You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tonight's live Sky Poker show on Sky Sports 4 at 10pm...

edited January 2016 in Poker Chat

Afternoon all,

We're live again in a few hours (26th January) for another show of poker and banter- playing on the tables of Sky Poker.com.

It’s Sky Sports 4 at 10pm for a LIVE...                     

Usual deal, if you don't have Sky Sports then it'll be on YouTube in 7 days time. 

Last week’s show, in which yours truly, came mighty close to embarrassing pro Kevin Williams on the tables has just gone up on YouTube in the last few minutes and can be seen, hot off the press, here.

And we’re breaking tradition for our fight tonight...

-----------------------------------------------

Ladieeeeeees and gentlemennnnnnnnnn!

It's... 

PRO V PRO!

In the blue pro corner...              

The North Eastern Necromancer- Ian Simpson!

@IanSimpsonPoker

And in the red pro corner…                                          

The Eastend Electrifier- Kevin Allen!

@GamblngPays

And, stepping in at the last minute for Stu Rutter, (my sincere apologies)…it's

Tikay!

@Tony_Kendall                

Kevin makes his Sky Poker debut tonight and he comes highly recommended. He’s the 2013 GUKPT grand final winner, a final tablist from the Poker Million and is knocking on the door of the all-time England Top 100 money-list.

Look like Ian has got his work cut out maintaining the pro team’s amazing performance so far on the show…oh, wait. ;-)

See you all later at 10. The tweet handle to get in touch with the show is #skypokertv

Comments

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Tonight's live Sky Poker show on Sky Sports 4 at 10pm...:
    Afternoon all,   We're live again in a few hours (26th January) for another show of poker and banter- playing on the tables of Sky Poker.com.   It’s Sky Sports 4 at 10pm for a LIVE...                          Usual deal, if you don't have Sky Sports then it'll be on YouTube in 7 days time.    Last week’s show, in which yours truly, came mighty close to embarrassing pro Kevin Williams on the tables has just gone up on YouTube in the last few minutes and can be seen, hot off the press,  here.   And we’re breaking tradition for our fight tonight...               ----------------------------------------------- Ladieeeeeees and gentlemennnnnnnnnn! It's...  PRO V PRO!   In the blue pro corner...                                                              The North Eastern Necromancer- Ian Simpson! @IanSimpsonPoker     And in the red pro corner…                                                                                                                                    The Eastend Electrifier- Kevin Allen! @GamblngPays   And, stepping in at the last minute for Stu Rutter, (my sincere apologies)…it's                                      Tikay! @Tony_Kendall                                                                                        Kevin makes his Sky Poker debut tonight and he comes highly recommended. He’s the 2013 GUKPT grand final winner, a final tablist from the Poker Million and is knocking on the door of the all-time England Top 100 money-list.   Look like Ian has got his work cut out maintaining the pro team’s amazing performance so far on the show…oh, wait. ;-)   See you all later at 10. The tweet handle to get in touch with the show is #skypokertv
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    It's been a while since I've been in these parts - but I'll be watching live tonight - and playing along in the Turbo Tuesday main event :-)
  • edited January 2016
    gl guys have a good show
  • edited January 2016
    really good show tonight.

Actually much prefer when there are two pros playing.
  • edited January 2016
    1 will look forward 2 the u & harry show neil lol gl run well sir
  • edited January 2016
    Cheers guys. Enjoyed the show last night.

And I think we may have found a new sofa star in Kevin Allen.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Tonight's live Sky Poker show on Sky Sports 4 at 10pm...:
    Cheers guys. Enjoyed the show last night. And I think we may have found a new sofa star in Kevin Allen.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    kevin was very good all his advice was sound and came accross as a good guy he is a keeper for the shown deffo
  • edited January 2016
    Hi guys, it's Kevin Allen here. 

I really appreciate the kind words regarding Tuesday nights live show, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

Have to say what a great job Richard did at presenting, his such a class act, he made it look so easy.  He also made me feel very relaxed throughout.  Tikay also just made it all look so simple, I like how he simplified his analysis and explained it really well for the viewers.  Also love how he just laughed off all the gags that were constantly fired at him.

It was great fun battling it out vs Ian Simpson, his a really nice, friendly guy.  He has a great poker brain and a real passion for the game, he will no doubt be about the felt for a very long time. I wish him all the best on the live circuit, hopefully the next time we bump heads it will be on a final table somewhere.  

• edited January 2016
    I never knew Tikay had a younger brother?

Sadly missed the show but it sounds worth the catch up on you tube.

Appreciate the effort to come on here and post Mr Allen.
  • edited January 2016

"Tikay1914?"

Say what?

That's outrageous.
  • edited January 2016
    I never knew Tikay had a younger brother? Sadly missed the show but it sounds worth the catch up on you tube. Appreciate the effort to come on here and post Mr Allen.
    Posted by Phantom66
    It'll be available on the Sky Poker You Tube Channel from next Tuesday, & I'll post a link to it then.
  • edited January 2016

Just to add a little flavour to the debate.

The Team at Sky Poker TV - Dan, Chan & Louis mainly - work SO hard, & don't seem to get the recognition I think they deserve, so it's lovely to see the positivity.

Several of you mentioned that you enjoyed the "Pro v Pro" format, & for me, personally, I enjoyed this one more than most, as I was able to do a fair bit of educational stuff (for beginners), & I enjoy that, & it's one of the few things I do well. It also fits the audience on Sky Sports - the poker curious, to whom we are reaching out - perfectly.

There's a "but" though. Ain't there always?

The whole idea of these Shows on Sky Sports is to have a bit of a sporting or TV Celeb, as that better appeals to the Sky Sports audience. With all due respect to Kevin & Ian - both of whom I look up to immensely - Sky Sports viewers will tune in & think "who are they?" Whereas a boxer, athlete, TV Presenter or soap star or whatever has them saying "ooh, he's that bloke off the telly".

Finally, I hope you'll be seeing more of Kev on the Show - he was just wonderful, I thought, a complete natural. Not sure about that outrageous alias, though.

The only fly in the ointment was Orford. I have nothing further to say about him, he does not show up on my radar at all.     

• edited January 2016
    Finished watching at 3.30am today. 

Twas a great show again, thanks all involved.

Nice photo of Tikay wearing the bandana.

One thing that tickled me (not a critisism, just something that made me chuckle) was the big discussion about the power of being in position, then straight after Kevin took down a pot using the power of being out of position :)  or the "power of reverse position" as it was described. One of those quirks of the beautiful game.

• edited January 2016

Always nice to get some feedback. It is very hard to know what people are thinking about these shows. The viewing figures are amazing and WAY higher (like 40x and 50x higher than they were on the old channel some nights). It is very hard to say whether this is due to the great presenters guests and content or just randomly depends on if there is a good film on ITV or if the football was a big game and it just finished.

There are broadly three groups of viewers...

Those totally new to poker having a little look and seeing what it's all about.

Those that play poker but have never played on Sky and may never have heard of it.

Those who play on Sky already.

For the money it cost the aim should always be 100% to aim for the 1st group and not worry so much about the other two but when anyone gives any feedback either here or on social media they are very likely to be from the latter two groups.

I'm interested to hear that the pro on pro was popular (presumably because the actual standard of poker is better?) and I'm sure Dan would be happy to think of  life where he didn't have to attempt to lure relatively famous ex-sports stars with a decent fan-base to come to Isleworth on the promise of a free taxi-ride and a miniscule fee while also juggling those that cancel at the last minute and letting-down those who want on the gravy train who may be passed their sell-by date.

I suspect the celebs may get us closer to the elusive first group but there is no guarantee of that.

I certainly think this week and last week were fun shows that I enjoyed despite the lack of an "outside" star. It would be interesting to get feedback from a viewer from the first category and I believe the fellas in Leeds are working on that kind of market research.
  • edited January 2016
     Always nice to get some feedback. It is very hard to know what people are thinking about these shows. The viewing figures are amazing and WAY higher (like 40x and 50x higher than they were on the old channel some nights). It is very hard to say whether this is due to the great presenters guests and content or just randomly depends on if there is a good film on ITV or if the football was a big game and it just finished.  There are broadly three groups of viewers...  Those totally new to poker having a little look and seeing what it's all about.  Those that play poker but have never played on Sky and may never have heard of it.  Those who play on Sky already.  For the money it cost the aim should always be 100% to aim for the 1st group and not worry so much about the other two but when anyone gives any feedback either here or on social media they are very likely to be from the latter two groups.  I'm interested to hear that the pro on pro was popular (presumably because the actual standard of poker is better?) and I'm sure Dan would be happy to think of  life where he didn't have to attempt to lure relatively famous ex-sports stars with a decent fan-base to come to Isleworth on the promise of a free taxi-ride and a miniscule fee while also juggling those that cancel at the last minute and letting-down those who want on the gravy train who may be passed their sell-by date.  I suspect the celebs may get us closer to the elusive first group but there is no guarantee of that.  I certainly think this week and last week were fun shows that I enjoyed despite the lack of an "outside" star. It would be interesting to get feedback from a viewer from the first category and I believe the fellas in Leeds are working on that kind of market research.
    Posted by NChanning

good post neil.

ps.  unfortunately, those players in that first category are probably not reading your post on this forum.  of course there is no mention of the site nor the forum on the skysports tv show.  i suppose it is like people in london being asked for an opinion about "River City".

• edited January 2016
     Always nice to get some feedback. It is very hard to know what people are thinking about these shows. The viewing figures are amazing and WAY higher (like 40x and 50x higher than they were on the old channel some nights). It is very hard to say whether this is due to the great presenters guests and content or just randomly depends on if there is a good film on ITV or if the football was a big game and it just finished.  There are broadly three groups of viewers...  Those totally new to poker having a little look and seeing what it's all about.  Those that play poker but have never played on Sky and may never have heard of it.  Those who play on Sky already.  For the money it cost the aim should always be 100% to aim for the 1st group and not worry so much about the other two but when anyone gives any feedback either here or on social media they are very likely to be from the latter two groups.  I'm interested to hear that the pro on pro was popular (presumably because the actual standard of poker is better?) and I'm sure Dan would be happy to think of  life where he didn't have to attempt to lure relatively famous ex-sports stars with a decent fan-base to come to Isleworth on the promise of a free taxi-ride and a miniscule fee while also juggling those that cancel at the last minute and letting-down those who want on the gravy train who may be passed their sell-by date.  I suspect the celebs may get us closer to the elusive first group but there is no guarantee of that.  I certainly think this week and last week were fun shows that I enjoyed despite the lack of an "outside" star. It would be interesting to get feedback from a viewer from the first category and I believe the fellas in Leeds are working on that kind of market research.
    Posted by NChanning

+1

• edited January 2016
    Just to add a little flavour to the debate.   The Team at Sky Poker TV - Dan, Chan & Louis mainly - work SO hard, & don't seem to get the recognition I think they deserve, so it's lovely to see the positivity. Several of you mentioned that you enjoyed the "Pro v Pro" format, & for me, personally, I enjoyed this one more than most, as I was able to do a fair bit of educational stuff (for beginners), & I enjoy that, & it's one of the few things I do well. It also fits the audience on Sky Sports - the poker curious , to whom we are reaching out - perfectly.   There's a "but" though. Ain't there always? The whole idea of these Shows on Sky Sports is to have a bit of a sporting or TV Celeb, as that better appeals to the Sky Sports audience. With all due respect to Kevin & Ian - both of whom I look up to immensely - Sky Sports viewers will tune in & think "who are they?" Whereas a boxer, athlete, TV Presenter or soap star or whatever has them saying "ooh, he's that bloke off the telly".   Finally, I hope you'll be seeing more of Kev on the Show - he was just wonderful, I thought, a complete natural. Not sure about that outrageous alias, though.   The only fly in the ointment was Orford. I have nothing further to say about him, he does not show up on my radar at all.       
    Posted by Tikay10
  • edited January 2016
    I'm interested to hear that the pro on pro was popular (presumably because the actual standard of poker is better?)
    Posted by NChanning

Yes the standard was better, which leads to more interesting analysis, but also Kevin as a guest is engaging, humorous, and interesting to listen to.

Pro vs Pro wouldn't work so well if one was one of those young hoodie wearing poker droids, who's idea of humour is the story about flopping a set vs top pair nut flush draw and getting it all-in.

The 'platinum level' show could well be Sam Razavi vs Neil Channing :-D

Keep up the great show peeps!