You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

loose value bets, do I raise with top pair or do wait until the turn?

edited February 2016 in The Poker Clinic
i've got notes down of this player being the type being the type of player who'll donk bet a wide range of his hits on flopa wider range of hand which he might hit on the flop but he does turn more passive on the turn both good and bad hands.

Holding top pair i'm certain to be ahad of him most days but do I make the raise on the flop or do I make a call and do a value bet when he checks the turn?
x Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £7.38
craigcu12 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.45
-Typhoon- Sit out        
  Your hole cards
  • K

AntonyR Fold        
snezwad Fold        
dunn11 Fold        
x Call   £0.02 £0.08 £7.36
craigcu12 Raise   £0.08 £0.16 £4.37
x Call   £0.08 £0.24 £7.28
Flop

• K
  • Q

x Bet   £0.24 £0.48 £7.04
craigcu12 ?

Comments

• edited February 2016
    And he always pots it? And how does he react to raises - is he likely to go mad with a weak Kx or a Qx here and call down?
  • edited February 2016
    He's know to consistantly make bets around the pot size, don't know much on how he'll react if raised but he does ch most turn cards even as top pair.
  • edited February 2016
    If he is doing this a lot then he will have a lot of weak holdings/bluffs. I don't see any value in raising unless we're prepared to get it all in here which I fail to see why we would. So I would call and re-evaluate later streets. When in these situations, and any situation facing a bet, just look at your pot odds, and your hand strength vs their entire range, and the price your getting on a call. It's a call and likely a call most turns and rivers depending on actions. 
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to loose value bets, do I raise with top pair or do wait until the turn?:
    i've got notes down of this player being the type being the type of player who'll donk bet a wide range of his hits on flopa wider range of hand which he might hit on the flop but he does turn more passive on the turn both good and bad hands. 
    Posted by craigcu12
    With this in mind, you may also want to balance value and bluff floats so flatting is perfectly fine. 
  • edited February 2016
    I don't know how you managed to get "reads" on someone in a 2p/4p cash game. It is a shove fest anytime I view the games; you'd need to follow a long play mathematical strategy (ie play 60/40 odds 100 times) to win from what I've seen. 

Not going to comment further on hand, play is too volatile and unrelated to pot odds and board texture at that level. Even low level SNGs you build a picture from bubble play etc. 2p/4p is wild west imo.
  • edited February 2016
    I make the call with intent to value bet the turn but another queen came so I check back and then call a bet done on river, it was Q7o he had.
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: loose value bets, do I raise with top pair or do wait until the turn?:
    I don't know how you managed to get "reads" on someone in a 2p/4p cash game. It is a shove fest anytime I view the games; you'd need to follow a long play mathematical strategy (ie play 60/40 odds 100 times) to win from what I've seen.  Not going to comment further on hand, play is too volatile and unrelated to pot odds and board texture at that level. Even low level SNGs you build a picture from bubble play etc. 2p/4p is wild west imo.
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    NL4 players are the easiest ones to get a reading of, all you need to do is play close attention to his aggressieoion and you'll  have a decent idea of what sort of hands he's holding.

The bit about being unrelated to pot odds and board texture tells you straight away who leaks chips and who'll gain chips all it needs is for yourself to be good with hand selection and you'll drain chips frm others.
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: loose value bets, do I raise with top pair or do wait until the turn?:
    In Response to Re: loose value bets, do I raise with top pair or do wait until the turn? : NL4 players are the easiest ones to get a reading of, all you need to do is play close attention to his aggressieoion and you'll  have a decent idea of what sort of hands he's holding. The bit about being unrelated to pot odds and board texture tells you straight away who leaks chips and who'll gain chips all it needs is for yourself to be good with hand selection and you'll drain chips frm others.
    Posted by craigcu12
    I will leave that volatility to you. I get suckouts for and against me in tourneys (sngs) all the time, but in cash, the format seems to favour have a go heroes who shove with min buy in and the token guy with 3 max buy ins.  5p/10p and higher, strategy comes into play more, but cash games ane me do not get along :D