You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

abreviations

edited December 2015 in Poker Chat
A little help please what do the abbreviations Rio and itm  stand for I got most of the others like lol omg fo and the like but these stump me

Comments

• edited December 2015
    In Response to abreviations:
    A little help please what do the abbreviations Rio and itm  stand for I got most of the others like lol omg fo and the like but these stump me
    Posted by weecheez1
    It's "RoI" (not RIO, that's a place), & stands for "Return on Investment".

"ITM" = "In the Money". 

Unfortunately, those terms mean different things to different people, so there is rarely consensus. Sharkscope, in particular, can be very misleading with those terms. 

Traditionally, in an MTT, we all know what ITM means. But some include "Head Prizes" from Bounties. In the real world, that is wrong. (IMO).   
  • edited December 2015
    ITM = In The Money, i.e. those who cash in a Tournement

RIO, I think you probably mean ROI, in which case it is Return On Investment, a measure of winings relative to amount staked.

Beaten to it by Tikay by a few seconds!
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: abreviations:
    ITM = In The Money, i.e. those who cash in a Tournement RIO, I think you probably mean ROI, in which case it is Return On Investment, a measure of winings relative to amount staked. Beaten to it by Tikay by a few seconds!
    Posted by FCHD
    Lol you won't be the last person to say that
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to abreviations : It's "RoI" (not RIO, that's a place), & stands for "Return on Investment". "ITM" = "In the Money".  Unfortunately, those terms mean different things to different people, so there is rarely consensus. Sharkscope, in particular, can be very misleading with those terms.  Traditionally, in an MTT, we all know what ITM means. But some include "Head Prizes" from Bounties. In the real world, that is wrong. (IMO).   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks for that on an entirely unrelated thing twice this morning I witnessed a three way all in in a bounty hunter both times the big stack lost one of the times he got a bounty how does this work 
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: abreviations : Thanks for that on an entirely unrelated thing twice this morning I witnessed a three way all in in a bounty hunter both times the big stack lost one of the times he got a bounty how does this work 
    Posted by weecheez1
    I have abso no idea on that one, the MTT guys will need to answer that.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: abreviations : Thanks for that on an entirely unrelated thing twice this morning I witnessed a three way all in in a bounty hunter both times the big stack lost one of the times he got a bounty how does this work 
    Posted by weecheez1
    The only way I can think that would happen is like this....

Player A has 10,000 chips
    Player B has 2,000 chips
    Players C has 2,500 chips

Player B wins the pot overall but he doesn't have enough chips to knock out Player C because he can't cover his allin, so if Player A had a better hand than Player C, he effectively won that side pot for the extra 500 chips and was the one that knocked him out (so gets the bounty).
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: abreviations : The only way I can think that would happen is like this.... Player A has 10,000 chips Player B has 2,000 chips Players C has 2,500 chips Player B wins the pot overall but he doesn't have enough chips to knock out Player C because he can't cover his allin, so if Player A had a better hand than Player C, he effectively won that side pot for the extra 500 chips and was the one that knocked him out (so gets the bounty).
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thankyou for that it's right enough it adds another small tip to my collection 
  • edited December 2015
    Posted by weecheez1
    Even though one of the short stacks won the pot, he would have beaten the other dude in the side pot, so got his bounty, and the short stack didnt have him covered
  • edited December 2015
  • edited December 2015
    Alex; You seen THIS ?
    Posted by Tikay10
    I have now, you're such a superstar. The sky suities should also be happy as their revenue numbers will shoot up again ;)
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: abreviations : I have now, you're such a superstar. The sky suities should also be happy as their revenue numbers will shoot up again ;)
    Posted by alex1229
    Nothing to do with me, but I knew you had asked a few times, & I had said "soon" (T & C's apply).
  • edited December 2015
    Posted by weecheez1
    Lambert180's answer is correct.

Is this one of the hands that prompted your question?

Stack sizes before the blinds were posted;

GaryQQQ 2065
    youngomuck 2040
    weecheez1 1830

While you did win the main pot, you couldn't knock yougomuck or me out no matter what happened because because you didn't have either of us covered. I did have youngomuck covered. So as the big stack I won his head-prize in the 420 chip side pot despite losing most of my stack to you in the main pot.

ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Brrrrrrr Small blind  10.00 10.00 1890.00
    yougomuck Big blind  20.00 30.00 2020.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

gogsie52 Fold     
    GaryQQQ Raise  60.00 90.00 2005.00
    mrweeve Fold     
    weecheez1 Call  60.00 150.00 1770.00
    Brrrrrrr Fold     
    yougomuck Raise  230.00 380.00 1790.00
    GaryQQQ Call  190.00 570.00 1815.00
    weecheez1 All-in  1770.00 2340.00 0.00
    yougomuck Call  1580.00 3920.00 210.00
    GaryQQQ Call  1580.00 5500.00 235.00
    Flop

• Q

yougomuck All-in  210.00 5710.00 0.00
    GaryQQQ Call  210.00 5920.00 25.00
    yougomuck Show

GaryQQQ Show
    • K
    • K

weecheez1 Show
    • A
    • A

Turn

River

weecheez1 Win Pair of Aces 5500.00  5500.00
    GaryQQQ Win Pair of Kings 420.00  445.00
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: abreviations : Lambert180's answer is correct. Is this one of the hands that prompted your question? Stack sizes before the blinds were posted; GaryQQQ 2065 youngomuck 2040 weecheez1 1830 While you did win the main pot, you couldn't knock yougomuck or me out no matter what happened because because you didn't have either of us covered. I did have youngomuck covered. So as the big stack I won his head-prize in the 420 chip side pot despite losing most of my stack to you in the main pot. Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Brrrrrrr Small blind   10.00 10.00 1890.00 yougomuck Big blind   20.00 30.00 2020.00   Your hole cards K K       gogsie52 Fold         GaryQQQ Raise   60.00 90.00 2005.00 mrweeve Fold         weecheez1 Call   60.00 150.00 1770.00 Brrrrrrr Fold         yougomuck Raise   230.00 380.00 1790.00 GaryQQQ Call   190.00 570.00 1815.00 weecheez1 All-in   1770.00 2340.00 0.00 yougomuck Call   1580.00 3920.00 210.00 GaryQQQ Call   1580.00 5500.00 235.00 Flop     Q 8 4       yougomuck All-in   210.00 5710.00 0.00 GaryQQQ Call   210.00 5920.00 25.00 yougomuck Show 10 10       GaryQQQ Show K K       weecheez1 Show A A       Turn     6       River     2       weecheez1 Win Pair of Aces 5500.00   5500.00 GaryQQQ Win Pair of Kings 420.00   445.00
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Thanks for that I understand how this works I just wasn't paying enough attention to stack sizes yet another problem that needs fixing who would of thought that such an easy game could be so complex lol
  • edited December 2015
    I always thought ROI stood for rate of interest not Return on Investment but I suppose they're essentially the same thing anyway.
  • edited December 2015
    I always thought ROI stood for rate of interest not Return on Investment but I suppose they're essentially the same thing anyway.
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    Morning Groggy,

That's a new one on me. 

In common usage, ROI is always "Return on Investment", & I don't really see that as the same as "Rate of Interest". Normally (not always) we receive one, & pay the other.   
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: abreviations : Morning Groggy, That's a new one on me.  In common usage, ROI is always "Return on Investment", & I don't really see that as the same as "Rate of Interest". Normally (not always) we receive one, & pay the other.   
    Posted by Tikay10

Speak for yourself teeks

Borrowers pay a rate of interest
    Investors receive

Two sides of the same coin

• edited December 2015
    Posted by FeelGroggy

I just thought loads of poker players just really love Ireland.