You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

unspawney torney run continues

edited December 2015 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys,
I have had some great advice from many top players on here, and i am following their advice and seeing good results as a result of the changes I am making.
I have moved down a stake as my bankroll was not sufficient for the level i was playing and i am slowly making money. I will be able to return to my previous stake if i continue as i have been doing.
I have lost £100 since september.  I have however spent hundreds (£400ish) on tourneys so i am in fact winning well on the cash games.
I lost another tourney today with AA vs 10j. i got 2 playwers to put 1/4 of their stake in pre flop, shoved on the flop and 1 guy had flopped jj5, he had 10 jos as hole cards;(  I was 27th out of 85 left in. If i had won the hand i would have been in top 5 i recon.  
I have lost nearly all my tournemanets with the best hand like kk vs 77 all in pf and 10 10 vs 99 were the last 2 tourneys.
Does anyone have some advice on not getting frustrated with this long run of rubbish tourney beats please? I understand variance and i know it is more in tourneys with people shoving with pressure from blinds.  
Is it possible that some players are just unluckier on this site than others?
I have heard some players talk about weird stuff going on, like players being delt cards based on their rank? I dont believe this stuff, I think I just have terrible tourney luck...
thanks for your advice and merry christmas to you all;)

Comments

• edited December 2015
    Its very fustrating....

Just this week I have been well placed in tourneys and bombed out with AA, its one of the bad things in tourneys :(

first one wasnt too bad...  AA v (I called an all in) and lost to a flush :(

second one - ouch... again AA and I called an all in...  44  and the flop was 44?  cant remember the other card as I was in shock.

turn wasnt an ace and by the river the laptop was at the other side of the room..... you win some you lose some. I must start learning to fold my AA pre flop and only go with 72os
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to unspawney torney run continues:
    Hi guys, I have had some great advice from many top players on here, and i am following their advice and seeing good results as a result of the changes I am making. I have moved down a stake as my bankroll was not sufficient for the level i was playing and i am slowly making money. I will be able to return to my previous stake if i continue as i have been doing. I have lost £100 since september.  I have however spent hundreds (£400ish) on tourneys so i am in fact winning well on the cash games. I lost another tourney today with AA vs 10j. i got 2 playwers to put 1/4 of their stake in pre flop, shoved on the flop and 1 guy had flopped jj5, he had 10 jos as hole cards;(  I was 27th out of 85 left in. If i had won the hand i would have been in top 5 i recon.   I have lost nearly all my tournemanets with the best hand like kk vs 77 all in pf and 10 10 vs 99 were the last 2 tourneys. Does anyone have some advice on not getting frustrated with this long run of rubbish tourney beats please? I understand variance and i know it is more in tourneys with people shoving with pressure from blinds.   Is it possible that some players are just unluckier on this site than others? I have heard some players talk about weird stuff going on, like players being delt cards based on their rank? I dont believe this stuff, I think I just have terrible tourney luck... thanks for your advice and merry christmas to you all;)
    Posted by fi33er
    In tournaments be aware that as it reaches the end, people play looser. Also pay attention to stack sizes. 

That is general info. I hate when my AA gets called by 2 people and I raised well (it happens and I have shoved/called terribly afterwards) but do not get married to the hand. JJx flop, 2 callers - your AA is suddenly losing to any hand with jacks (13) and any hand with 2 pair of x, never mind someone with a flush or straight draw shoving and getting lucky. 

Deep tournament play is about learning how to use chips and table image (as you constantly shift table). It has been so long since I did a big MTT but I used bigger stacks to either bully or be tight/call limps and go big when I hit flop. Keep em guessing but always know short stacks will shove with ATC (any two cards). If you are mid stacked, try to be anonymous and pounce when the chance comes to take a stack, not a pot.
  • edited December 2015
    Cheers for the advice and  info guys, it is such a hard game when you play well and luck just smacks you down.  I got my money in as a fav today  in ukops every time except aj vs 33 for a head with a short stack, and i lost every hand. I had ak vs aj aq vs a9 and a load of others. kept losing them except 1 split.
    It was 8 or 9 times i lost with the other player a big dog. There was also 1 player who was taking the mickey and trying to wind me up, but at least I didnt rise to their bait. 
    I am thinking of trying a new site if this run continues, it cant do any harm....

good luck;)
    merlin
  • edited December 2015
    Is it possible that some players are just unluckier on this site than others?

its not only possible, its a statistical certainty.

there's no easy way to deal with running bad. you just have to accept it and think rationally about your play and expectation.

it's tricky on sky as without tracking software you have to rely on memory. and we tend to forget the beats we dish out and focus on the ones we recieve. so its hard to say just how 'unlucky' we have been.

if you are only ever getting it in good i'd say you are being a bit nitty btw.

by all means change sites, but that wont have any bearing on your all-in luck.

be more focused on your own game, get to a point where you are confident that you are making correct decisons, and the rest takes care of itself.  but dont allow percieved run bad to cloud your self-assessment.

• edited December 2015
    In Response to unspawney torney run continues:
    Hi guys, I have had some great advice from many top players on here, and i am following their advice and seeing good results as a result of the changes I am making. I have moved down a stake as my bankroll was not sufficient for the level i was playing and i am slowly making money. I will be able to return to my previous stake if i continue as i have been doing. I have lost £100 since september.  I have however spent hundreds (£400ish) on tourneys so i am in fact winning well on the cash games. I lost another tourney today with AA vs 10j. i got 2 playwers to put 1/4 of their stake in pre flop, shoved on the flop and 1 guy had flopped jj5, he had 10 jos as hole cards;(  I was 27th out of 85 left in. If i had won the hand i would have been in top 5 i recon.   I have lost nearly all my tournemanets with the best hand like kk vs 77 all in pf and 10 10 vs 99 were the last 2 tourneys. Does anyone have some advice on not getting frustrated with this long run of rubbish tourney beats please? I understand variance and i know it is more in tourneys with people shoving with pressure from blinds.   Is it possible that some players are just unluckier on this site than others? I have heard some players talk about weird stuff going on, like players being delt cards based on their rank? I dont believe this stuff, I think I just have terrible tourney luck... thanks for your advice and merry christmas to you all;)
    Posted by fi33er

Hi Merlin,

I think im about at the same poker level as you , losing about 400+  and financing my tourny career with my cash game, micro stakes though

Ide like to deal with the stuff you mention in bold.

Sometimes when I'm playing, when I can be bothered, I look up the players at my table on sharkscope, to see how they fair (fare?) , winning / losing / break-even. 

Its not unusual to see the players moaning about it being a fix being either terrible losing players or newbie without a graph.

I was playing a tourney last night, mid-tourney, a new arrival  two to my left. Female name, so , ill refer to her as a "She", you cant be too careful.

She raises 1st hand,(All fold), so , I notice her, I tend not to notice anonomous players.

Over the next 10 deals, she raises about 4 times pre and all fold at some stage during the hand, So , Im thinking, loose , and maybe ill get some chips off her , even though shes got position on me.

She keeps this up , always getting folds.

People start to look her up, 

she calls a shortie shove ... with Q7o , flops AKxxx ,  wins on a Q high card
    She calls the next 5 allins and wins them all , usually on a lucky river.

We start having a laugh at the table , she seems invincible, she doesnt lose a hand. she does it a few more times and wins them too, i/ think one post was split. 

Then , she shoves one last hand, and she is out, as it happens, she had the best hand pre-flop, but she still lost.

I looked her up on sharkscope and over 500 hands , her graph looks like mine, a downward slope.

Now, look at this through the eyes of a newbie who saw her knock out 6 people with her all-ins and this newbie  was the 7th knocked out, he might say, "unbelievable",  "sky is well fixed" , " blah , blah" .

He could be forgiven for thinking this fix conspiracy.  He sees one player win so many allins in one tournie. But , what he didnt see this time, the "favoured" player got knocked out, He just sees a winning 6 run, he cant witness a string of losses, because  he wasnt there to see it. And if he was, she only gets knocked out once, so he cant see any more.

The 6-10 wins , I witnessed them, thats good luck.

But the hundreds of game where she got knocked out, I cant see them , because I wasnt at her table, but sharkscope hints at them.

Why would sky "favour" someone, then  knockem out , in a minor tournie?

even a major tournie.

There is absolutely no point.

Ive written all that ^^^^ , not for your benefit, cos your not a believer in wierd spoken stuff. 

apologies for wittling on.