You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Players notes

edited January 2016 in Poker Chat
what kind of things do you write on a players notes? I've only really just started using them normally to express my anger on a fish or a bad player. I don't often write notes on a good player I just recognise the name and already know I'm about to be slaughterd at the table. I just don't know what info I would find useful if I was to play against them again.

Thanks

Comments

• edited January 2016
    here are some I have on different players

I also colour tag players, green- bit lose or maybe bluffs too much , Red, either good player or trappy, i.e. will limp in with premiums.

2bet , 3bet 4bet JJ (t) w/ 30bb

EP 3xbb raises . then folds to 3bet
    calls raise and donk bets oop with 66 on missed boards

(t) allin pre AKo

allin ATv my AQ,,i was short DYM
    completes sb with  87o

Friendly, chatty player, always says hello
  • edited January 2016

i use notes to alert me to immediate targets.

i use my webpages for everything else.

check this out ..

www.pokersuperhero.com/villain.html

type in the initial letter of their alias to go to the correct alpha page.. then insert the alias.

try it.

• edited January 2016
    A few I've made tonight that are still fresh in my mind :-

"limps in with j2 when blinds are significant"

"calls raise with 9 4 offsuit late on in dym"

"calls 3 bet with 5 6 out of position"

Lovely stuff!

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Players notes:
    i use notes to alert me to immediate targets. i use my webpages for everything else. check this out .. www.pokersuperhero.com/villain.html type in the initial letter of their alias to go to the correct alpha page.. then insert the alias. try it.
    Posted by aussie09
    I always follow your posts :) but never actually thought about using that, will be useful when I've ran out of sharkscope searches thanks . 
  • edited January 2016
    Thanks all yeah was on the right track with my notes just wasn't sure if I was missing something. 
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Players notes : I always follow your posts :) but never actually thought about using that, will be useful when I've ran out of sharscope searches thanks . 
    Posted by asmithx
    cheers smiffy

• edited January 2016
    A few I've made tonight that are still fresh in my mind :- "limps in with j2 when blinds are significant" "calls raise with 9 4 offsuit late on in dym" "calls 3 bet with 5 6 out of position" Lovely stuff!
    Posted by Dozza
    lol where are you finding these players?
  • edited January 2016
    some tips for effecient note taking:

+ dont use perjorative labels.

a general label of style such as 'passive postflop' or 'tight oop' is fine. but using labels such as fish, moron etc isnt going to be productive. quite the opposite. it opens you up to potential tilt [how can this fish out play ME!] or complacency. remember so called 'fish' pay the bills and keep games running. pay them respect, and dont allow emotions to affect even your note-taking. if a lable doesnt help range a player, leave it out, especially if it is a derogatory label its going to make you emotional without giving any hint to a players range or your appropriate response.

+ develop a short hand.

notes should be easy to take and easy to read.

shorten: 'three bet to t120 big blind v button open and then shoved A57 with a flush draw present with stack of 30 BB'

to: '3b 3x BB v BTN, Cbt shv A57ss @ 30bb eff' .

remember when taking note of sizings the effects of different blind levels.  so the difference between someone isoing to t80 @ 10/20 v @ 20/40 is significant. either make a note of betsizing as a multiple of BB  / % of pot, or note the blind level.

eg

4x iso @ 25bb

or

t80 iso 25bb eff @ 20/40

+ the question mark trick:

you want to be confident in your notes. so use this little trick:

you make a note that villain is an aggressive check raier. however maybe he has just hit the deck hard, or has reads v the person cbetting.
    make the note thus:

agg c/r strat ???

next time you are in a game with him simply delete  question marks as your read is confirmed. so you can lower your risk of regret by not making as many over adjustments

----

WHAT to take note of

things that will alter your standard actions:

you will develop standard lines / default ranges that work well against the general population of players you face. if villain does something unusual that would mean you want to play your hands / ranges differently then it is definately note worthy.

has someone flatted A7s to a minr HU @ 12bb eff? that will mean i will want to shove big Ax as he is getting that hand in v a shove.

has villain 3 barrelled complete air on a dry board? my bluff catching range is going to signifcantly widen.

any traps in villains range.

limp / raises with AA, checking nuts on river / check calling strong hands on flops. important to note these hands because as they involve strong holdings and strong holdings are hard to make it means you wont see them often enough to remember. use notes.

general tendencies.

is villain tight v 3x raises, does he cbets often, raise all buttons? these are notes on common spots. as such you will build a more accurate and reliable impression, and as such these notes are very valuable.

any unusual lines villain has seen you take.

has villain seen you over bet the nuts / bluff on the river. has he seen you limp AA @ 10bb eff? these things are good to know. dont over level yourself with these notes. just because he has seen you jam the nuts doesnt mean you can do so with air with abandon. but noting what notes he may have on you can be very useful

any strategy you have developed.

i'll often study other regs games and break their ranges down and write out some strat advice [what flops to float, what range to c/r, when to over-fold etc]. if you can develop some solid strategy v a particular villain then having it in note form at the table is going to really help you. harder to do here with no tracking software, but still worth the effort i imagine if you have volume v players or are willing to keep eg a googledoc open on the side of your tables.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Players notes : lol where are you finding these players?
    Posted by vinny67
    On the high stakes DYMs lol
  • edited January 2016
    here are some I have on different players I also colour tag players, green- bit lose or maybe bluffs too much , Red, either good player or trappy, i.e. will limp in with premiums. 2bet , 3bet 4bet JJ (t) w/ 30bb EP 3xbb raises . then folds to 3bet calls raise and donk bets oop with 66 on missed boards (t) allin pre AKo allin ATv my AQ,,i was short DYM completes sb with  87o Friendly, chatty player, always says hello
    Posted by mumsie
    Hahaha not got a clue what you put about me, dread to think
  • edited January 2016
    My notes are simple

Usually start with S and end in T
  • edited January 2016
    some tips for effecient note taking: + dont use perjorative labels. a general label of style such as 'passive postflop' or 'tight oop' is fine. but using labels such as fish, moron etc isnt going to be productive. quite the opposite. it opens you up to potential tilt [how can this fish out play ME!] or complacency. remember so called 'fish' pay the bills and keep games running. pay them respect, and dont allow emotions to affect even your note-taking. if a lable doesnt help range a player, leave it out, especially if it is a derogatory label its going to make you emotional without giving any hint to a players range or your appropriate response. + develop a short hand. notes should be easy to take and easy to read. shorten: 'three bet to t120 big blind v button open and then shoved A57 with a flush draw present with stack of 30 BB' to: '3b 3x BB v BTN, Cbt shv A57ss @ 30bb eff' . remember when taking note of sizings the effects of different blind levels.  so the difference between someone isoing to t80 @ 10/20 v @ 20/40 is significant. either make a note of betsizing as a multiple of BB  / % of pot, or note the blind level. eg 4x iso @ 25bb or t80 iso 25bb eff @ 20/40 + the question mark trick : you want to be confident in your notes. so use this little trick: you make a note that villain is an aggressive check raier. however maybe he has just hit the deck hard, or has reads v the person cbetting. make the note thus: agg c/r strat ??? next time you are in a game with him simply delete a question mark as your read is confirmed. so you can lower your risk of regret by not making as many over adjustments ---- WHAT to take note of things that will alter your standard actions: you will develop standard lines / default ranges that work well against the general population of players you face. if villain does something unusual that would mean you want to play your hands / ranges differently then it is definately note worthy. has someone flatted A7s to a minr HU @ 12bb eff? that will mean i will want to shove big Ax as he is getting that hand in v a shove. has villain 3 barrelled complete air on a dry board? my bluff catching range is going to signifcantly widen. any traps in villains range. limp / raises with AA, checking nuts on river / check calling strong hands on flops. important to note these hands because as they involve strong holdings and strong holdings are hard to make it means you wont see them often enough to remember. use notes. general tendencies. is villain tight v 3x raises, does he cbets often, raise all buttons? these are notes on common spots. as such you will build a more accurate and reliable impression, and as such these notes are very valuable. any unusual lines villain has seen you take. has villain seen you over bet the nuts / bluff on the river. has he seen you limp AA @ 10bb eff? these things are good to know. dont over level yourself with these notes. just because he has seen you jam the nuts doesnt mean you can do so with air with abandon. but noting what notes he may have on you can be very useful any strategy you have developed. i'll often study other regs games and break their ranges down and write out some strat advice [what flops to float, what range to c/r, when to over-fold etc]. if you can develop some solid strategy v a particular villain then having it in note form at the table is going to really help you. harder to do here with no tracking software, but still worth the effort i imagine if you have volume v players or are willing to keep eg a googledoc open on the side of your tables.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Thank you teddy great post this is somthing i am looking at the now and you have gave some great advice.

First: 7/1/2016
    Last: 26/1/2016
    what kind of things do you write on a players notes? I've only really just started using them normally to express my anger on a fish or a bad player. I don't often write notes on a good player I just recognise the name and already know I'm about to be slaughterd at the table. I just don't know what info I would find useful if I was to play against them again.

Thanks

Also me personally i ask them all they,re phone numbers(well at least when they look like you :@}

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Players notes : Thank you teddy great post this is somthing i am looking at the now and you have gave some great advice. asmithx Posts: 21 First: 7/1/2016 Last: 26/1/2016 what kind of things do you write on a players notes? I've only really just started using them normally to express my anger on a fish or a bad player. I don't often write notes on a good player I just recognise the name and already know I'm about to be slaughterd at the table. I just don't know what info I would find useful if I was to play against them again. Thanks Also me personally i ask them all they,re phone numbers(well at least when they look like you :@}
    Posted by churchy18
    Hahaha so smoooothhh
  • edited January 2016

I make extensive use of the note facility, but with 6 tables on the go, I need the info to be fast & concise, as I don't have time to read too much.

So my main note use is to Colour Code every player. That gives me a rough guide to how they play, & I can see it without even opening the note facility as the players avatar becomes circled in the appropriate colour.

I do add brief notes on each player, but these are minimal. For a good player, my note might just say that - "GOOD" - but above that, I just extend the word according to ability - so they can be GOOOD, GOOOOD, GOOOOOD etc.

One player of my acquaintance uses the same system, & his notes on me say.....

BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

• edited January 2016
    I have a note on Tikay

Engage him in chat about the rubbish freerolls and late reg errors in lobbies.

He tilts like you wouldn't believe when you do that
  • edited January 2016

^^^^

A chap came on my Table recently - he was an "observer" not actually playing that game - to ask me....

"why is sky such a crock of sh*te?????".

Note the 5 question marks, in case I am so stupid I missed the first 4.

He has played north of 20,000 games on Sky Poker, & still plays every night here.

I so wanted to reply "so why do you still play here?", but I can't really, can I?

• edited January 2016
    Some of my player notes are....

'Likes sausage sarnies'
    'Doesn't like dogs'
    'Likes Tunisia'
    'Has pet goat'
    'Vegetarian'
    'Thinks I'm stupid'
    'Lardy Cake'

• edited January 2016
    Some of my player notes are.... 'Likes sausage sarnies' 'Doesn't like dogs' 'Likes Tunisia' 'Has pet goat' 'Vegetarian' 'Thinks I'm stupid' 'Lardy Cake'
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Any other notes on me?
  • edited January 2016
    This thread is hilarious, can't thank you enough. Just what I needed to make me laugh and cheer me up.
  • edited January 2016
    I would advise making simple notes in the player notes section, perhaps outlining your opponents largest leak or something, and then go into more depth on an external page. I use a notebook and handwrite everything but of course the electronic notebook works just as well - this works quite well since the Sky Poker notebox has limited capacity and is quite frustrating to open/read sometimes, especially with a lot written. 
  • edited January 2016
    An "offline" notebook paper or electronic also has the advantage that you can check ids before you sit at a table to decide if it is good or bad value. 

I like to colour code too

Green = Novice
    Yellow = Solid but straight forward
    Red = Tricky Reg
    Purple = Maniac

I prefer to have some evidence to back it up in the notes and particular weaknesses / betting / calling traits.

Putting additional references in to the type of games/levels and dates can be useful too. I have alot of notes from players on the spinup tables but they dont tend to stay valid if I then see them in a deepstack mtt or a plo8 dym.

I also note some bad etiquette - e,g, players who sit out and miraculously return with a strong hand and slow-rollers. The former narrows your range for staying in the hand if 3 bet and the latter helps prevent you tilting the 2nd time they do it to you because you expected it. I am tempted to start typing things like "drumroll.....shows the nuts" and posting it 0.5 seconds before they show just so they know I know.

• edited January 2016
    I have 3 simple notes, good, bad  and ugly.

So without naming names Stikay1 is good Teddie2 is bad and Stuartw117is ugly.

Hope that helps,

Ger (and yes I like the pic too!)

• edited January 2016
    There's much good advice and humour in this thread already, I'd like to add this;

If you don't subscribe to Sharkscope, but frequently use all five daily free searches and wish you had more, I recommend you make a note of the stats of most interest to you together with the date against a player each time you look him/her up. You'll soon have stats on hand for all the opponents you face regularly without needing to go to Sharkscope.
  • edited January 2016
    PS Easy way to double your daily allowance.

Use 5 searches on your normal pc tablet or laptop.

Then disconnect your phone from wifi and search via 3g/4g. Different device and ip addresses so you get a 2 lots of 5.
  • edited January 2016
    I have 3 simple notes, good, bad  and ugly. So without naming names Stikay1 is good Teddie2 is bad and Stuartw117is ugly. Hope that helps, Ger (and yes I like the pic too!)
    Posted by gerardirl
    I demand this thread to be closed

Ps i also like your pic Asmithx

I offer one on one training for free
  • edited January 2016
    PS Easy way to double your daily allowance. Use 5 searches on your normal pc tablet or laptop. Then disconnect your phone from wifi and search via 3g/4g. Different device and ip addresses so you get a 2 lots of 5.
    Posted by Phantom66

Haha yes I do that discovered it one day, I pay for sharkscope anyway but i still end up running out of searches then  start using the 3G on my  iPad and phone :) 

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Players notes : I demand this thread to be closed Ps i also like your pic Asmithx I offer one on one training for free
    Posted by stuarty117

Haha behave this isn't match.com,  I had a dodgy private message the other day from a player asking if I had Skype and what's app so he could send me a pic of him self hahaha fml 
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Players notes : Haha behave this isn't match.com,  I had a dodgy private message the other day from a player asking if I had Skype and what's app so he could send me a pic of him self hahaha fml 
    Posted by asmithx

oh tikay

• edited January 2016
    I would be more then happy to receive a picture from Tikay he's such a cutie <3 
  • edited January 2016
    And do you have skype?

lol