You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Where did Andy Black go?

edited December 2015 in Poker Chat
I used to love watching this bloke on the box, such a character, never hear of him now.

Just watched The Million dollar Deal on you tube, excellent.

Comments

• edited December 2015

Andy is still around, and enjoying something of a revival in his career. 

He had 5 cashes st the WSOP this year, including a final table for 6 figures, a cash at the WSOP-E, then won the main event at the Fitzwillism Winter Festival in Dublin a few weeks ago.
  • edited December 2015
    That's great to hear, been around a long time that bloke.

Its amazing his story I reckon with the Buddhism,  and the Stu Unger connection.

Thanks Tony !

Kags

Edit I can see why they call your man mad Marty Wilson lol.
  • edited December 2015
    Was looking online at old irish poker player, my lord there is some characters in there.

Liam Flood (rip)
    Donnacha O' Dea
    Padraig Parkinson
    Terry Rodgers
    Marty Smyth
    Noel Furlong

And then I came upon this one,

Tony Cascarino   -   What the

All joking aside, there is some history in there. Safe bet to say you have met or played with them all tony ?

Kags
  • edited December 2015
    If you haven't seen it yet check out a hand Donnacha was involved in at this years Irish Poker Open.
    Poker karma in its best form . Enjoy

• edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Where did Andy Black go?:
    Was looking online at old irish poker player, my lord there is some characters in there. Liam Flood (rip) Donnacha O' Dea Padraig Parkinson Terry Rodgers Marty Smyth Noel Furlong And then I came upon this one, Tony Cascarino   -   What the All joking aside, there is some history in there. Safe bet to say you have met or played with them all tony ? Kags
    Posted by _kagawa_
    Morning Kaggy.

I'll reply to that in a bit, but before I do.....

We have never met, & I only know you from the tables, but I'm gonna bet you are not a "young gun".

It used to be the case - quite odd to think about now - that the world of poker revolved around Live Poker, & there were personalities galore, these guys were real "stars" & people followed them avidly. Devilfish would be a prime example. (He had no Online CV really).  

As Online Poker started to take over - remember, it used to be far smaller than Live Poker (in fact it only began 15 or 16 years ago), that all changed, & the "heroes" (ugh @ that term in poker) became the Online nosebleed guys, Gus, Dwan, Ivey, Antonius, Cates, Galfond, Hastings/Hayes (depending what mood Hastings was in on any given day), Patrick Leonard, etc.

And broadly speaking, the Online generation really don't have too much interest in those "live" personalities from back in the day, they want to know the exploits of the Online generation, quite understandably. Its hard to write pen pictures of them though, as, by definition, they are largely faceless, & do their work behind closed doors rather than in the live arena, where we can watch them.

Anyway, pen pictures of those guys you mention may be of interest to the older chaps, & less so to the Online generation. 

I'll send the thread to Mr Channing, too, as he knows all of them better than I do, & may have something to add. He certainly knows Marty Smyth rather well, & made a tidy few bob by buying 22% of his WSOP action a few years back. ;) 
  • edited December 2015
    If you haven't seen it yet check out a hand Donnacha was involved in at this years Irish Poker Open. Poker karma in its best form . Enjoy
    Posted by day4eire76
    Utterly delicious.

As an aside, we have a legendary slow-roller in the PLO8 DYM's. It's hard to grasp what perverse pleasure they get from it. What mean, nasty people they must be in real life. Of course, they'd cry like a baby if it were done to them.   

Anyway, here's the Donnacha hand. You could not make it up.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDx_3UkGeds
  • edited December 2015
    I remember seeing that
    Sheer class from O'Dea
  • edited December 2015

Liam Flood

I knew Liam very well indeed, & we shared many a happy table. Dry wit, very droll, but a much better player than many realised.

I used to play in Dublin a lot - The Merrion (now closed), Fitzwilliam etc, & Liam was in his element there. 

One of the dealers at the Merrion was "Megs", who was later to marry Roy Brindley, & they have two children now. The Fitzwilliam, which is - or used to be - open 24/7 is, remarkably, a converted Church. The Merrion & Fitzwilliam are just 200 metres apart, so if we bust a comp at one, we'd pop round the corner & play the late comp at the other.

My respect for Liam Flood is because he did something for poker. Not many can say that. It's all very well saying what poker should do for us, but it needs people like Liam to do things to help make poker better. And Liam did.

He was 71 when he passed away last year.   

• edited December 2015
    I remember seeing that Sheer class from O'Dea
    Posted by Jac35
    Never batted an eyelid, did he?

That's dignity.
  • edited December 2015

Donnacha O'Dea

I know him, but not as a friend, as he rarely spoke at the table, or off it for that matter, except to his close friends. As we saw from that You Tube Clip, he had a deep run - 5th I think - at the Irish Open this year. If I wanted an interview for a Live Update, or Sky Poker TV, he was always polite & obliging though. Fearless PLO player. And the PLO cash games at Merrion & The Fitz used to get seriously big.

Has a WSOP Bracelet, & his Son, Eoghan, is a vey tidy player indeed, though more of an online player.

Donnacha represented Ireland in the Olympic Games as a swimmer, & was supposedly the first man to swim 100 metres in under a minute.

Can't think of any other well known poker player who has represented their nation in the Olympic Games.

• edited December 2015
    Donnacha O'Dea I know him, but not as a friend, as he rarely spoke at the table, or off it for that matter, except to his close friends. As we saw from that You Tube Clip, he had a deep run - 5th I think - at the Irish Open this year. If I wanted an interview for a Live Update, or Sky Poker TV, he was always polite & obliging though. Fearless PLO player. And the PLO cash games at Merrion & The Fitz used to get seriously big. Has a WSOP Bracelet, & his Son, Eoghan, is a vey tidy player indeed, though more of an online player. Donnacha represented Ireland in the Olympic Games as a swimmer, & was supposedly the first man to swim 100 metres in under a minute.   Can't think of any other well known poker player who has represented their nation in the Olympic Games.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Nadal? Ronaldo?

• edited December 2015
    Donnacha O'Dea I know him, but not as a friend, as he rarely spoke at the table, or off it for that matter, except to his close friends. As we saw from that You Tube Clip, he had a deep run - 5th I think - at the Irish Open this year. If I wanted an interview for a Live Update, or Sky Poker TV, he was always polite & obliging though. Fearless PLO player. And the PLO cash games at Merrion & The Fitz used to get seriously big. Has a WSOP Bracelet, & his Son, Eoghan, is a vey tidy player indeed, though more of an online player. Donnacha represented Ireland in the Olympic Games as a swimmer, & was supposedly the first man to swim 100 metres in under a minute.   Can't think of any other well known poker player who has represented their nation in the Olympic Games.    
    Posted by Tikay10

darren campbell?

• edited December 2015

Andy Black

Quite the character.

Has his ups & downs, & was under it a few years ago, & I steered well clear of him, as he was not in a happy place. This year in Vegas he was much more at one with the world, was warm & affable, & very chatty. Had smartened himself up, too, he looked a bit down & out the previous few years.

He has the biggest card-marker I've ever seen in regular use, it's a brass "pineapple", like you see on the end of a brass curtain rail.

I was tableside - with Jen Mason - doing a Live Update at the 2005 WSOP, when Andy had his biggest win, $1.75 milly, in the WSOP Main Event Final Table. (Hachem won it). In fact I fell asleep on the floor of the Press Room, as it went on for so long. They played to a finish in those days, & we were Updating for 18 hours straight. Well, Jen was. 

Andy had been staked by the regulars at The Fitz, & when he came home, he got quite a hero's welcome, understandably. 

I've shared many a table in smaller events with Andy, mainly at Merrion & The Fitz. When he was on his game, he was literally unplayable.

Incidentally - completely unrelated - but in those days, a regular at the Dublin rooms was Graham Thew, Julians brother, who had a £6,000 runner up score to Roy Brindley at the soul-less & bland Citywest one year.

Graham had as many kids as Julian, & I always had a dinner invite at Mum's house  when in Dublin, which was Thewy's original hometown. Dinner with about 8 screaming kids, awesome.....Smashing kids though, all very polite.   
  • edited December 2015

Nadal, Ronaldo & Darren Cambell are good shouts, but they are famous for their athletic or football prowess rather than their poker abilities imo. 
  • edited December 2015

Padraig Parkinson

Crikey, a complete one of a kind. VERY funny, & very very bright indeed.

He used to get drunk a lot at the table, & he was a genuinely funny drunk, had us all in stiches.
    We were in Barcelona one year, he was totally bladdered & said "all-in". He pushed his chips across the line, all the money from his pockets, his Passport, & a bottle of beer. Then he said "no, changed my mind, not the bottle of beer".

Traditionally, he quits drinking on January 1st every year until the WSOP.

Not sure about now, but he used to live in Paris, with his extremely pretty & demure wife or partner.

In the Ladbrokes days, he'd very often pop up in that daily afternoon $100 (?) jobbie we all played every day.

To share a table with Padraig when he is on form is one of the greatest things in poker. He's not a great respecter of the "we wear hoodies & we don't talk" crew though, he don't half get stuck into them. They never realise though, it's all so cleverly done.   
  • edited December 2015

Terry Rogers

I never met Terry. He's widely rumoured, along with Liam Flood, to be responsible for introducing NLH to these shores back in the 80's. (It used to be mainly stud). I'm not entirely sure if that is true, & of course once Online took over, it would have happened anyway.

Mr Channing may have more to add on Terry, he would have known him well, & both were bookmakers at one time.

Marty Smyth

Again, I don't know him well enough to write about him. I gather he likes a bet, mind, & is widely regarded as "shrewd".
  • edited December 2015
    Posted by Tikay10
    Did Tony g not do something Olympic related I think I remember him being the flag bearer for someone
  • edited December 2015
    Posted by Tikay10
  • edited December 2015

Noel Furlong

An absolute gentleman, &, let's not forget, a WSOP main Event winner.

I don't even know his real Christian name, he got the nick "Noel" as he was born on Christmas Day, or so the story goes. 

Very wealthy man, has business interests, carpets I think.

• edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Where did Andy Black go? : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatima_Moreira_de_Melo
    Posted by MattBates
    Ooh, great shout.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Where did Andy Black go? : Did Tony g not do something Olympic related I think I remember him being the flag bearer for someone
    Posted by weecheez1
    He was a Russian cyclist
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Where did Andy Black go? : Did Tony g not do something Olympic related I think I remember him being the flag bearer for someone
    Posted by weecheez1
    lithuania?

also did he not play basketball for them?

• edited December 2015
    Posted by weecheez1
    No, Tony G - real name Antanas Gouga - only athletic prowess was as a Rubiks Cube Champion, & I'm not even sure that is true.

His Olympic flag carrying thing was for dual reasons - he is an MEP these days, & has wide Political interests, & he sponsored the Lithuanian Basketball Team.

I was a Business Partner of his in a website/forum/online card room for a brief & unhappy spell. It did not work out well. He sponsored a MTT on my site once too, & that also ended badly.

Having said all that, away from the tables, I like him very much.

I first met him in a Palace in St Petersburg. Strange but true. ("Taleon Club").

He has retired from poker these days, & his Political aide is the famous (ex) Party Poker scribe & publicist Warren Lush, aka "Lush the Gush". Warren did a lot to promote poker, & is a top top bloke.  
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Where did Andy Black go? : lithuania? also did he not play basketball for them?
    Posted by aussie09

Guoga is currently a major sponsor of the Lithuanian Basketball Federation. When the country's national team failed to directly qualify for the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey and had to apply for a wild-card entry, he paid a large share of the application fee of €500,000. The team was chosen for the tournament, and won the bronze medal with TONYBET printed on their jerseys.[22] He was the national basketball team's manager from 2010 until 2012 and served as the vice-president of the Lithuanian Basketball Federation. He was also the main sponsor of BC Prienai, a professional basketball club.

In 2014, Guoga become the vice-president of the Lithuanian Rowing Federation.[23]

• edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Where did Andy Black go? : He was a Russian cyclist
    Posted by Jac35
    Very good.

On yer bike, son.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Where did Andy Black go? : lithuania? also did he not play basketball for them?
    Posted by aussie09
    No, he never played for them.
  • edited December 2015

Tony Cascarino

Not really Irish, he was born in Kent, but claimed Irish descent, via an adopted grand parent to play football for RoI.

Ran pretty well in poker to get so many sponsorship deals. Not saying he's not a decent poker player, but he got the deals because of his fame & prowess - & he was very good - at football.

Still has a weekly column in "The Game", which is The Times football supplement published every Monday. Best football reporting in the print media, "The Game", imo.

When he played for Millwall, alongside Teddy Sheringham, they were an awesome strike partnership. Teddy now lives the life of Riley. He's well loaded, & plays poker & golf all over the world as hobbies. What a life.

• edited December 2015
    Teddy Sheringham manages Stevenage TK......Think that's 1 - 0 to the Goody ha ha
  • edited December 2015
    Teddy Sheringham manages Stevenage TK......Think that's 1 - 0 to the Goody ha ha
    Posted by goodylad21
    Crikey, I had forgotten that.

Poor old Teddy, into each life, a little rain must fall.

I wonder why he took that job?

• edited December 2015
    TK you really are something else, thanks so much for the excellent reply's.

You really need to get this book thing going next year, you must have one nearly written at this stage, with all the excellent posting you do on here and elsewhere. 2016 get on it.

And yeah I am a young gun, slightly rusted that's all.

I met Donnacha son Eoghan in the crown one time, spoke to him for 10 mins or so, unbelievable mild mannered lad, he just got knocked out of the Aussie Millions, he was so calm you would have thought it was the £5 mini bounty hunter.

He had that amazing run in wsop himself, cant recall the year, but a top class player aswell, stone mad into his tennis, holds his own at that too.

Thanks again TK

Kags