You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Am running deeper in tourneys but

edited January 2016 in Poker Chat
I have started running deeper in tourney's lately and yes there's a but coming. I cannot seem to get past the bubble.  If i'm near it and have a large stack I usually fluff it or before I know it the blinds starts eating into my chip stack. I don't look at my position as I find that also puts me off too. I dislike having a large stack of chips near the start as I know half way through I will lose them. I do better being short stack and building it up slowly. Is there any way I can improve my deeper game when blinds are getting bigger.

Comments

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Am running deeper in tourneys but:
    I have started running deeper in tourney's lately and yes there's a but coming. I cannot seem to get past the bubble.  If i'm near it and have a large stack I usually fluff it or before I know it the blinds starts eating into my chip stack. I don't look at my position as I find that also puts me off too. I dislike having a large stack of chips near the start as I know half way through I will lose them. I do better being short stack and building it up slowly. Is there any way I can improve my deeper game when blinds are getting bigger.
    Posted by Darkangel7
    I suspect that Experience will naturally resolve this. However, some quick tips:-

1. Treat MTTs and Qualifiers completely differently
    2. Try and ascertain who are the most and least active on your table and adjust your play for those 2 people
    3. Remember in MTTs it is better to bubble than let your chips bleed away-play for the win
    4. If you prefer playing with a small stack then gift me the chips you don't want ;)
    5. The bubble is much easier on Sky due to there being no antes
    6. Always remember to be lucky-works for me
  • edited January 2016
    Thank you for taking the time out to respond Phil.  Will take it on board and no I won't be donating my chips to you unless you fight for them :) 
  • edited January 2016
    Practice makes perfect

and what Phil says. 

• edited January 2016
    My advice is this; don't think about where you are just look at your stack as something you have to manoeuvre through the levels. Think about how many BB you have and how best to use them. It's about getting in the best spots you can and then letting the poker gods do there work. 
  • edited January 2016

On first reading it sounded a little like the bubble is a massive thing in your thinking. Maybe it is dominating your thoughts a little too much?

Clearly it's less fun playing for hours and getting close but getting no reward than it is to get three times your buy-in back but if the getting of that little reward is costing you a shot at the big prize then you can't win. Most people cash somewhere between 8% and 20% of times they play a tournament and probably if you looked at all the people that are doing it 20% of the time you'd noticed they actually are doing worse over the year than those who cash at 8%.

The real secret to tournaments is to simply play the hand you are dealt optimally considering the chip-stacks, the position you are in, the way the other players are playing and the way they view you. Fixating over whether to play this one differently because it offers a chance to cash can be expensive. There are times when you really have to adapt your decision because of a money jump or because of the bubble and these are classed as ICM considerations but most people take these too far and factor them in more than they ought to.

Hope that helps, good luck.
  • edited January 2016
    Where else in the world of poker can you so readily get free tournament help and advice from a guy with over $3.4 million in live cashes? And even better Essex Phil!

Great thread and gl!
  • edited January 2016
    Some people feel that they need to play super agro around the bubble time. However if your not confident post-flop or as a whole then just play tight. Allow the shorter stacks and weaker/agro players make mistakes and just profit off these mistakes.

Im not saying fold your way to the money, but you can just play a solid game and be just as profitable
  • edited January 2016
    Thank you Mr C and thank you all for the advice. I am running deeper but seem to stall near the end.  My game has come on a lot from when I first started. Thanks to reading a lot of posts and reading advice of others. Sometimes I just feel a bit stuck and lose my confidence deeper into the tourney I go. I will get there and once again thank you for the support.