You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Paying it forward

edited December 2015 in Poker Chat

Will always remember a certain player, who I wont name as I am not sure I should, but it was about a year ago maybe more not certain and I was on my knees, blown best part of £ 200 on cash after a shocking dym session.

Was playing him HU and he took me to the cleaners, wasn't hard in fairness, I am a terrible hu holdem player.

Down to my last £35 which I advised him of, we played the last hand, got to the river and he bet nuf to put me all in,
call he said if you can beat top pair, straight away I put him on 2 pair or better, call he said I play way higher than this you can have some back if you can beat top pair, I had bottom 2 pair but really didn't fancy it , but decided f@67 it will take a chance, had little to lose at that stage and as mike caro said in super systems I had already entered the threshold of misery anyway.

Boom pot shifts to me, couldn't believe it, he was telling the truth, logged out feeling like I booked a win lol.

Next night he is playing higher stakes, and he cleaned up, man I was happy for him, always look out for him now, amazing act of kindness.

Kags

Comments

• edited December 2015
    Very curious as to who this is. Recently i accidentally entered a 50 quid hyper hu sng thinking it was 5.50, told my opponent who is a strong reg and he offered to win 1 game each so i could have my buy in back, even though it would cost him rake. I declined his offer as wasn't too bothered about losing it but a nice gesture all the same.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Paying it forward:
    Very curious as to who this is. Recently i accidentally entered a 50 quid hyper hu sng thinking it was 5.50, told my opponent who is a strong reg and he offered to win 1 game each so i could have my buy in back, even though it would cost him rake. I declined his offer as wasn't too bothered about losing it but a nice gesture all the same.
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    Sorry if I misled groggy but this was a cash table, with just the 2 of us left, not a hu reg, but yeah that was a kind gesture.

I was truly amazed this night as we were having a right go at each other for a good bit, which made it all the more amazing for me when that happened, nice though innit being in a position to help a fellow player !!

Kags
  • edited December 2015
    Seen this happen at the nosebleed husngs on stars.

The following is chat were a low stakes reg accidently sits the 2k lobby and begs the reg (a $2m  profit player) to chop

--------

fSzkPob said, "guy? i thought this was playmoney... can we make a deal???????"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "u serious?"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "yes sit out"

fSzkPob said, "i feel so bad.. i  have been great with bankroll management!!"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "sit out"

fSzkPob said, "THANK YOU!!!!"

fSzkPob said, "will do"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "ill send u back the equity in chips u have atm"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "1320 worth of chips ok"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "1310*"

fSzkPob said, "sure!!"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "k sit out"

fSzkPob said, "but how can I trust you?"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "i mean"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "if u cant trust me i dnno what i can do fo you"

fSzkPob said, "can you send it now and i promise ill sit out?"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "haha wait you want me to trust you over you trusting me?"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "cmon"

fSzkPob said, "ok i sit out :)"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "k 1310 worth of chips"

fSzkPob said, "yep ty, i fold k10"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "how can u make such a mistake lol"

fSzkPob said, "i dont know..."

fSzkPob said, "you can take my rake"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "okok"

fSzkPob said, "ill cover your rake"

fSzkPob said, "obv"

fSzkPob said, "im so glad for your understanding"

fSzkPob said, "how much will I get?"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "trying to calc"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "(1310/3000)*3925"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "agreed?"

fSzkPob said, "will calc it"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "1714"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "heh"

fSzkPob said, "$1688? :)"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "k i got 1714 heh"

fSzkPob said, "then i give you $25 extra for the rake"

fSzkPob said, "yeah i know"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "nah 1714"

fSzkPob said, "you decide, thank you! i will never forget you!!!"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "haha np"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "glad to help"

fSzkPob said, "seriously i thought i should puke.. fortunate i hadnt eaten"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "hahaha"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "i think im gonna take ur money and run it up at the highstakes firt what u think?"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "just kidding obv"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "haha"

fSzkPob said, "dont say that"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "im kidding man"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "ur getting 1714"

fSzkPob said, "thank you"

fSzkPob said, "<3"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "i might need your real name to make transfer go through"

fSzkPob said, "hmm, i see, but we can get mod here?"

fSzkPob said, "mail : ****@hotmail.com"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "ill pm you in case i need anything or else u canf ind me on here all day"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "oh ya"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "ok bro?"

fSzkPob said, "but i dont use my 2+2 dont know how to login etc"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "ah"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "ok ill twitter u if i need anything"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "or have someone tweet"

fSzkPob said, "ok great!"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "k?"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "alrighty"

fSzkPob said, "yep"

SkaiWalkurrr said, "good game well played"

fSzkPob said, "haha ty u2
  • edited December 2015
    That is unreal thanks teddy.

I cant believe that, unreal
  • edited December 2015
    What was the name of the English player, got p issed one night on the playmoney tables, thought he cleaned up, rang his girlfriend  and proposed only too discover his account empty the next day, rang cc and they broke the news, was on William hill me thinks, will check it out funny but.

Kags
  • edited December 2015
    Haha, I would love to know this also.
  • edited December 2015
    Roy the boy Brindley
  • edited December 2015
    Roy the boy Brindley
    Posted by Jac35
    Allegedly.
  • edited December 2015
    Allegedly Roy Brindley? Or Roy made it up to sell a book?
    I quite enjoyed his book actually. Just a story of a gambler.
    And I like fiction 
  • edited December 2015
    Allegedly Roy Brindley? Or Roy made it up to sell a book? I quite enjoyed his book actually. Just a story of a gambler. And I like fiction 
    Posted by Jac35
    It was claimed to be the case by Roy, in his very enjoyable book, "Life's a Gamble", yes.

Whether it was true, or a tad embellished, is another matter.

I actually like him very much, & we get along well, but he's something of a rascal at times. 

He's taken to sending me "this CANNOT GET BEAT" sports betting tips, mainly on F1. I've had three "back the truck up" suggestions from him this season. Unforch, the truck departed empty on each occasion. And no, I never backed any of them, they were a bit left-field. It's the e-numbers you know.   
  • edited December 2015

<3 Roy 'the Boy' and Ian 'The Raiser', 2 poker million legends. Along with Durrr, they were my biggest poker inspirations. 

The standard 'sit and go' format used to dominate live TV poker, it was thoroughly entertaining 'back in the day' for me as an enthusiastic recreational player. 

Skys coverage of it was awesome too, a series of 2 hour, winner takes all,  'heats' followed by the semis where the format changed slightly, and then the big live final.  

BRING IT BACKKKK :)

I wonder, have any of the names (particuarly from the earlier years) gone on to be outstanding online players? 

----

I have a few friends who send me 'unbeatable' tips. I've been guilty of it myself in the past too. 

They're the same people who send me screenshots of bet slips after the event where they've hit a 40/1 scorecast, and I have to wonder how many attempts at 40/1 scorecasts have they punted and bricked that I don't get to see. 

My favourite is when I get the 'mid game' brag. 

Last week I saw the bet receipt for WBA to win at Anfield when they were 1-2 up after 90 mins. 

Justice 96th minute equaliser :D 

• edited December 2015
    <3 Roy 'the Boy' and Ian 'The Raiser', 2 poker million legends. Along with Durrr, they were my biggest poker inspirations.  The standard 'sit and go' format used to dominate live TV poker, it was thoroughly entertaining 'back in the day' for me as an enthusiastic recreational player.  Skys coverage of it was awesome too, a series of 2 hour, winner takes all,  'heats' followed by the semis where the format changed slightly, and then the big live final.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_Million BRING IT BACKKKK :)I wonder, have any of the names (particuarly from the earlier years) gone on to be outstanding online players?  ---- I have a few friends who send me 'unbeatable' tips. I've been guilty of it myself in the past too.  They're the same people who send me screenshots of bet slips after the event where they've hit a 40/1 scorecast, and I have to wonder how many attempts at 40/1 scorecasts have they punted and bricked that I don't get to see.  My favourite is when I get the 'mid game' brag.  Last week I saw the bet receipt for WBA to win at Anfield when they were 1-2 up after 90 mins.  Justice 96th minute equaliser :D 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Not many.

John Duthie had a decent score Online recently, Bengt Sonnert did well for a long time, but he is a big sports bettor these days. Antonius, of course, got the lot, as did Gus Hansen, though he gave it all back & a lot more besides.

The Gus story, looking back, was weird. He was many millions in the hole whilst being sponsored, he was "the face of", Full Tilt. In hindsight, it all makes sense of course, Tilt was the online poker version of quantative easing. Luke Schwarz prob won & lost a few bob, too.   

• edited December 2015
    In hindsight, it all makes sense of course, Tilt was the online poker version of quantative easing.

those losses though.

mind-boggling. would love to know the real story behind them

we like to define players as rec / regs. how do you class gus? i mean i'm sure he's forgotten more about poker than i know, but i'm doing better than him online, about $17m better.

enigmatic chap.

• edited December 2015
    In hindsight, it all makes sense of course, Tilt was the online poker version of quantative easing. those losses though. mind-boggling. would love to know the real story behind them we like to define players as rec / regs. how do you class gus? i mean i'm sure he's forgotten more about poker than i know, but i'm doing better than him online, about $17m better. enigmatic chap.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    It defies belief, & bestows no credit on anyone.

It was never the right message to send to potential new players, imo, splashing money around like that.

A very odd way to promote a poker site.

How would I define him? In poker speak, bizarrely, he has to be a "whale".

• edited December 2015
    Another great thread keep the stories coming
  • edited December 2015
    A very odd way to promote a poker site.

full tilt have done away with high-stakes tables altogther now i think.

from [allegedly?] bankrolling some of the biggest games ever seen, to scrapping the stakes altogether,

suppose that tells its own story.

would love to see the story of online poker given the micheal lewis-style treatment,

husngs alone would make a cracking read.
  • edited December 2015
    I think what a lot of people seem to fail to recognise is that if a lot of these players wouldn't crush online, then so what

I don't think that's what it was about really. Poker was new to the masses over here. We needed to be entertained firstly so that we would want to play ourselves. 
    For me, it was irrelevant if a player was exploitable or whatever.

William Hill, PartyPoker etc wanted us to deposit. If the shows had been full off technically brilliant hoody wearing, earphone wearing mutes, then I doubt many would have got into the game in the first place.