You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

type as way spayk

edited January 2016 in Poker Chat
so there is so many regional accents , how do we spayk 
im abit wasted .now now..and was thinkin way all talk the queens english but in diffrent ways
so  how do yer spayk,i talk wi a potteries accent,if i talked wi an old potteries acsent thee wudna understand eet but ova thee years its mellowed abit
so i,ll say before thee poker plod jump on me back wi ett bein a poker forum for an example like,on the break i,ll say to mar lady,dust want a brew duck,she,ll say,aye goarrrn duck,i,ll say dust want tay or coffee duck,,she,ll say ill av coffee duck,
i,ll say dust want suger or swaytner duck ,she,ll say what ever duck....she has swaytner..eg eg
so for this thread type as way spayk

love to hear how thee yorkies an geordies and everyone else spayks by type it,ll be fun

this is a very drunk post so ignor if thee want an let it dissappear into oblivion..nite nite folks
probs wake up in thee mornin an think FM

Comments

• edited January 2016
    lol class, stokey. Our lass doesn't drink tea but drinks coffee and I tell her ti make her own, if she did like tea Id ask her if she'd like "a cuppa skad".
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to type as way spayk:
    so there is so many regional accents , how do we spayk  im abit wasted .now now..and was thinkin way all talk the queens english but in diffrent ways so  how do yer spayk,i talk wi a potteries accent,if i talked wi an old potteries acsent thee wudna understand eet but ova thee years its mellowed abit so i,ll say before thee poker plod jump on me back wi ett bein a poker forum for an example like,on the break i,ll say to mar lady,dust want a brew duck,she,ll say,aye goarrrn duck,i,ll say dust want tay or coffee duck,,she,ll say ill av coffee duck, i,ll say dust want suger or swaytner duck ,she,ll say what ever duck....she has swaytner..eg eg so for this thread type as way spayk love to hear how thee yorkies an geordies and everyone else spayks by type it,ll be fun this is a very drunk post so ignor if thee want an let it dissappear into oblivion..nite nite folks probs wake up in thee mornin an think FM
    Posted by stokefc
    Would love to reply in depth, but the Lord ot Rings trilogy is starting and my toad int hole is ready.
  • edited January 2016

afternoon stokesy,

in lived in durham for 10 years and learnt to say,

"i'm ganning dooon the roo-ad to get a bee-acon roo-al"

• edited January 2016
    Last time i was in Stoke, no, the time before that.

I went into a cake shop and bought a barm cake, and the woman behind the counter said, "alright Duck".

Let me tell you right now, there were no ducks in that shop.

Never been back since. Apart from the last time.
  • edited January 2016

a tom o'connor observation in bolton (i think)...

a man goes into his local shop and says, (phonetically) "have you got any turps?"
    the shopkeeper replies, "yes.  would you like audio or video turps?"

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: type as way spayk:
    Last time i was in Stoke, no, the time before that. I went into a cake shop and bought a barm cake, and the woman behind the counter said, "alright Duck". Let me tell you right now, there were no ducks in that shop. Never been back since. Apart from the last time.
    Posted by mumsie
    One of the most distinct regional variations is in how we describe those.

In London, they are called a "roll", or "bread roll".

In the East Midlands they are called "cobs", which in correct usage can mean a horse, a man swan, iron, a bad mood or chunter "he's got a cob on", or any number of things.

Elsewhere they are called "baps", & baps are often the subject of double entendre's, referring to lady's breastage.

Local dialect is quite amazing, really.

Sadly, the wireless has become a bit silly, as the BBC seem to think we should listen to regional dialects, so we had to try & translate the likes of Andy Kershaw* for years, speaking northern-ish. Clearly, all announcers & the like should have a London accent, like HM The Queen.

* - What a sad & strange story Andy Kershaw was. Enough rambling, carry on.    

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: type as way spayk:
    In Response to Re: type as way spayk : One of the most distinct regional variations is in how we describe those. In London, they are called a "roll", or "bread roll". In the East Midlands they are called "cobs", which in correct usage can mean a horse, a man swan, iron, a bad mood or chunter " he's got a cob on ", or any number of things.   Elsewhere they are called "baps", & baps are often the subject of double entendre's, referring to lady's breastage. Local dialect is quite amazing, really.   Sadly, the wireless has become a bit silly, as the BBC seem to think we should listen to regional dialects, so we had to try & translate the likes of Andy Kershaw* for years, speaking northern-ish. Clearly, all announcers & the like should have a London accent, like HM The Queen.   * - What a sad & strange story Andy Kershaw was. Enough rambling, carry on.         
    Posted by Tikay10

sausage on a bap has quite a different meaning North of the border.....
  • edited January 2016
    One of the things that amazed me when I did my end-end walk was how rapidly local accents/dialects changed. Literally every day there was a noticeable difference, gradually morphing from North East Scottish to broad Cornish over the course of 43 walking days.

The biggest daily difference I remember noticing was during the stage from Stone to Walsall (which was walked with a sore head after a heavy night with Maxally in his local boozer :).

In Stone the accent was very similar to that in Stoke. By the time I stopped for lunch in Hednesford, just 17 miles away after crossing Cannock Chase, all the locals sounded like Jasper Carrot.

I mentioned the changing accents in my blog that day....

http://thewalkingmilkman.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/day-28-stone-to-walsall.html