You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What is your price?

edited January 2016 in Poker Chat
Just been discussing this with a mate and thought I would throw it on here..

How much money would it take for you to never play poker again?

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Would always play regardless because i enjoy it.  Remember Daniel Negreanu was asked a similar type of question before and with the money he has made he definately doesnt need to play.  He says its not about the money for him anymore as hes made enough to last him and sees it as his version of video games and enjoys the challenge.
  • edited January 2016
    I didnt mean it like that, I meant if you were paid a price under the condition that you never played any form of poker again.
  • edited January 2016
    It would be hard to turn down £500k I think.
  • edited January 2016
     £2.50 and a packet of pork scratchings
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: What is your price?:
     £2.50 and a packet of pork scratchings
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    how about I gave you £5 and a lifetime supply of pork scratchings and you play with my money instead? :)
  • edited January 2016
    Posted by MattBates

I would be gone at 100K.... plenty of other games with a skill edge coming through like fantasy sports betting
  • edited January 2016
  • edited January 2016
    £2.20
    All the best.
    Rainman397.
    P.S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK YET.
  • edited January 2016

Great question.

Depends on a lot of things and obviously would be a much bigger figure if you are a pro. For those of us that play recreationally it probably depends on how you are running,

Difficult to put a price on the online friends  you make through poker though, the Outlaws, the PLO8 crew, Tikay, oh hell make it a fiver and I'm gone.

• edited January 2016
    I feel like the more pressing issue is which crazy b****** is offering people piles of money to stop playing poker and why doesn't he have better things to spend his money on?
     That's a bloody good offer Craig, will have a mull over that and get back to you

• edited January 2016
    I wouldn't stop playing if I won the lottery.
  • edited January 2016
    I wouldn't stop playing if I won the lottery.
    Posted by Macacgirl1

thats not what i mean, i should have worded it better, How much money would someone have to pay you for you to agree to never play poker again. 
  • edited January 2016
    That's what I meant jordz.
    There isn't enough money in the world to stop me playing.

• edited January 2016
    That's what I meant jordz. There isn't enough money in the world to stop me playing.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Forget cash, how about a lifetime supply of twiglets? 
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: What is your price? : Forget cash, how about a lifetime supply of twiglets? 
    Posted by HENDRIK62

Delivered?
    I'd have to think about it.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: What is your price? : Delivered? I'd have to think about it.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Hand delivered on a weekly basis by Tikay in a maids outfit.

everyone has their price ;-)
  • edited January 2016
    Maca, you wouldn't take any amount of money? Even with all the good you could potentially do? You could theoretically eliminate poverty entirely and still have money left over. 

I don't know what my figure is but there's certainly an amount that I think everyone should take for ethical reasons. tree fiddy most likely

of course the next question should be where's the money coming from? that would change things. If the answer is the sky then the above applies, and if it's from some rich guy then it depends whether he's given his consent
  • edited January 2016
    Posted by MattBates
    +1 to this! There are probably some hobbies that I'd actually struggle to give up more than poker. 
  • edited January 2016
    you have time for hobbies aswell as poker? awesome!

me 
    after winning a torn answer is not enough money in world but after a bad beat about 5 pence
  • edited January 2016
    £250k or something around that.
  • edited January 2016
    Good question.

If somebody offered me 100k then I would happily kick poker into touch. 

I can't understand why anybody would say "no amount of money would make me quit". £100k would allow me and my family to live a comfortable mortgage free lifestyle, which is easily more important than any hobby.
  • edited January 2016
    Probably like £50k, poker is only getting less profitable anyway.
  • edited January 2016

I would take up fly fishing again
  • edited January 2016
    I would say like 100k and use it for investments in houses and rent them out then youd be making a steady yearly income from your job and have your investments for the future.
  • edited January 2016
    I would say like 100k and use it for investments in houses and rent them out then youd be making a steady yearly income from your job and have your investments for the future.
    Posted by bearlyther
    How much are houses where you live?
  • edited January 2016

This thread turned out to be quite fascinating, with a divide between the serious guys, & the recreational players.

Mr Chiggy The Piggy wrote this.....

"Probably like £50k, poker is only getting less profitable anyway."

Which may well be fair comment, but I think it misses the point - & he's far from alone in his view - that a lot (the majority, by far) of Online poker players play for fun, & they know they have little hope of turning a profit. To them, it's a hobby, & hobbies cost money. Might be £5, £10 or £20 per week, but they are more than happy to spend that on something they very much enjoy. No different to going down the pub every night, or crown green bowling, or fishing or whatever. The facts - the % of poker players that make a profit - bear this out. 

I actually know a good number of players who have a monthly Standing Order to deposit on poker sites. Typically, £20, £25, £30 or £50 per month. And when it's gone, often by, say, the 20th of the month, that's it, they stop playing until the 1st of the month when the next Standing Order goes in. And if they reach the month end & still have money on the site, that's all bonus. That is why traffic tapers off towards the end of the month (on this & every other site), & is boosted after "payday week".

Here's something to ponder, too. 

I logged on at 6am this morning, & there was a £20 (TWENTY POUND) Freeroll running. It paid £5.59 to the winner, & the money went down to 13th place, who got £0.41. (Forty one PENCE).

And that 6am Freeroll, with £5.59 to the winner & 41p to 13th got 120 runners.

To many, that's laughable, but that's how poker works, people will log on at 6am to play a Freeroll that pays a fiver to the winner. It's not all about Team Serious, far from it.  

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: What is your price? : How much are houses where you live?
    Posted by Jac35
    The same thought crossed my mind, but for a different reason.

When John Duthie won the Poker Million, he made that famous throwaway line when asked how he would spend that money. In typically laconic style, he said ...

"Oh I don't know, I'll probably buy a few houses".

The word "few" is key here, it says so much. Most of us spend our whole lives busting a gut to get the deposit on a house & pay the mortgage. 

Buy a few houses
  • edited January 2016

...and here's a little known fact about that famous Poker Million win by John Duthie, who was, later, to retire from being a TV Producer (Hollyoaks, Kavanagh etc) & set up the EPT.

It cost £6,000 to enter (sterling) which was a LOT of money in 2000.

It bore the name "Poker Million" as it guaranteed £1 million to the winner, unlike the Ladbroke reincarnation in later years which did no such thing.

So the top three Prize Money was......

WINNER - £1,000,000

2nd - £100,000

3rd - £50,000

Down in 9th place, Simon Trumper got £6,000 - his buy-in.

Imagine being Heads Up, with a millyball to first, & £100k to 2nd. Business, anyone? I'd bite their hand off. I think most would, though most would say not. Until it actually happened.... 

Anyone care to guess what the juice was on that £6,000 Buy-In? You'd be wrong. It was £30.

• edited January 2016
    I'd guess a lot of the answers depend on how old you are.
    If you're of a certain age, mortgage free, happy with your lot, then money is less important. That's my guess.
    If you're a 20 something, married, kid or kid on the way, 'offered' enough cash to buy a house, then fire away, instant snap fold, bye bye poker. That should be a given I'd imagine.
    I play low stakes, the money I've won (and busy trying to lose) is of absolutely no consequence. I can't get excited financially about winning or losing 10 or 20 pounds a night playing DYMs.
    The question for me is similar to how much money to never listen to music ever again, what price on that? How much to never go to a restaurant ever again, never to go to the pub again?