You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

play in general

edited January 2016 in The Poker Clinic
what are ways to improve my play around the bubble im one of those players who become extremely tight and im folding my big blind to a raise almost everytime, other players will notice that and obviously take advantage but i cant bring my self to re raise with a bad hand and hope they fold cashing for me is more important. 
I personally dont think im very good at poker, i think its more down to having the right cards, the right flop and luck. 
I reset my stats at the beginning of the year and im pretty much just breaking even i seem to have a good day which is then followed by a bad. 
The other day i managed to cash in both the main and the mini which is something i haven't been able to do in a long time but i still don't think that was down to the way i played more folding all most all my hands and having people bust before me.
I know im not aggressive enough at all and i defiantly lose a lot of value with my hands because if someone's calling my raises it always puts doubt in my head that i have the best hand and it sometimes ends up check check on the river even though i was miles ahead.
I also dont understand percentages and positions its something i never new was that important till i started watching alot of live poker tournaments online is there anything out there that will help me have a better understanding of it all which may improve my play in general because im defiantly a scared player and people notice that. 

Thanks 

Comments

• edited January 2016
    In Response to play in general:
    what are ways to improve my play around the bubble im one of those players who become extremely tight and im folding my big blind to a raise almost everytime, other players will notice that and obviously take advantage but i cant bring my self to re raise with a bad hand and hope they fold cashing for me is more important.  I personally dont think im very good at poker, i think its more down to having the right cards, the right flop and luck.  I reset my stats at the beginning of the year and im pretty much just breaking even i seem to have a good day which is then followed by a bad.  The other day i managed to cash in both the main and the mini which is something i haven't been able to do in a long time but i still don't think that was down to the way i played more folding all most all my hands and having people bust before me. I know im not aggressive enough at all and i defiantly lose a lot of value with my hands because if someone's calling my raises it always puts doubt in my head that i have the best hand and it sometimes ends up check check on the river even though i was miles ahead. I also dont understand percentages and positions its something i never new was that important till i started watching alot of live poker tournaments online is there anything out there that will help me have a better understanding of it all which may improve my play in general because im defiantly a scared player and people notice that.  Thanks 
    Posted by asmithx
    I am definitely not qualified to give advice on poker but it seems to me that it's more of a confidence issue with you the fact that you can cash in the main and mini in the same night proves you can play start believing in yourself more and this should show in your poker if the cash is the most important thing you might be playing at too high a level 
  • edited January 2016

and History #988820306 (19:35 09/01/2016)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    asmithxSmall blind 75.0075.0018395.00
    rundagameBig blind 150.00225.004265.00
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

lenny959Call 150.00375.003775.00
    GASFRYRaise 450.00825.005742.50
    joeandttCall 450.001275.0018967.50
    betimbetFold    
    asmithxCall 375.001650.0018020.00
    rundagameFold    
    lenny959Call 300.001950.003475.00
    Flop

• J

asmithxCheck    
    lenny959Check    
    GASFRYCheck    
    joeandttCheck    
    Turn

• Q

asmithxCheck    
    lenny959Check    
    GASFRYBet 300.002250.005442.50
    joeandttCall 300.002550.0018667.50
    asmithxCall 300.002850.0017720.00
    lenny959Call 300.003150.003175.00
    River

asmithxCheck    
    lenny959Check    
    GASFRYBet 450.003600.004992.50
    joeandttFold    
    asmithxCall 450.004050.0017270.00
    lenny959Fold    
    GASFRYShow
    • Q
    • A

asmithxShow
    • A
    • K

asmithxWinStraight to the Ace4050.00 21320.00
  • edited January 2016
    GASFRYSmall blind 100.00100.004442.50
    joeandttBig blind 200.00300.0018467.50
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • J

betimbetFold    
    asmithxCall 200.00500.0021120.00
    rundagameFold    
    lenny959Fold    
    GASFRYCall 100.00600.004342.50
    joeandttCheck    
    Flop

• A

GASFRYCheck    
    joeandttCheck    
    asmithxBet 600.001200.0020520.00
    GASFRYFold    
    joeandttCall 600.001800.0017867.50
    Turn

• K

joeandttCheck    
    asmithxBet 600.002400.0019920.00
    joeandttCall 600.003000.0017267.50
    River

• Q

joeandttCheck    
    asmithxCheck    
    joeandttShow
    • A

asmithxShow
    • A
    • J

asmithxWinPair of Aces3000.00 22920.00
  • edited January 2016
    theres two examples where ive started to doubt i have the best hand i just dont know how to play it differently 
  • edited January 2016
    Just quickly, in hand one there is no reason not to go all in pre-flop.  You're looking for chances to get chips to help in your tournament.  Here there is already 1275 in the pot before it gets to you, and you are only playing 2300ish.  You don't want to be drawing here vs everyone with so much in the middle. 

Just think, if everyone then folds you have added 50% to your stack without having to fight for it. It's highly unlikely that the player who called the 450 raise has a hand that dominates you (only KK or AA), and the player before him might have only raised because of the limp. If someone does call with a hand like JJ then that's fine too we have a good chance of getting a good stack to take forwards.  

It shouldn't bother you if you bust by playing it that way, as over time it will work out for you once you add the folds and races together (and you may even be called by AQ here). Add to that, the times you do get a good chipstack you'll find it way easier to make the money and beyond, and that's what it's all about, the money is all at the top.

Hand 2, you'd find it easier to play by raising pre-flop. Because you didn't you under-repped your hand and got paid, but there's no way to really know you're ahead here as you can't discount any of the weird two pairs for example.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to play in general:
    what are ways to improve my play around the bubble im one of those players who become extremely tight and im folding my big blind to a raise almost everytime, other players will notice that and obviously take advantage but i cant bring my self to re raise with a bad hand and hope they fold cashing for me is more important.  I personally dont think im very good at poker, i think its more down to having the right cards, the right flop and luck.  I reset my stats at the beginning of the year and im pretty much just breaking even i seem to have a good day which is then followed by a bad.  The other day i managed to cash in both the main and the mini which is something i haven't been able to do in a long time but i still don't think that was down to the way i played more folding all most all my hands and having people bust before me. I know im not aggressive enough at all and i defiantly lose a lot of value with my hands because if someone's calling my raises it always puts doubt in my head that i have the best hand and it sometimes ends up check check on the river even though i was miles ahead. I also dont understand percentages and positions its something i never new was that important till i started watching alot of live poker tournaments online is there anything out there that will help me have a better understanding of it all which may improve my play in general because im defiantly a scared player and people notice that.  Thanks 
    Posted by asmithx

I will give you the most honest answer I can. It comes down to two things - temperament and appreciation of pay out %s. 

Forget stack size and hand odds. You could be the chip leader and freeze near the bubble, or you could be the short stack and boss people in the knowledge that others are tight and you'd "only" shove top hands.

I do not play MTTs anymore because I lost that temperament. I cashed well and was hugely profitable for a while - because I had that temperament. I would take a loss on the bubble on the chin and had a great record at final tables. I once shoved (as 2nd biggest stack) in SB with KK when BB was big stack - he snap called with AA and I was out. 2-3 hours gone and wasted. Forget the money. Meh. Check my other table and see whn next £100 or £200 gtd started.

Similarly I would mess about with weaker hands (and often suck out) with smaller stack near bubble knowing people were tight. 

I couldn't do that now; things happened in my life, I took a long break from poker and now I just play low low stakes DYMs.

Secondly, the payout as winner is huge compared to 2nd and similarly massive gaps follow from 2nd-6th or however low it pays out. It pays to win, not to be meek. Why spend 3 hours to DYM when you could do it in 35 mins in a sit n go? Go for the win and win 20 x buy in - but you can't just overcome logic when your temperament screams no and your heart is racing. You have to have that killer instinct to win or go bust. 

• edited January 2016

Hand History #990210275 (22:30 12/01/2016)

dermot1963Small blind 50.0050.006040.00
    LmfaoAllinBig blind 100.00150.002802.50
     Your hole cards

MMA250Fold    
    ROBBIE762Raise 300.00450.002225.00
    LIVERRIVERCall 300.00750.002110.00
    asmithxCall 300.001050.002002.50
    dermot1963Fold    
    LmfaoAllinFold    
    Flop

• Q
    • K

ROBBIE762Bet 500.001550.001725.00
    LIVERRIVERCall 500.002050.001610.00
    asmithxFold    
    Turn

ROBBIE762Bet 900.002950.00825.00
    LIVERRIVERCall 900.003850.00710.00
    River

ROBBIE762All-in 825.004675.000.00
    LIVERRIVERAll-in 710.005385.000.00
    ROBBIE762Unmatched bet 115.005270.00115.00
    ROBBIE762Show
    • Q
    • Q

LIVERRIVERShow
    • K
    • K

LIVERRIVERWinFull House, Kings and 3s5270.00 5270.00
  • edited January 2016
    only on sky! that fold though FML.
  • edited January 2016
    Your AJ hand is interesting. As the K hits, then the Q, you fear that your hand is getting worse with each card when in fact it is getting better. AK and AQ were beating you anyway! What were you afraid of - some sucker with a Q2 or K2 who just made two pair?

You made a full pot bet on the flop, 1/3rd of the pot on the turn and no bet at all on the river - your bets were decreasing as your hand was improving!

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: play in general:
    only on sky! that fold though FML.
    Posted by asmithx

It has happened me a few times, post flop and pre flop when folding a limped raise with a hand that you think "this could be tasty but it is early days and I want to look tight" - queue straight flush/quad/full house on flop - coulda woulda shoulda...
  • edited January 2016
                                     Hi Asmith.
                                                   Your situation isn't unusual at all.As for 'BUBBLEPHOBIA',it's just a question of stack size V pot size and how much you are playing for to cash.Stick to your ABC's of poker (patience,position and strength of bet),If you have a decent stack,there's nothing wrong with floating with poor cards with the possibility of hitting the flop or bluffing on later streets depending on how big the betting is or how you read your opponents.(Make notes during the game-it's valuable ammunition).
                                   If you're low chipped at bubble time then pick your spot and let the poker gods decide the outcome
                                                                                         Hope this helps-run well,
                                                                                                                            Jim