You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Found out today that I won a seat to the £40,000 UKOPS ME for December 27th 2015

edited January 2016 in Poker Chat
Was there no text or email sent out for this?

Comments

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Found out today that I won a seat to the £40,000 UKOPS ME for December 27th 2015:
    Posted by yuranASSet
    Hi,

I have no idea if an SMS or e-mail was sent to the winners, but your name was shown as a winner on the Winter Giveaway Promo Page, (which has now been taken down), & I also named all the winners, including yourself, every day, on this Community, HERE
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Found out today that I won a seat to the £40,000 UKOPS ME for December 27th 2015:
    In Response to Found out today that I won a seat to the £40,000 UKOPS ME for December 27th 2015 : Hi, I have no idea if an SMS or e-mail was sent to the winners, but your name was shown as a winner on the Winter Giveaway Promo Page, (which has now been taken down), & I also named all the winners, including yourself, every day, on this Community, HERE
    Posted by Tikay10

Unofrtunately I wasn't really paying attention to the Winter Giveaway and therefore have no real reason to check the winners page. I can however confirm that there was no SMS or email sent to me. 

Que Sera, Sera...

It's not exactly breaking my heart but it has messed up my Sharkscope even more. Maybe I can have yours. 
  • edited January 2016
    I remember JP saying that the 'Big Cash Game Winners' as soon as they had been notified, would be announced.

I'm now wondering if there is a difference between forum winners and non forum winners?

Is it just Prize draw winners?

The Winter Giveaway wasn't exclusive (obviously) to forum readers.

I do spend some time on the forum but my posts to years on forum ratio equates to about less than one a week.

If we do not think that it's correct to notify winners of promotions (depending on the promotion), then fine! But it would be nice to know.
  • edited January 2016
    You were told what to do in this promotion.

Check the site each day!

The link to the promotion is gone but the pages are still there.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-promotions/winter-giveaway

Extract:

How Do I Take Part In The Winter Challenge?

Simply check back every day to see what challenge has appeared behind the numbered poker chip throughout December and away you go! Any daily Challenges that require players to earn points will be updated on this page the following day.

Winners page was updated each day and you were on it (Sunday 20th)

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-promotions/winter-giveaway-winners

Tikays summary on the forum  was in addition to those official announcements.

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Found out today that I won a seat to the £40,000 UKOPS ME for December 27th 2015:
    You were told what to do in this promotion. Check the site each day! The link to the promotion is gone but the pages are still there. https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-promotions/winter-giveaway Extract: How Do I Take Part In The Winter Challenge? Simply check back every day to see what challenge has appeared behind the numbered poker chip throughout December and away you go! Any daily Challenges that require players to earn points will be updated on this page the following day . Winners page was updated each day and you were on it (Sunday 20th) https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-promotions/winter-giveaway-winners Tikays summary on the forum  was in addition to those official announcements.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Okay, so I guess that there is no issue here then and all should be well in the future for folk that do not check out promotions but may have well won them?

If you say so.
  • edited January 2016

It is not my place to say how sky run promotions - just pointing out that the terms say points race based promotions would be notified in the winter giveaway section of the site.

If you were aware of the Winter Giveaway but didn't follow it I have no real sympathy for you.

Promotions are there to boost traffic, reward loyal players and entice new/returning players.

I guess if you had won a hoodie or an iphone or ipad then you would have been contacted to confirm your address.

If you had won cash your account would have been credited with it.

You were just "unfortunate" enough to have won a Main Event Seat worth £110.

I thought the Winter Giveaway was a fantastic promotion. Had me checking daily to see what the requirement was and whether it was achievable for me. Overall it had something in it for every type of player regardless of bankroll or preferred game type.

• edited January 2016
    It is not my place to say how sky run promotions - just pointing out that the terms say points race based promotions would be notified in the winter giveaway section of the site. If you were aware of the Winter Giveaway but didn't follow it I have no real sympathy for you. Promotions are there to boost traffic, reward loyal players and entice new/returning players. I guess if you had won a hoodie or an iphone or ipad then you would have been contacted to confirm your address. If you had won cash your account would have been credited with it. You were just "unfortunate" enough to have won a Main Event Seat worth £110. I thought the Winter Giveaway was a fantastic promotion. Had me checking daily to see what the requirement was and whether it was achievable for me. Overall it had something in it for every type of player regardless of bankroll or preferred game type.
    Posted by Phantom66

So you are happy that anyone unaware of winning a promotion isn't notified? Hardly, customer orientated but...

fine, if you say so.
  • edited January 2016
    I sympathise to a degree, but I think the onus is on you to check. You knew what was required to win a seat, and you knew where the results would be posted the following day.

Least you got 100 poker points for doing nowt.
  • edited January 2016
    Tbf, there was no requirement to opt in as I recall, no requirement to register anywhere on the forum etc. so everyone was elligible even if they knew nothing of the promo.

Almost all of the targets during the WG promo were points based i.e. not something that some people would have to go out of their way to participate in.

I dunno if this applies to the OP or not, it's unclear cos he just says 'he wasn't paying attention to the promo', I dunno if that means he didn't look at it at all or what, but it's perfectly conceivable that someone, lets say Style cos he gets tonss of points (or could be the OP), could play lots on the site but never venture to the forum/community/website, they win some leaderboard that they didnt even know existed and win a £110 UKOPS seat, but are totally oblivous to it and so end up missing out on it.

So saying 'well you knew you had to check the leaderboards' doesnt really work on the guy who didn't know the promo existed and didn't know that there were any leaderboards to check.
  • edited January 2016
    All I am saying is that Sky Poker were running daily promotions, some with 100 winners. They publicised the promotion and they published how winners were to be notified, and indeed they notified them that way.

Either

1. You were aware enough of the promotion to try and qualify for a seat by generating points and then never bothered to check if you had won one.

Or 

2. You happened to generate the points and qualified by chance. So you were not "taking part" in the promotion at all? It would have been a nice bonus for you had you noticed, but you haven't really lost anything.

If you still feel you should have been notified personally then try customer care, although I suspect you will be relying on goodwill due to the T's and C's wording.

PS If you get in the habit of checking your registered tables before you log off every time you are on the site it shouldn't happen to you again and sometimes it will save you the entry for a tournament you regged and forget about.

• edited January 2016
    Posted by Lambert180
    TLDR  ;-)   

Am I the only person thinking how did he find out 3 weeks later?? 
  • edited January 2016
    Tbf, there was no requirement to opt in as I recall, no requirement to register anywhere on the forum etc. so everyone was elligible even if they knew nothing of the promo. Almost all of the targets during the WG promo were points based i.e. not something that some people would have to go out of their way to participate in. I dunno if this applies to the OP or not, it's unclear cos he just says 'he wasn't paying attention to the promo', I dunno if that means he didn't look at it at all or what, but it's perfectly conceivable that someone, lets say Style cos he gets tonss of points (or could be the OP), could play lots on the site but never venture to the forum/community/website, they win some leaderboard that they didnt even know existed and win a £110 UKOPS seat, but are totally oblivous to it and so end up missing out on it. So saying 'well you knew you had to check the leaderboards' doesnt really work on the guy who didn't know the promo existed and didn't know that there were any leaderboards to check.
    Posted by Lambert180

If you are on a site daily and don't pay attention to the promotions advertised on the login page, or the banners that advertised each days promo during winter giveaway, then I guess you cannot really complain too hard if you miss out on a reward you were not actually playing for.

Of course if you do participate in the forum then you have an advantage there in terms of additional info on promos etc.

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Found out today that I won a seat to the £40,000 UKOPS ME for December 27th 2015 : TLDR  ;-)    Am I the only person thinking how did he find out 3 weeks later?? 
    Posted by Glenelg
    Sharkscope.
  • edited January 2016
    I sympathise to a degree, but I think the onus is on you to check. You knew what was required to win a seat, and you knew where the results would be posted the following day. Least you got 100 poker points for doing nowt.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Never thought about it like that. Every cloud and that, haha.
  • edited January 2016
    Tbf, there was no requirement to opt in as I recall, no requirement to register anywhere on the forum etc. so everyone was elligible even if they knew nothing of the promo. Almost all of the targets during the WG promo were points based i.e. not something that some people would have to go out of their way to participate in. I dunno if this applies to the OP or not, it's unclear cos he just says 'he wasn't paying attention to the promo', I dunno if that means he didn't look at it at all or what, but it's perfectly conceivable that someone, lets say Style cos he gets tonss of points (or could be the OP), could play lots on the site but never venture to the forum/community/website, they win some leaderboard that they didnt even know existed and win a £110 UKOPS seat, but are totally oblivous to it and so end up missing out on it. So saying 'well you knew you had to check the leaderboards' doesnt really work on the guy who didn't know the promo existed and didn't know that there were any leaderboards to check.
    Posted by Lambert180
    The point, precisely. TY, thought I was talking Double Dutch.
  • edited January 2016
    I remember JP saying that the 'Big Cash Game Winners' as soon as they had been notified, would be announced. I'm now wondering if there is a difference between forum winners and non forum winners? Is it just Prize draw winners? The Winter Giveaway wasn't exclusive (obviously) to forum readers. I do spend some time on the forum but my posts to years on forum ratio equates to about less than one a week. If we do not think that it's correct to notify winners of promotions (depending on the promotion), then fine! But it would be nice to know.
    Posted by yuranASSet
    Hi,

Absolutely not. There is only one set of winners.

They were all announced daily on the Promo Page, & as an extra service, I updated them every single day on the Forum, but it was definitely not "Forum only", I was just trying to help raise awareness.

I have sent a note Upstairs overnight, too see if all winners were notified by e-Mail, & I'd not be surprised if they said "no", but let's wait & see what they say first.

It was really quite hard to be unaware, imo. If you never received texts or e-Mails, that can only be as you ticked the "no comms" box, as everyone else (who had not opted out of comms) got them. There were pop-ups & "pushes" on the Tables every day, too, so much so that players complained about the frequency of them.

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Found out today that I won a seat to the £40,000 UKOPS ME for December 27th 2015 : The point, precisely. TY, thought I was talking Double Dutch.
    Posted by yuranASSet
    Well I'm trying to sort this with best intent, ("customer orientated" etc.....) but for the record, I don't agree with the angle Mr Lambert has suggested. To my mind, personally, in poker, as in life, it's incumbent on BOTH parties to make a little effort if they want to reap the benefits.   
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Found out today that I won a seat to the £40,000 UKOPS ME for December 27th 2015 : Never thought about it like that. Every cloud and that, haha.
    Posted by yuranASSet
    (apropos 100 poker points).

Ha, now you & I are of like mind. Always great to see "glass half full" types in life.  

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Found out today that I won a seat to the £40,000 UKOPS ME for December 27th 2015:
    Posted by yuranASSet
    This might be the clue here.

Texts & e-Mails promoting the Winter Giveaway (I'm NOT talking of notifying winners, just promoting the promo), were regularly sent to all players who had not opted out of receiving comms. There were texts every single day iirc, & a weekly e-mail.

You say you were unaware of the Promo, so presumably you never got these regular texts & e-Mails. 

Are you opted out of receiving promotional texts & e-Mails? Do you ever get them about any promos?

If you were getting the regular "pushes" by Text & e-Mail, you'd have been aware of the Promo in advance. If you were not getting them, there has to be a reason.

I'm reminded of Lewis Carroll.

"“Curiouser and curiouser” cried Alice" 

• edited January 2016

I have heard back from the Office, & they have confirmed that they did NOT send e-Mails to the Winter Giveaway winners. It's just not time-efficient & adds an additional layer of complexity, so that was why they set up the Winners Page, which was updated daily, & which I then copied onto the Community.

There has not been one other complaint of this nature. I really can't recall how many prizes were given, but it must have run to hundreds of uniques, maybe as many as 500 different prizes over the WG period? 

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Found out today that I won a seat to the £40,000 UKOPS ME for December 27th 2015 : Unofrtunately I wasn't really paying attention to the Winter Giveaway and therefore have no real reason to check the winners page. I can however confirm that there was no SMS or email sent to me.  Que Sera, Sera... It's not exactly breaking my heart but it has messed up my Sharkscope even more. Maybe I can have yours. 
    Posted by yuranASSet
    I want to get closure on this, threads like this can reflect badly on Sky Poker, (see yesterday's HoodieGate thread), but I think the problem is memory issues (something I'm all to familiar with personally, so you have my sympathy), rather than you not being aware of the Winter Giveaway.

You actually thanked me for providing you with some WG info on the very first day it began, 1st December, & you even put a link up to it yourself, to assist someone else, on this thread, HERE

You also commented on a separate Winter Giveaway thread.....

":((( Just opened my advent calendar and there's nothing in it!"

...on this thread,
    HERE

Anyway, lets get back to that glass half full mindset, so try & qualify for the UKPC, then you & me can hook up, & I'll buy you a pot of tea. If I remember. ;)

• edited January 2016
    Posted by Lambert180
    Hi Paul,

That's a little unfair imo - he did know the Promo existed.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Found out today that I won a seat to the £40,000 UKOPS ME for December 27th 2015 : Hi Paul, That's a little unfair imo - he did know the Promo existed.
    Posted by Tikay10

Posted by Lambert180

I was being hypothetical, I didn't know how much the OP knew about the promo because he was unclear. As you've shown in your previous post though he clearly was aware of all the details, or at least had the opportunity to make himself aware.

I still think the hypothetical point is valid though. I mean, what % of the Sky player base are active on the forum/regularly check the website? I'd imagine it's gotta be no more than 5-10% but that is a guess. So if up to 500 unique users are winning prizes (which are only announced via the forum/site), it's stands to reason there's a very good chance one of the prizes is going to be won by one of the 90-95% of people that were oblivous of the promo.

I guess if you have the settings set up so that you don't receive emails/texts then you've made it impossible for Sky to contact you really and then it is your own tough luck.
  • edited January 2016

Only a small % use the Community, but everyone uses the site.

"a very good chance one of the prizes is going to be won by one of the 90-95% of people that were oblivous of the promo."

Why would 95% be oblivious of the Promo if they don't use the Forum? SMS messages were sent every day, & an e-Mail every week, in addition to Messages on the tables. The amount of people who have opted out of receiving comms is VERY small, single digit %. As you acknowledge in your final sentence, if players opt out of receiving Comms, then that's their responsibility, not Sky Poker's. Where does 95% come from?  

I don't think we are going to agree on this. To me, if people want to take part in a Promo, it's hardly a great inconvenience to check the results, & blaming the site is a little unfair. 

Anyway, let's move on, we see it differently. 

I'm genuinely sorry YuranASSet missed the ME ticket, but I don't think Sky Poker hold any responsibility for that.  

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Found out today that I won a seat to the £40,000 UKOPS ME for December 27th 2015 : Hi Paul, That's a little unfair imo - he did know the Promo existed.
    Posted by Tikay10

To be aware Tikay then I would have had to open the calendar on the 20th December. I didn't do that. So whilst I was aware of the the WG, I was unaware of the promotion for that day. 

Either way, it doesn't really matter. If it's too time consuming to send messages to winners then that's Sky's choice, made for their own reasons. I can live with that. Unless something else is being insinuated, let's move on then.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Found out today that I won a seat to the £40,000 UKOPS ME for December 27th 2015 : To be aware Tikay then I would have had to open the calendar on the 20th December. I didn't do that. So whilst I was aware of the the WG, I was unaware of the promotion for that day.  Either way, it doesn't really matter. If it's too time consuming to send messages to winners then that's Sky's choice, made for their own reasons. I can live with that. Unless something else is being insinuated, let's move on then.
    Posted by yuranASSet
    Good stuff, & no, nothing else is being insinuated, but as you started the thread, it seemed right to try & answer, & reply.

Next case.