You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SkyPoker.com 2015, a look through the rear view mnirror.

edited January 2016 in Poker Chat

A little Blog to look back at 2015 on Sky Poker, the mad, the bad & the sad. 

http://bit.ly/1QHkXw7

Comments

• edited December 2015
    Good read Tikay.
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to SkyPoker.com 2015, a look through the rear view mnirror.:
    A little Blog to look back at 2015 on Sky Poker, the mad, the bad & the sad.  http://bit.ly/1QHkXw7
    Posted by Tikay10
    great read Tikay, happy christmas to all at sky poker
    ihope you all have a fantastic 2016
  • edited December 2015
    Nice blog, looking forward to 2016
  • edited December 2015

There were some very kind comments in the "Comment" section, but I particularly enjoyed this one, by Mr Mum.

"One of the things your really good at"

So many ways to read that. Love it.

I refer the Hon Mr Mum to Alexander Pope, in 1734;

Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, And without sneering, teach the rest to sneer;Willing to wound, and yet afraid to strike,Just hint a fault, and hesitate dislike
  • edited December 2015

I got a gentle slap on the wrist - just playful - from Ger last night, as I spelt his name incorrectly. I've edited it now.
  • edited December 2015
    great read Tikay
  • edited December 2015
    Nice read TK, all the best for 2016. I'm sure I will see you somewhere on the circuit.

Thanks for all your support, both with the charity stuff and looking after us out in Punta Cana.

Cheers,

Graham
  • edited January 2016
     Nice blog Tikay (have been away with terrible internet so while I did read a lot of stuff online I didn't do a lot of replying to anything).
  • edited January 2016
    Nice bump MrC as I had missed it. Nothing to add to it now you've got your Internet back? 

imho it's a good read, maybe misses out on a few of the negatives but rightly so. No point hanging out the dirty washing. Huge respect for the shout out for dagg and the Irish lady. But no mention of the fact that the forum is tikay's baby for the moment. Got to keep that going having lost the SPTs and then 861.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: SkyPoker.com 2015, a look through the rear view mnirror.:
    Nice bump MrC as I had missed it. Nothing to add to it now you've got your Internet back?  imho it's a good read, maybe misses out on a few of the negatives but rightly so. No point hanging out the dirty washing. Huge respect for the shout out for dagg and the Irish lady. But no mention of the fact that the forum is tikay's baby for the moment. Got to keep that going having lost the SPTs and then 861.
    Posted by GELDY
    Well the Forum "ownership" is an interesting comment. Nothing formal, but Mr Top Bloke said to me "we want you to look after it, & keep the tone & mood right, maybe try & brighten it up a bit".

So that's what I've tried to do.

I wrote this, too.

"Sky Poker has a "Community" - you & I call it a Forum, but The Business call, it "Community". They might just be right, too, as the Sky Poker Community really is something special. Not always good - players use it mercilessly to berate the site, & even boast of doing well on other sites - go figure that one - & that's why other sites no longer have attached Forums, it's akin to shooting themselves in the foot sometimes." 

Which seems to have fallen on stony ground. I mean, really, if they ever closed the Forum (& no, there are no plans to), there'd be a hue & cry, & yet no matter how times I say, as politely as I'm able, "this is not Customer Care" we still get threads which, to be honest, are unacceptable, usually headlined by "Sky is rubbish" & with multi exclamation marks appended. Those very guys would be the first to complain if the Community was closed. And that is EXACTLY who other sites closed their Forums, no more, no less.

More follows.....   

• edited January 2016

One of the first changes I made, such as I'm able, was to keep all threads open, even the hot ones, instead of "Closed for discussion" which was so unpopular, & rightly so.

Since then, I can't think of a single thread that has been closed. A few were deleted, as they were genuinely non-compliant - you just can't go round slandering people. Nobody commented about that though, not a word. When threads were being closed left right & centre, there was no shortage of negative sentiment, but now it's been corrected - & IMO, it needed correcting - , it's total silence. Go figure.

I've made a considerable effort to explain to players how the site works, too. I think that is very important, other sites don't bother doing that.  I explained at length about the gripes the MTT boys had, it received exactly one reply, but 5 others contacted me to say "that was great, we understand it better now". BOOMIO, that was the whole idea. Understanding both sides of the table's problems MUST be a good thing, right?  

You may find this hard to believe but it's true - I still, after all these years here, have no idea who "owns" (as in, has official responsibility in the Management Team) this Community. I log on some mornings, & threads have been moved to another board. I don't have the faintest idea who does that. Truly. 

I don't know who approves the photos, either, or what system they use. It's a complete mystery to me.

You may know that there is an "e-mail notification of a PM" service. When a PM arrives, we get an e-Mail. "we" being all of us who are members of the community. Well, that e-Mail notification thing stopped working a year or more ago. Bit of a pain, as unlike most forums, the software does not show when as Message has been received, the only way to see it to go to our Inbox, which feels like about 5 tiresome clicks. Acceptable glitches ;)

And then, this morning, right out of the blue, I got my first e-Mailed PM notification for well over a year. (I get PM's almost every day). Who fixed that? I've not got a clue.

Anyway, the idea is to try & make the place fun to visit, where we can chat, have some poker chatter, debate stuff, what might be good, what might be not so good, & enjoy a laugh. It's a job to bite my tongue when folks come on here & are rude, but that's the gig, & I have to.

Quite how I get the message across that this is not Customer Care I have no idea. Some people (very much a minority) seem determined to ruin the place. Thankfully, we have some great regulars here, & they make it all worthwhile.

Things change fast in Head Office, responsibilities move around, so it may all change any time, & someone else will take over. That'll be fine, I can honestly say I left nothing on the table, & gave it my best shot.

OK, next case, & my "2016 through the front windscreen" blog will be out soon. I had a bit of a problem with that, as Bluff Europe Magazine asked me to do a column on the very same subject, so I had to be careful not to plagiarise myself.      

• edited January 2016

I forgot to reply to this Geldy. Let me correct that. I'm not sure what I could really add. I thought Tikay summarised things pretty well and covered all the main points of what was going on at Sky through the year. I honestly didn't notice too many negative things to discuss but I'm also sure that Tikay wasn't planning to write a blog attempting to highlight any negatives he could think of.

I've sat and thought for a while and the only really big negative subject that related to Sky that I can remember people talking about in 2015 was the change in the rewards system. I made it clear that a change in the system that pumps money from Sky Poker to the Sky Poker players as a whole is beneficial to all Sky Poker players whether or not you directly are a beneficiary of that money. If I play here every day and Sky give all other players £100 and take £10 from me then I might think I should moan on the forum about it but if I sit and think I'll soon realise that this is good for me.

I'm not sure if that was the "negative" you wanted me to comment on but if it was I can assure you I thought the changes were positive.
  • edited January 2016
    Oh no MrC I wasn't wanting you to talk about anything negative. I was more interested in an anecdote or two as to the things that really tickled your fancy. 
  • edited January 2016
    i missed this too,great read as always,i try not to be negative "well i hope im not" this is my hobby and i love it on to this year gl everybody,thank you sky poker thank you Tikay