You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Life away from poker in the last few months

edited January 2016 in Poker Chat
Hi all just thought id come back its been a few months well what can i say the last few months have been great tbh before october time i used to play poker alot all the time felt it a big grind i dunno how most of u guys do it start at 8 am or whatever and finish midnight just playing poker ofc winning money is great but i wanted to get myself out of that as i find poker boring after a few hrs and just played for the sake of it tbh so anyway october i found myself a job i say job its volluntary work but its my best decision i have made in my life i work for my local charity shop 5 hrs a day 15 hrs a week i work with some great people from all walks of life and its good to talk to them about life what they have been thru etc and i love what i do at work pricing up clothes tagging clothes and steaming i just feel a whole diferent person compared to how i was few years back i had a bit of money i won but i was never happy money is not the bee or end all for me ofc it helps without it u cnt do much but money just made me upset i am skint now and i feel happier ha weird maybbe i just have a whole diferent balance in life now i get up early most days now go for a walk then do my volluntary work and i actually feel like i have done something in the day instead of how i was few years back wake up switch laptop on 1st thing id do is play poker till i go bed got me really down n depressed not going out just grinding away  ok i will stop now before i will bore u all   i will be back to play poker when i get some money i still play the dtd every monday gd fun 3 tourneys to play  :)   best of luck all run good laters

Comments

• edited January 2016

hi idcu

we all think good of you.  aspire to spend life in the middle lane and know that being average is just the best.  highs and lows are still there and they become far more rewarding.

well done with your charity stuff.

• edited January 2016
    cheers aussie   i was in a lil bubble used to sleep eat breed poker its all i knew just poker playing talking etc i still love the game just dnt play hardly at all now mainly cos of money but even if i have got money poker doesnt appeal to me anymore  i rememeber years back i was just playing a home game and a freind of mine said he played online i was like wooow u can plaay poker on your computer i couldnt believe it i got hooked 10 years on still love the game more watching rather then playing now  maybe if i start getting back into it i would get hooked again but i dnt want that to happen im happy with my life and im happy to play once a week now if that
  • edited January 2016
    Really pleased you seem to have life balance, well done on the job and good luck in the future., I like it when people are happy with their lot :) keep it up.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Life away from poker in the last few months:
    Hi all, just thought id come back. Its been a few months. Well what can I say... the last few months have been great tbh before october time i used to play poker alot, all the time. Felt it a big grind, I dunno how most of u guys do it. start at 8 am or whatever and finish midnight just playing poker ofc winning money is great but i wanted to get myself out of that as i find poker boring after a few hrs and just played for the sake of it tbh so anyway october i found myself a job i say job its volluntary work but its my best decision i have made in my life i work for my local charity shop 5 hrs a day 15 hrs a week i work with some great people from all walks of life and its good to talk to them about life what they have been thru etc and i love what i do at work pricing up clothes tagging clothes and steaming i just feel a whole diferent person compared to how i was few years back i had a bit of money i won but i was never happy money is not the bee or end all for me ofc it helps without it u cnt do much but money just made me upset i am skint now and i feel happier ha weird maybbe i just have a whole diferent balance in life now i get up early most days now go for a walk then do my volluntary work and i actually feel like i have done something in the day instead of how i was few years back wake up switch laptop on 1st thing id do is play poker till i go bed got me really down n depressed not going out just grinding away  ok i will stop now before i will bore u all   i will be back to play poker when i get some money i still play the dtd every monday gd fun 3 tourneys to play  :)   best of luck all run good laters
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

It's a hard read, for a couple of reasons. So I ask you, with all due respect, please don't machine-gun your words. I feel like a bit of an ar $e asking you, but you have a story worth reading and I almost gave up reading it. If you can't use grammar, then just stick a statement in a paragraph and leave paragraph lines rarther than bunch every word together. A lot of people need to read this and they won't get to the end!

To offer my view on poker and playing it from morning to night, it quite simply shouldn't be done. I can't speak for tournament players, because I mainly play cash. From the cash point of view, it's easier for us to commit ourselves to 2 hour sessions. 2 Hour session that fit in with our daily routines. 

The first thing to do, would be our morning routine. Shower, hair, dressed, breakfast and other things like feed the dog, boot the wife and kid out the house and start a 2 hour grind. 

Then you could take a break and exercise, do voluntary work, have lunch, walk the dog, before... starting another 2 hour grind. 

Then we could have some wind down time, study poker, study anything that challenges you mentally, have a candlelit bubble bath, or try and do 3 press ups before having dinner. Did I mention drinking a litre of water?

Depending on how your sessions went in the early part of the day, you might be good for another 2 hour session in the evening. Jump on the forum or any other forum that might take your fancy. Blether...

Of course, it's a lot easier to do playing cash, maybe not as easy playing tournies since they will generally overlap but maybe there is a way to minimise sessions. 

Session length fights boredom and tilt and I'm sure there are far more experienced tourney players than me to help you with this.

I find it admirable that you are to voluntary work, I believe it to be good for the soul. The better the soul, the better the poker. Do not over burden yourself, especially with poker. Nothing can ever come good of it. 

Look after yourself and everything else will follow. 

• edited January 2016
    IDCU, all you have to do is take a look on here at certain people who are consumed by poker and realise it can't be a great existence.

Some people are amazing at the game and win the lot.
    Some people like to think they are amazing at the game, talk a good talk but ultimately don't win much/anything.

Unless you are the former, it's really not worth having poker dictate your life.

A full stop or comma would be nice ;)
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Life away from poker in the last few months:
    IDCU, all you have to do is take a look on here at certain people who are consumed by poker and realise it can't be a great existence. Some people are amazing at the game and win the lot. Some people like to think they are amazing at the game, talk a good talk but ultimately don't win much/anything. Unless you are the former, it's really not worth having poker dictate your life. A full stop or comma would be nice ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    This must be you then :P
  • edited January 2016
    soory guys im cr ap at grammar i dont know when to put a full stop or comma ha i like to think i was good at poker when in truth im not that great but im in profit on the game so i must be doing something right cheers tomagoodun and cheers guys   thats why i dont post much i dont do grammar or full stops any of that ha
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Life away from poker in the last few months : This must be you then :P
    Posted by yuranASSet
    Ha I wish! Don't put in anywhere near enough volume on here to make £££, or have enough skill edge in the times I do play to win £££.

I just pity some people on here is all.

glgl Steve.
  • edited January 2016
    soory guys im cr ap at grammar i dont know when to put a full stop or comma ha i like to think i was good at poker when in truth im not that great but im in profit on the game so i must be doing something right cheers tomagoodun and cheers guys   thats why i dont post much i dont do grammar or full stops any of that ha
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Think of it like breathing, haha.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Life away from poker in the last few months : Ha I wish! Don't put in anywhere near enough volume on here to make £££, or have enough skill edge in the times I do play to win £££. I just pity some people on here is all. glgl Steve.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Your either too hard on yourself H or you need a cuddle. Haha
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Life away from poker in the last few months : Your either too hard on yourself H or you need a cuddle. Haha
    Posted by yuranASSet
    I've been described as ''cuddly'' before.

Not sure why.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Life away from poker in the last few months : I've been described as ''cuddly'' before. Not sure why.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    You should use what you have to make a profit.
  • edited January 2016

Good to see you back, Steve, & even better to see you now have decent life balance. Lack of balance is the reason for so much anger, because people become consumed by something, & it takes over their lives.

An odd sidenote, but of late, I've discovered something called "ParkRun", which are 5k "runs" or "jogs", primarily aimed at "ordinary" people who want to get a little fitter, & get some fresh air in nice surroundings. They take place every Saturday in Parks & woodland, or by the side of rivers. And you've never seen such warmth & friendship between everyone, the things exude "goodwill to all". Runners are aged from 5 to 95, fat & thin, short & tall, abled & disabled, sighted & non-sighted, dogs even follow their owners around, I saw a Mum pushing a big wheelchair around in which were happily seated twins. Nobody berates lesser runners, quite the opposite, they go out of their way to help.

It's just the nicest thing ever. I'm guilty of being immersed too much in poker, both sides of the table for a very long time, &, you know, poker & "goodwill to all" are not natural bedfellows. What a refreshing change it is to get away from tip tapping on the computer & see what the real world is like. And it's pretty good.
  • edited January 2016
    Gd to hear bud things outside poker going well

Gl on tables when you come back playing :)
  • edited January 2016
    thanks tikay nice post i just love working in charity shop love what i do look forward to get up early in the morning and do something instead of being a bum and do nothing ha  cheers liam i prob play the dtd this monday see u then :)
  • edited January 2016
    Really glad you're loving life IDCU 
    :)
  • edited January 2016
    thanks tikay nice post i just love working in charity shop love what i do look forward to get up early in the morning and do something instead of being a bum and do nothing ha  cheers liam i prob play the dtd this monday see u then :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    That's the best thing.
  • edited January 2016
    congrats on being happy, thats pretty much all life is about imo, We cant choose to be happy all we can do is take certain steps to give us the best chance of being/staying happy. Having a job/routine is a great way to go and will give you a greater purpose and feeling of self-worth. Im a big believer in a healthy body/healthy mind etc it just gives you a big edge in life and poker, you are a winning player and im sure if you can get the right work/poker/social life balance then you can build yourself up a nice poker wage on the side. 

GL
  • edited January 2016
    glad to hear things are going well pal!! keep it up!!
  • edited January 2016
    thanks guys + mrs duck means alot didnt expect to get so many replies thankyou all i want to be that bubbly outgoing guy again and im slowly getting back to that person small steps and doing what i do now going out meeting people chatting to people is a big confidence booster for me as i just used to lock myself away in my bedroom just playing poker got me very depressed and the only person who could change my life balance was me no 1 else i just didnt like who i was and now i am a better person :)
  • edited January 2016
    nice post jordz ya right everything u said :)  run good on that tables pal