the first place because he's got a middle pair alongside the chance of runner runner nut flush any flush or straight draw he might have will be calling a bet.

All in all any hands you can expect to make a value bet will  call your own bet and anything you don't think will call your own bet will check back themselves due to number of players in the pot.

long term it will be losing value.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: why always me or balotelli:
    rightly or wrongly I wanted to keep him in the hand unfortunately on this occasion the trapper got trapped.
    Posted by dumb_blond
    Once you made 666 you played it spot on! :) ul 
  • edited December 2015
    I think it all depnds what you want to acheive from your post... if you just want to show a bad beat then it certainly is a pretty sick run out thats for sure, If you are looking to have your hand analysed then you made mistakes pre-flop, on the flop and on the turn, but the result may still have been the same regardless
  • edited December 2015
    I think jordz what I am looking for is opinions from  players with more experience than I have as to whether I played the hand right(ish) and was just unlucky or made a complete mess of it.  
  • edited December 2015
    You were certainly very unlucky thats for sure, preflop you may as well just call because min raising will not make any player fold and it also gives someone a chance of re-raising you and making you fold. On the flop Id want to be betting maybe just under half pot, but checking certainly isnt bad if you are fairly sure the guy in position will do the betting for you. On the turn checking or betting is fine. As for the river.. thats something you need to work on.
  • edited December 2015
    Hi Blonde.

Different people, different opinions.

How I would play this sort of hand is very similar to yourself, but I would have raised to 750 (2BB + 1BB per limper) pre.

If you don't like to raise BIG in this scenario, then just check your option in the BB, to set mine.

I know most players would probably just call pre, and when there are deep stacks in the hand, this is a perfectly justifyable option. However, I slightly favour the raise, it just needs to be more imo.

In "normal" circumstances, I would hope for no more than one caller and take it down on the flop if possible (or in this case, slow play a set)

Usually when people are unsure what to do and go the "middle way", this is not correct, so for this scenario, if you raise, raise big, or just check your option, either's fine, but not in between.

I would like to understand your mind set for the min raise pre flop. If it was to have a bigger "starting pot" but still only set mining, I think this is fine because there were big stacks out there, so a bigger starting pot, if you hit a set, gives you more chance of busting them by the river.

The important thing is understanding your reason behind the min raise pre, and then assessing if it was valid/optimal. Post flop I think you did great, just unlucky

After the flop, I try to trap same as you. It's not often you're going to get outdrawn (try not to be affected by this result)

To me the main danger of playing it slow is twofold. One is not getting the money in and the 2nd, is still having several opponents if it did happen to check all the way around. However you got the money in and just got unlucky.

Having said all of the above, because of the number of your opponents, I quite like a very small continuation bet on the flop (about 1/5 pot), as it could build the pot if the bet is small enough, as people will call with overs, 2nd pair, week draws etc. It may also induce.

Clearly there are several ways of playing this hand, and how you play it is also dependant on your opponents' playing styles, people will all have their own fixed views, but imo, there are several ways to play this hand, that all have merit. (That's the beauty of poker)

I'm not normally a fan of "small" continuation bets, but I feel this is a "kind of" exception, as you have a massive hand and 3 others still in the pot. So a small C bet is a way of keeping them in the hand whilst building the pot.

My suggestions are probably not "text book", but I hope you find them of use.

Cheers,

Graham
  • edited December 2015
    yeah as others have said - when board runs out like that - got to fold river as your set is now worthless - any pp above 6 or even a qx hand is now beating you
  • edited December 2015
    yeah as others have said - when board runs out like that - got to fold river as your set is now worthless - any pp above 6 or even a qx hand is now beating you
    Posted by Nuggy962

It was All In on the turn :=)
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: why always me or balotelli : It was All In on the turn :=)
    Posted by StayOrGo
    hehe
  • edited December 2015
    would like to understand your mind set for the min raise pre flop. If it was to have a bigger "starting pot" but still only set mining, I think this is fine because there were big stacks out there, so a bigger starting pot, if you hit a set, gives you more chance of busting them by the river.

The important thing is understanding your reason behind the min raise pre, and then assessing if it was valid/optimal. Post flop I think you did great, just unlucky.

graham here's db's thinking on the hand pre flop  everybody checks back to the bb  a pair of 6s whilst  a handy starting hand I feel is very vulnerable  depending on the cards  he flop throws up, but at the same time I don't want to give anybody a free  card so that is my reason for the mini raise also as  you say to build the pot.
    if the  cards on the flop turn out unfavourable ie all over cards or 3 of the same suit and someone comes in with  a decent raise  I have the option to bail out especially if its called by others as i haven't got  too pot committed. 

I've probably broken all the rules of logical thinking poker wise but have answered your question honestly.

what a truly great sky poker community we have when top players like yourself are prepared to  give up their valuable time
    to offer such an in depth analysis and advice to help novices like my self. dbxx