You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

moving up the levels from small stake

edited December 2015 in Poker Chat
Hi guys first post on the community was just wondering if any one can give me there thoughts on when to move up from micro/small stakes to the next level. I have been playing on sky for a while and have been doing ok and cashed a fair bit and won the odd torny my stats on sharkscope are roi 96.6% and ITM 34.5%. was wondering if it could be time to try my hand at a bit higher level?? any thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome thanks.

Comments

• edited December 2015
    If you are just playing for fun, then i would say once you have 40 buy ins for the next level up then you should move up. If you are playing more seriously and dont want to deposit again then I would say when you have 80-100 buy ins for the level above.
  • edited December 2015
    You dont' have to move up all at once, like if you usually play £5 BHs, you don't have to suddenly start playing every £11 BH, just play the odd one or two alongside your regular games, test the waters etc.

What are the regular MTTs you play on here if you don't mind me asking, and have you got in mind what games you wanna try out? I'm happy to give some suggestions if you say what times you usually play.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: moving up the levels from small stake:
    You dont' have to move up all at once, like if you usually play £5 BHs, you don't have to suddenly start playing every £11 BH, just play the odd one or two alongside your regular games, test the waters etc. What are the regular MTTs you play on here if you don't mind me asking, and have you got in mind what games you wanna try out? I'm happy to give some suggestions if you say what times you usually play.
    Posted by Lambert180

hi thanks for the feedback guys and i usually start at around 6/8pm at night on the 2.20 bh which i have been playing for some time now and seem to do ok at. I am looking to step up to the £5/£11 ones just to test the water to see were i am at and if dont do to well i could drop back down, would that be a good way to see were im at coz the cashes you get on the small ones can be pretty pointless at times ha 
  • edited December 2015

hi pokerkin23

got your email and tried to reply regarding figures for a hero card but the email address failed.  i see that you are yet to play any of the larger buy-ins (mtts with a guarantee of £500+) and therefore there are no figures to report just now.

good luck as you play more and move up the levels.

as my tip, dont move up too quickly.  it is too far if it hurts too much to lose your buy-in.

mind you, your roi% looks good, (ITM% on sharkscope is a silly measure)

gl

• edited December 2015
    Thanks for the replys guys would it be a good idea to try and satellite through bigger tornys also as a way to get in for cheaper as I rarely try the sats
  • edited December 2015
    Thanks for the replys guys would it be a good idea to try and satellite through bigger tornys also as a way to get in for cheaper as I rarely try the sats
    Posted by pokerkin23

Hi pokerkin, 

from my very limited experience in MTT's (and especially the Bh's) there is very little, if any, difference in the standard of players in the £2 BH's and the £5 ones. if your profitable in the £2 ones which ur stats suggest you are, then im pretty sure you will make money in the £5 ones to. The only difference is bigger fields IMO.
  • edited December 2015
    If you took a bounty but (for example) bubbled a BH whould that count as ITM on Scope?
  • edited December 2015
    If you took a bounty but (for example) bubbled a BH whould that count as ITM on Scope?
    Posted by PRees
    yes it does
  • edited December 2015

I would advise some caution and suggest a 3rd way.

Jumping from one stake level to the next needs a little adjustment...people play slightly differently as you go up, they are generally a little less passive.

A different way of giving yourself a chance to win more which also has the added benefit of reducing your variance, (every flip becomes so much less important in the grand scheme of things), is to add a table or two...maybe try adding one each week and seeing if you still win.

As a general thing though I think the standard between £2 and £5 mtts will be quite similar with a lot of the same players.

Good luck.