You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live Advice

edited December 2015 in Poker Chat
Yet to play my first live game and look to do so in the near future. Any tips on things to do and things not to do and just general advice?

Comments

• edited December 2015
    best just sticking to a solid gameplan rather than look at the way people act etc....

Just play your game and keep note of how everyone is playing... then exploit :)
  • edited December 2015
    One thing ive noticed live.
    When you raise and get called and you reach showdown. You never forget what they showed up with . And you instantly know how good / bad they are.

• edited December 2015
    I have never played live either but why don't you make a big deal out of it a nice meal shower shave and show up feeling on top of the world and enjoy yourself your game will take care of itself
  • edited December 2015
    My advice Danny, would be, get as much experience playing lower stakes live tournaments as you can, prior to UKPC.

Don't talk too much at the tables initially, get used to calculating pot size visually. You can't ask the dealer how much is in the pot, but you can ask them to spread the pot, although this can look novicey.

Get comfortable with how much each chip is worth ASAP and keep a mental running tally of your opponent stack sizes. Take a card protector, don't look at your cards until it's your turn to act. When flop, turn, river are dealt, look at you opponents reaction, before you look at the cards. Pay attention so as not to act out of turn, take some form of music, once you get into the hang of things, a lot of patience is required, so music can help.

Initially, if you are not sure where to look, just stare blankly at the centre of the table. Do same with NUTs or bluff

Expect to make mistakes, so don't beat yourself up when they happen, as they will. Get as many prelim live tournaments as you can. ENJOY. GL!

Cheers,

Graham
  • edited December 2015
    DO always make it clear what you're intention is before you act
    DO try and pay attention, putting in your blinds and antes etc without the dealer/neighbour having to constantly remind you
    DO keep your high denomination chips visible at the front of your stack
    DO push your chips/cards within reach of the dealer....nothing more annoying than seeing a dealer struggling to reach and players just not being accommodating.

DON'T attempt to take anything from the middle IE if you need change or if you've won the pot, let the dealer push it your way
    DON'T act out of turn.....you'd be surprised how easy it is do to!
    DON'T chuck in a single chip if you intend to raise, this will count as a call

• edited December 2015
    Just dont play your natural game and you will be fine mate. 
  • edited December 2015
    All good tips.

My #1 tip is tell everyone at each table you join that you are an internet player and please be patient.

They will try and help you and give you all the support whilst not giving you the credit you deserve.   You may even get one guy give you a bit of grief for it, just smile inside :)

Remember, as an internet player you have probably seen more poker hands than most of the guys at the table combined, you are a good player and you know what you are doing.  The only help you will need is the live aspect of it such as when to push chips in etc, you will know what to bet and how, already.

Live players tend to see internet players as 'not real poker' and you can massively use that to take them to the cleaners

Good luck
  • edited December 2015
    never show your cards ,unless you have to
  • edited December 2015
    I would suggest, driving for 8 hrs, touch down, drink as many beers as you can in quick succession, buy in 5 minutes before the end of late registration receive around 15 BB.....spend all your time concentrating on not slurring your words, remember very little of any 'play' and chop it up HU. 
    TBH I have only tried this approach once, but it worked better for me than more traditional methods :-)
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Live Advice:
    I would suggest, driving for 8 hrs, touch down, drink as many beers as you can in quick succession, buy in 5 minutes before the end of late registration receive around 15 BB.....spend all your time concentrating on not slurring your words, remember very little of any 'play' and chop it up HU.  TBH I have only tried this approach once, but it worked better for me than more traditional methods :-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    I'm forever grateful for you not purposely smashing into a wall on the way down to MK. Took immense discipline and for that I tip my hat.