You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker goals, targets & challenges in 2016.

edited January 2016 in Poker Chat

What are your poker plans for 2016?

What will you change, & try to do better?

What did you learn about poker, & yourself, in 2015?

Comments

• edited January 2016
    I'm still enjoying the plo8 dyms so year no 3 for me at plo8 dyms coming up.

Hopefully get back to winning ways and if I succeed at that then finish as high as possible on the sharkscope leaderboards.

Looking forward to meeting some new plo8 dyms players this year.

Perhaps play another live event this year.

Planning a live house game in late january with mates from work, our first since Sylvia's passing so that will be tough.

Beat Stuarty117 :P.

On a serious note, I hope the company at the plo8 tables is as good in 2016 as it was in 2015 and hope we all stay happy, healthy and strong through good and bad times.

Ger
  • edited January 2016
    After a very up and down year both on and off the felt I am going to redouble my efforts this year. I intend to keep a record of all my sessions this year for the first time so I can plot progress and even jot down my feelings after a session to try and pick up on anything.

Im really going to try and focus on playing more MTTs and sats this time because I really do believe I can do well at the higher levels, I just need to give myself the best chance.

I also want to irradicate (or at least lessen majorly) my one major weakness. Tilting off by jumping up levels. 

Good luck everyone and Happy New Year.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Poker goals, targets & challenges in 2016.:
    After a very up and down year both on and off the felt I am going to redouble my efforts this year. I intend to keep a record of all my sessions this year for the first time so I can plot progress and even jot down my feelings after a session to try and pick up on anything. Im really going to try and focus on playing more MTTs and sats this time because I really do believe I can do well at the higher levels, I just need to give myself the best chance. I also want to irradicate (or at least lessen majorly) my one major weakness. Tilting off by jumping up levels.  Good luck everyone and Happy New Year.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    That is VERY important if you genuinely want to do better, Craig. It's key to doing better, keeping daily records, & self-analysing critically.

Nobody ever got better by repeating "my A-K got turned over by A-Q", or "I ran bad".

• edited January 2016

Poker plans?  Play and enjoy. 

What I will change and try and do better?  Try to cut out the many mistakes I all too often make.

What did I learn about poker and myself?  Life like poker deals us many bad beats, but the bad beats in life tend to be a lot more serious.  So I have learned from the bad life beats that some of our friends have been dealt, that life is too short to be worrying about my nut flush being done on the river by the board pairing.  The spirit and dignity shown by our Sky Poker friends who have been dealt lifes bad beats have certainly taught me a very valuable lesson.
  • edited January 2016
    Poker:

Put a lot of work in on gto solvers
    To be playing @ $100 level.
    Bink a million dollar prizepool, obviously.

The availability and application of gto solutions really has been the biggest change over the last 6months. With the availabilty of cloud computing and cheaper processing combined with higher rake and more reg heavy games i can only see this increasing. Find the subject to  be extremely intresting and cant wait to continue studying.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Poker goals, targets & challenges in 2016.:
    What are your poker plans for 2016? What will you change, & try to do better? What did you learn about poker, & yourself, in 2015?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Plans for 2016 play more live games gukpt gps ukipt etc do a bit of travailing and enjoy poker a bit more rather then just locking at bottom line. Also lock fwd to seeing u at ukpc again tk and rest of sky poker comunity.
  • edited January 2016
    After the amount of issues both in poker and general life 2015 is a year i'll not want to remember.

My biggest goal of all is to take better control of my reactions during those unlucky times.

I'm aiming to get myself my bankroll back to the size it was prior to that cash prize in a highroller by playing DYMs and will decide from there wheather or not i'll make a return onto the nl20p cash.

MTTs are going to be played on a more consistant basis and have been getting a greater understanding of what poker is like with chipstacks 20-50BB since going consistant with DYMs.

My poker records will be kept at the best it's even been kept and will pay close attention to my hand history.

Big MTT win will always be withdrew now whilst I continue a slow and steady progress.
  • edited January 2016

Mine is to play when I really feel in the mood and enjoy it when I do, same as last year then. Also of course not to ever miss the UKOPS or UKPC, obviously and one I failed in totally last year...to start writing a regular blog again.

All resolutions connected to recording results and spending more time thinking about the hands where you could have done things differently and controlled the outcome and less time thinking about bad beats are solid gold money makers. If every time I heard someone pointing to a bad beat in a tournament bust out I could show them the four times in the previous hour where they made a weak call, or limped or peeled a turn because it looked cheap and those 2 or 3 bbs each time meant that the final AK would never have been called by the A10 as they'd have had more chips the world would definitely be saved a few bad beat stories.
  • edited January 2016
    Mine is to watch Neil win a hand in a live tournament. Didn't quite manage it last year.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Poker goals, targets & challenges in 2016.:
    Mine is to watch Neil win a hand in a live tournament. Didn't quite manage it last year.
    Posted by Sky_SamT
    That's a bit harsh, you only watched him in 9 consecutive Tourneys.

• edited January 2016
    Only have 1 challenge in mind for 2016 and that is to play 1at least 000 PLO8 dyms, record results and hopefully make a small profit. Enjoyment will take of itself playing those.

In terms of goals for improvement, I am really trying hard to detach myself from short term results and focus on whether I am making good decisions. If necessary by stopping playing and checking back over hands and using the forum if not sure.

Haven't got off to the best start there - writing a brag post about a 9/10 streak at dyms (detachment needs to be from positive and negative results).
  • edited January 2016
    My goals are are to put into practice what I try and learn about the game 
    Stop calling when I know I'm beat (just to see...etc ) 
    Stop tilting , positive ( believe it or not my biggest problem) and negative .
    When I review my hand history I can see loads of leeks so I just need to do what I should be doing ( folding  draws , playing small A , etc ,etc ....) 
    It's annoying because I love playing and try and learn a lot but when I play it seems to go out of the window !