You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What a quality call!!

edited January 2016 in The Poker Clinic
How can you play against this,.... I mean really.....

Hand History #987912701 (19:36 07/01/2016)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancePuppetJackSmall blind 200.00200.00675.00xxxxxxBig blind 400.00600.002435.00 Your hole cardsA3   Llama86Fold    thedob5707Fold    PuppetJackAll-in 675.001275.000.00xxxxxxCall 475.001750.001960.00PuppetJackShowA3   xxxxxxShow72   Flop  688   Turn  7   River  K   xxxxxxWinTwo Pairs, 8s and 7s1750.00 3710.00

Comments

• edited January 2016
    In Response to What a quality call!!:
    How can you play against this,.... I mean really..... Hand History #987912701 (19:36 07/01/2016) Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance PuppetJack Small blind   200.00 200.00 675.00 xxxxxx Big blind   400.00 600.00 2435.00   Your hole cards A 3       Llama86 Fold         thedob5707 Fold         PuppetJack All-in   675.00 1275.00 0.00 xxxxxx Call   475.00 1750.00 1960.00 PuppetJack Show A 3       xxxxxx Show 7 2       Flop     6 8 8       Turn     7       River     K       xxxxxx Win Two Pairs, 8s and 7s 1750.00   3710.00
    Posted by PuppetJack
    This call isn't even bad. He only has to risk 475 to win a 1750 pot. He needs to win about 27-28% of the time to breakeven on this call. Against your exact hand he actually has a 35% chance to win. If its a bounty it would be a big mistake to fold this hand. 72 sucks but  he's getting the right price
  • edited January 2016
    correct call there for sure
  • edited January 2016
    I thought that you had said on a previous post that you had A'd your finals doing poker probabilities?

Am I missing something?

• edited January 2016
    Jack,
    The only mistake made was yours and that was a small one. The villain's call was correct (from the information provided). Your play could have theoretically been better by making a stop-and-go play, on the basis that shoving pre would always get a call.

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: What a quality call!!:
    Jack, The only mistake made was yours and that was a small one. The villain's call was correct (from the information provided). Your play could have theoretically been better by making a stop-and-go play, on the basis that shoving pre would always get a call.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Eh? How can he stop and go in that spot?
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: What a quality call!! : Eh? How can he stop and go in that spot?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Limp from the SB and shove any flop.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: What a quality call!! : Limp from the SB and shove any flop.
    Posted by BigBluster
    What happens if BB raises? You should be closing the action pre for a stop and go.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: What a quality call!! : What happens if BB raises? You should be closing the action pre for a stop and go.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    You are correct of course: the strict definition of a stop-and-go involves closing the action pre. You know the point I'm trying to make though.

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: What a quality call!! : You are correct of course: the strict definition of a stop-and-go involves closing the action pre. You know the point I'm trying to make though.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Think shoving is way better than doing that ^
  • edited January 2016
    Did you steal his blinds before this?

It is an odd call, but not mathematically absurd and he likely has 2 live cards. I don't think I have ever called an all in with 72 unless the short stack was blinded out.
  • edited January 2016
  • edited January 2016
    Did you steal his blinds before this? It is an odd call, but not mathematically absurd and he likely has 2 live cards. I don't think I have ever called an all in with 72 unless the short stack was blinded out.
    Posted by BigRonnieC

Nope - Bearing in mind this was a DYM, on the bubble,  I was 1st in chips 2 orbits previous but was hemorrhaging chips.
    The last two Orbits my BB had been shoved into & i think the highest card I'd seen AT ALL was a J (maybe with a 2 or 3 as a kicker). - I was trying to tighten up to not blow it by shoving into a bigger hand ( as seems to keep happening) the two shortest stacks had also had 'walks;' in both orbits, so my stack was depleting fast, and the shorter stacks were staying bouyant. (& as all the stacks were relatively short, people were potentially calling wider, but I didn't imagine this wide) 

**** Edit****

In the interests of full disclosure have gone back through the last hands running up to this.....

4s 8d
    Jc 4h
    Ks 8d ( Ok, potentially I could've shoved here as was 2nd to act.)
    4h 6c
    Ah 5s (was shoved into by a smaller stack, if I had've been wrong would've crippled myself) - Perhaps a bit nitty in hindsight, but it just seemed likely at the time that they had a pretty good hand. 
    7s 3d
    Qh 5d

I thought that you had said on a previous post that you had A'd your finals doing poker probabilities? Am I missing something?
    Posted by yuranASSet

No, I wrote a poker program as a software development exam. I'm not an expert on poker probability, although I'd like to think that I know the difference between a good & a bad call. - given the replies on here however, perhaps I have no clue at all. 

In Response to What a quality call!! : This call isn't even bad. He only has to risk 475 to win a 1750 pot. He needs to win about 27-28% of the time to breakeven on this call. Against your exact hand he actually has a 35% chance to win. If its a bounty it would be a big mistake to fold this hand. 72 sucks but  he's getting the right price
    Posted by FeelGroggy

I know any live cards as a n approx 30% to hit ( & that both his cards are probably live) but trust me, - this player was NOT calculating pot odds, or probabilities of any type.
    Jack, The only mistake made was yours and that was a small one. The villain's call was correct (from the information provided). Your play could have theoretically been better by making a stop-and-go play, on the basis that shoving pre would always get a call.
    Posted by BigBluster

I had a 65%+ chance to double my stack. - how was this incorrect, & if I elect ot just complete the SB, what's to say the BB doesn't take that as weakness & shove? in such a case I have to call anyway right? as I'm not going to surrender 1/4 of my stack & leave myself with 2> BB's now am I? 

...oh well. 
  • edited January 2016
    Lol, this is a non story. Player shoves, player calls for an extra 200, you lose. end of. stop whinging and move on.
  • edited January 2016
    Lol, this is a non story. Player shoves, player calls for an extra 200, you lose. end of. stop whinging and move on.
    Posted by alex1229

thanks for your quality input.  I guess the clinic is closed.
  • edited January 2016
    If this was a mistake its your opponents not yours, so its completely irrelvant. I know its annoying losing to 72 dude but build a bridge time :)
  • edited January 2016
    its very unlikely that calling here is a mistake.

in pure chip ev its a clear call.

in icm terms hero would have to shoving ridiculously tight for it to be a fold, and thats if the two folded players are roughly evenly stacked.

if you turned over your cards pre and showed me A3 i would snap call 72o.
  • edited January 2016
    So you had gone from a healthy stack to weak by being shoved on with large blinds?

If you waited a while to shove (and it seems you did), that would project a tighter image, but with the villain's chips, his big blind (don't know history of you two) he has to call...

Just with 7 2 seems wrong. 72, J2 and Q3 - I will almost never play those hands out of the disgust that if I hit the board I would have to show hand :D

I'd have shoved the K8 or 64 previously - the longer you wait, the more you lose in dead chips, the weaker you look and, if you do pick up a premium hand, the less likely you are to get value.
  • edited January 2016
    Posted by BigBluster

Go and Go I guess is what it would be called. I think where the theory falls down a bit is that you're basing it being the best play on something which has been contradicted by the OP. Shallow stacked poker people probably make a similar amount of bad folds as they do bad calls.

Quite like the concept though, wonder if there might be a situation where if we had a lot worse hand and we figured our opponent to be calling 100% preflop we could maybe engineer ourselves a little fold equity freeroll?

• edited January 2016
    As a dym reg, I'd be snap calling here were on the bubble with a chance to win, im going to leave myself with close to 2000 chips behind anyway so even if my 72 loses there's still a good chance i cash and as you've only got 2 BB's yourself you should also be shoving any 2 cards so I'm rarely going to be in awful shape. 
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: What a quality call!! : thanks for your quality input.  I guess the clinic is closed.
    Posted by PuppetJack
    Your welcome - tbf though theres not much else to say? do some studying on pot odds and percentage of what hands beat others, if you had you;'d realise this is a non story.
  • edited January 2016
    Not mentioning in the original post that it was a DYM was a bit of a fail because in a non-DYM it is a snap call with any 2 cards. In a DYM then it is a lot closer because the only aim in it is to survive so just getting the pot odds alone does not always make a call correct. Was it a turno or normal DYM? Other stack sizes are relevant too. For example; if they are all 3 evenly matched then it makes complete sense for him to call with 72 but if he is the biggest stack and there are 2 other short stacks then the extra 475 chips are really useful to him.

As for not having a good oppertunity to shove beforehand: Your cards are often irrelevant in a DYM. You just need to find the right situations where you are shoving into opponents where it would be a mistake for them to call with anything other than a really strong hand.