You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM PLO8 hand selection

edited January 2016 in The Poker Clinic
As with PLO, PLO8 hand section will be based on how good a draw you hand is and hand like 9876 are not such a good value in PLO8 due it's high card straight being split pots.

just how wide  can my lo cards hand selection be?

Comments

• edited January 2016
    It depends how disciplined you can stay post flop. 
  • edited January 2016

The commonest mistake in a large proportion of PLO8 players is a fixation with the Lo. Doing things like playing any hand at all if it contains A2.

The priority In this format should always be to win the Hi pot and not the Lo. The Hi is always there and the Lo only sometimes. Worrying too much about the Lo will get splits at best and quite possibly quartered or worse.

For this reason you should be aware of the Los available but not actively chase them solely.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to DYM PLO8 hand selection:
    As with PLO, PLO8 hand section will be based on how good a draw you hand is and hand like 9876 are not such a good value in PLO8 due it's high card straight being split pots. just how wide  can my lo cards hand selection be?
    Posted by craigcu12
    Morning Craig.

You mentioned on your Diary that you had a bad time in the PLO8 DYM's last night, so I'm going to spend 10 minutes & work through a few things with you, as I watched you closely last night.

You won 1 from 6, but really, that's meaningless. 500 games at the very minimum are needed before you begin to draw conclusions,. Anyone, even the best, can lose 5 from 6. So don't fret about that.

More important is how well you played, whether you were doing the correct things.

More follows.....

• edited January 2016

Firstly, you took a nasty beat last night with Aces. Villain made a horrible play, & got lucky, nada nada.

But this is Omaha (does not matter if PLO or PLO8), & losing with aces is something you need to get used to, it will happen a LOT.

In NLH, Aces (AIPF), are something like 80% to win against ANY hand. You'll win 4 times from 5, it's printing money. If only we got Aces more often, eh?

IN PLO, not so much. Good Aces, the best Aces (Double Suited, ideally), are rarely more than 65%-35% in PLO. So you'll lose nearly 4 times in 10. A good rundown, with opposite suits, or two pairs (Q-Q-J-J, say) are all much the same, roughly 65%-35%.

In PLO8, good double suited Aces (say, A-A-2-3) will only scoop 58% of the time v a nice high only rundown with opposing suits. The same hand - A-A-2-3 Double Suited will only win the low 55% of the time, because the low does not always play.

So the first thing to get used to is that Aces are not anything like as good as they are in NLH, &, broadly speaking, you will lose 4 times in 10 with them. Over a 20 or 30 game session, your Aces are going to get beat maybe 10 times.

So that's very very important to get your head round, otherwise it's going to be Pain City all the way.  

More follows.....

• edited January 2016

Next, A-2 type hands.

The post by Talon is excellent, here's what he said;

"The commonest mistake in a large proportion of PLO8 players is a fixation with the Lo. Doing things like playing any hand at all if it contains A2.

The priority In this format should always be to win the Hi pot and not the Lo. The Hi is always there and the Lo only sometimes. Worrying too much about the Lo will get splits at best and quite possibly quartered or worse.

For this reason you should be aware of the Los available but not actively chase them solely."

That is golden advice.

Now, you & I got it on last night, I raised, I don't recall the exact hand but it was BALANCED (it had High & Low options), & you then re-potted me with a decent but low only hand, something like A-3-4-6 iirc. (The actual hand does not matter). 

In my opinion, this was a bad play.

Why?

Let's assume we are 4 handed, Blinds are 150-300. In truth, this is the ONLY part of a DYM which matters, so get your end game right, & you'll be fine.

If the pot is unopened, & it's you to act, potting it is fine. As you'll only get looked up, say, 25% of the time (because it's easier to raise with anything than call with a middling hand) that changes the odds completely. Instead of being, say, 50% to win, you become 80% to win. Nice.

However.....

If someone opens BEFORE you, this is a different gig altogether. Now we should bin our hand, & wait for a better spot.

First to open is a massive advantage.

As I recall, I won the hand as it came "all high". It often does.

Don't be a sheep & become wedded to the belief that A-2 is the nuts. It's not.

• edited January 2016

So, to the crux of your question.

"....just how wide  can my lo cards hand selection be?...."

Well my rule is I want two things, really.

1) A Balanced hand. This means High & Low cards. Hands like 4 card combos of A-K-Q-J-2-3. Any two from the top, any two from the bottom. Balanced.

2) An ace. People seem to miss the point about an Ace in PLO8. When we play 4 card PLO8 & our hand contains an Ace, we are effectively playing with FIVE cards, as the Ace plays twice. (High & Low). I'm not the greatest, far from it, but I turn a small but steady profit, I've made (a little) money 25 of the last 27 months. And EXCEPT when the Blinds are big, & I'm desperately short, & in full shove mode, I NEVER play a hand that does not contain an Ace. (This is DYM strategy, not Cash or MTT's). Course, if it limps to me in the BB, I may turn up with anything, but I don't even make up the SB without an Ace at 10-20 in Level 1, never mind bigger levels.  

Now I'm WAY too tight, I'm Sir Super Nit, & better players can play without an Ace. But if you want to make a nice, steady, nitty profit, don't go to war without an Ace in your hand.

• edited January 2016

Finally, there's a decent article on PLO8 starting hands HERE

The sidebar to that page also has some really useful PLO8 stuff.

I wish they did not refer to it as "Omaha High Low", it can be "Omaha Eight or Better" or "PLO8") but that apart, it's decent stuff.

Hope all that helps a little.

• edited January 2016
    Hi

Must mention the relevance of it being a DYM.

• can't disagree with TK in general. But for someone who likes an aggro game it's important to recognise the villain. Aggro is good against a thinking player who understands dym dynamics. But if they are a loose caller you need a premium hand. And if they are a super nit  (tikay ) you need a super premium hand. Against smart but conservative players a re shove may get through. 
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to DYM PLO8 hand selection:
    As with PLO, PLO8 hand section will be based on how good a draw you hand is and hand like 9876 are not such a good value in PLO8 due it's high card straight being split pots. just how wide  can my lo cards hand selection be?
    Posted by craigcu12
    in PL08 DONs not wide.

as Geldy says it depends on the players and whether you expect the flop to go multiway.

focus on good A2 and A3s hands, bad players tend to make mistakes. Ultra tight fit or fold is ok at lower stakes but this is not enough higher up.

as you move up, player tendancies become vv important. some will barrel naked low draws, you need to call to avoid being exploited, some pot RR any playable hand, some open pot and RR pot with garbage a lot (mentioning no names), some early to mid game always have it if they RR.

if someone opens, remember the gap effect, if you know they have good A2, how good is your hand?

SNGs can punish mistakes quite easily and £5 tickets will add up quickly, you could always play some low stakes cash to gain game familiarity.
  • edited January 2016
    thanks for all the advice, will be a good read just before PL08

i've gone through my hand history of that day and here are a few hands and my decision preflop.

Where they all correct decisions?
    Hand 1 was able to get played on this occassion but if I'd been sitting outside the blinds I would have folded, is it a correct decision or can it be called?
    drumbeat99 Small blind   10.00 10.00 2120.00
    craigcu12 Big blind   20.00 30.00 1980.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

skintite Call   20.00 50.00 1920.00
    RefAl Fold        
    sparrolegs Fold        
    tikay1 Fold        
    drumbeat99 Call   10.00 60.00 2110.00
    craigcu12 Check
    Whizzewky Small blind   15.00 15.00 1945.00
    engy Big blind   30.00 45.00 1610.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

terry1950 Fold        
    tikay1 Call   30.00 75.00 1995.00
    craigcu12 Call   30.00 105.00 1915.00
    scank300 Raise   120.00 225.00 2280.00
    Whizzewky Fold        
    engy Fold        
    tikay1 Fold        
    craigcu12 Fold        
    scank300 Muck        
    scank300 Win   135.00   2415.00
    scank300 Return   90.00 0.00 2505.00
    Whizzewky Small blind   100.00 100.00 1715.00
    engy Big blind   200.00 300.00 4490.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

terry1950 Fold        
    tikay1 Fold        
    craigcu12 Fold       1850
    Whizzewky Fold        
    engy Muck        
    engy Win   200.00   4690.00
    engy Return   100.00 0.00 4790.00
    10014010 Small blind   25.00 25.00 2160.00
    craigcu12 Big blind   50.00 75.00 756.25
      Your hole cards
    • A

eon1961 Fold        
    tikay1 Fold        
    bearace Fold        
    terry1950 Raise   100.00 175.00 1845.00
    10014010 Fold        
    craigcu12 Fold        
    terry1950 Muck        
    terry1950 Win   125.00   1970.00
    terry1950 Return   50.00 0.00 2020.00
  • edited January 2016
    hand one) BB so you play it, don't raise. If someones opened mostly fold, depends.
    No. 2) if teeks limps, his hand is poor, pot raise. if Scank pot RR fold. Scank prob Pot RR reactively to your presumed weakness with worse hand (maybe)
    no. 3) depends on my image, how frisky whizzys feeling and engy tendencies. close. Some would blast it.

no. 4) not completing BB is a mistake even with a small stack with THIS hand. 
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: DYM PLO8 hand selection:
    hand one) BB so you play it, don't raise. If someones opened mostly fold, depends. No. 2) if teeks limps, his hand is poor, pot raise. if Scank pot RR fold. Scank prob Pot RR reactively to your presumed weakness with worse hand (maybe) no. 3) depends on my image, how frisky whizzys feeling and engy tendencies. close. Some would blast it. no. 4) not completing BB is a mistake even with a small stack with THIS hand.  
    Posted by suzy666
    Yep couldnt argue with this.
  • edited January 2016
    TK mentions the importance of the ace and I think (as a novice) that if anything this is the most underestimated thing in PLO8. Obviously the ace makes the best lows, best highs, best flushes, best pairs....why would you want to spot your opponents such a card?

Second bit - don't play hands with danglers. A38Q - what use is the 8 if it doesn't suit your ace? You're actually only playing two hands, A3 and AQ while others are playing 6. Again, why would you spot someone such an advantage?

Third bit - Depending on stack size, raising pre is usually a mistake because folding pre is usually a mistake.

That is almost everything I've learned about PLO8 and I wouldn't guarantee the accuracy of any of it!

• edited January 2016
    I'd play all of those hands except probably #2, and I'd call a raise in hand one. You must consider your position, your relative stack sizes, and if possible you want a hand with good 'scoop' possibilites.

Hand1
    If you are disciplined post flop it's very difficult to go far wrong pre with a hand like this when you are playing 100bb. You need the flop to look a certain way, and not to get attached if someone is barreling and you only have a nut low, but some players will pay you fully if you hit the nut high and low, so a board with a low and hearts, or 456 would be what you're looking for.

Hand2
    Probably doesn't play as well or as easily as hand one as your spades aren't nutted, and AKo isn't going to play well down the streets this deep. If you call the raise here you're out of position. You'd be looking for a very specific low board to be confident you'll get at least some of your money back. The value of your hand here is to make a low straight, or having a back-up low card. Not easy to play, no real problem with the call and the fold really.

Hand3
    I think this is close between raising pot to steal the blinds or folding. Versus some players you could limp but know your customer and be disciplined post flop. It might be one level too early to steal (which is effectively a bluff) with this hand esp vs a BB with chips. If you do play it you obviously need a low or flushing board if called.

Hand4
    Definite call here, no need to pump the pot this deep. Again your hand has real potential to hit both high and low nuts with the ace flush draw and multiple straight draws. It's fine to call and check fold flop if you don't like what you see.

• edited January 2016
    alternatively you could ignore all the great advice and do what this guy did on a DYM bubble......

d History #988037852 (22:20 07/01/2016)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceWedgieBBSmall blind 200.00200.002962.50gerardirlBig blind 400.00600.001735.00 Your hole cards3AQA   HENDRIK62Raise 1400.002000.003092.50 All-in 2210.004210.000.00WedgieBBFold    gerardirlFold    HENDRIK62Call 810.005020.002282.50HENDRIK62Show3AQA    Show3K54   Flop  67K   Turn  8   River  3    Win highStraight to the 82510.00 2510.00 Win low7-low2510.00 5020.00